Purifying disdain and negative thoughts towards spiritual teachers

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Post Reply
Kamshan
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:41 am

Purifying disdain and negative thoughts towards spiritual teachers

Post by Kamshan » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:31 pm

Hi everyone,

What practices are there for purifying past disdain and negative thoughts towards one's spiritual teachers? What has worked for you?
In this case, I am not referring specifically to broken Tantric samaya, but any sort of ill will, criticism, etc. towards those who teach the Dharma to us.

Miroku
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:18 am

Re: Purifying disdain and negative thoughts towards spiritual teachers

Post by Miroku » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:45 pm

Kamshan wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:31 pm
Hi everyone,

What practices are there for purifying past disdain and negative thoughts towards one's spiritual teachers? What has worked for you?
In this case, I am not referring specifically to broken Tantric samaya, but any sort of ill will, criticism, etc. towards those who teach the Dharma to us.
Vajrasattva, or tsok or samaya vajra if you are Gelug.
Child, if you are not hypocritical and out of control, that is conduct.
~ Padampa Sangye

You say such clever things to people, but you do not apply them to yourself.
The faults within you are the ones to be exposed.
~ Padampa Sangye

PeterC
Posts: 597
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 12:38 pm

Re: Purifying disdain and negative thoughts towards spiritual teachers

Post by PeterC » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:44 am

Kamshan wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:31 pm
Hi everyone,

What practices are there for purifying past disdain and negative thoughts towards one's spiritual teachers? What has worked for you?
In this case, I am not referring specifically to broken Tantric samaya, but any sort of ill will, criticism, etc. towards those who teach the Dharma to us.
1. A proper understanding of the nature of the guru
2. The usual purification practices, particularly Vajrasattva

User avatar
Vasana
Posts: 1745
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:22 am

Re: Purifying disdain and negative thoughts towards spiritual teachers

Post by Vasana » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:25 am

PeterC wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:44 am
Kamshan wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:31 pm
Hi everyone,

What practices are there for purifying past disdain and negative thoughts towards one's spiritual teachers? What has worked for you?
In this case, I am not referring specifically to broken Tantric samaya, but any sort of ill will, criticism, etc. towards those who teach the Dharma to us.
1. A proper understanding of the nature of the guru
2. The usual purification practices, particularly Vajrasattva
1 is very important and muli-layered. Reflect on the fact that all of the gates to Dharma, words and letters serve one purpose and that in this respect, the Guru , or anyone passing on the Dharma correctly for that matter, can be seen as extension of the Buddhas activities at the very least. You can strip it down even further in seeing that anything that reverses or liberates afflictions and dualistic conception is rare, wonderful and to be cherished.

Considering we don't even see our selves clearly most of the time we can be more confident knowing that any conception we have of our guru is also probably falling masively short of the reality of their dimension. This can be as true of both praise or disdain. Reflecting on your own condition within samsara and on Appreciation and gratitude can be good pathways for learning to see the preciousness of even a mediocre guru.
'When alone, watch your mind. When with others, watch your speech'- Old Kadampa saying.

User avatar
Malcolm
Posts: 28509
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Purifying disdain and negative thoughts towards spiritual teachers

Post by Malcolm » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:05 am

Completion stage practice is the best purification.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔


[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Dharmaswede
Posts: 213
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:22 pm

Re: Purifying disdain and negative thoughts towards spiritual teachers

Post by Dharmaswede » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:09 am

I think an important element of this process, at least for most Westerners, is understanding psychologically the source of these emotions and how they interplay with your psychological make up. Exploring that in the safety of dialogue with a trusted, and wise, Sangha member could be one way of doing it. Therapeutic writing another – James W. Pennebaker has written useful books on this method.

Miroku
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:18 am

Re: Purifying disdain and negative thoughts towards spiritual teachers

Post by Miroku » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:18 am

Dharmaswede wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:09 am
I think an important element of this process, at least for most Westerners, is understanding psychologically the source of these emotions and how they interplay with your psychological make up. Exploring that in the safety of dialogue with a trusted, and wise, Sangha member could be one way of doing it. Therapeutic writing another – James W. Pennebaker has written useful books on this method.
Honestly, not a big fan of psychology, but to add to your post I'd recommend The Pychology of Buddhist Tantra by Rob Preece. I didn't like most of it, but I'd say the chapter on the relationship with a guru is a spot on for westerners or at least helped me in many ways.
Child, if you are not hypocritical and out of control, that is conduct.
~ Padampa Sangye

You say such clever things to people, but you do not apply them to yourself.
The faults within you are the ones to be exposed.
~ Padampa Sangye

User avatar
javier.espinoza.t
Posts: 923
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:29 am
Location: Chile

Re: Purifying disdain and negative thoughts towards spiritual teachers

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:21 pm

Dharmaswede wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:09 am
I think an important element of this process, at least for most Westerners, is understanding psychologically the source of these emotions and how they interplay with your psychological make up. Exploring that in the safety of dialogue with a trusted, and wise, Sangha member could be one way of doing it. Therapeutic writing another – James W. Pennebaker has written useful books on this method.
in general is good to know why things happen, but doing analysis depends on which teaching you are applying.
what are you doing

Post Reply

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: heart and 36 guests