Purifying disdain and negative thoughts towards spiritual teachers

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Kamshan

Purifying disdain and negative thoughts towards spiritual teachers

Post by Kamshan »

Hi everyone,

What practices are there for purifying past disdain and negative thoughts towards one's spiritual teachers? What has worked for you?
In this case, I am not referring specifically to broken Tantric samaya, but any sort of ill will, criticism, etc. towards those who teach the Dharma to us.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Re: Purifying disdain and negative thoughts towards spiritual teachers

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Kamshan wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:31 pm Hi everyone,

What practices are there for purifying past disdain and negative thoughts towards one's spiritual teachers? What has worked for you?
In this case, I am not referring specifically to broken Tantric samaya, but any sort of ill will, criticism, etc. towards those who teach the Dharma to us.
Vajrasattva, or tsok or samaya vajra if you are Gelug.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

1. A proper understanding of the nature of the guru
2. The usual purification practices, particularly Vajrasattva
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

PeterC wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:44 am

1. A proper understanding of the nature of the guru
2. The usual purification practices, particularly Vajrasattva
1 is very important and muli-layered. Reflect on the fact that all of the gates to Dharma, words and letters serve one purpose and that in this respect, the Guru , or anyone passing on the Dharma correctly for that matter, can be seen as extension of the Buddhas activities at the very least. You can strip it down even further in seeing that anything that reverses or liberates afflictions and dualistic conception is rare, wonderful and to be cherished.

Considering we don't even see our selves clearly most of the time we can be more confident knowing that any conception we have of our guru is also probably falling masively short of the reality of their dimension. This can be as true of both praise or disdain. Reflecting on your own condition within samsara and on Appreciation and gratitude can be good pathways for learning to see the preciousness of even a mediocre guru.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Completion stage practice is the best purification.
Dharmaswede

Post by Dharmaswede »

I think an important element of this process, at least for most Westerners, is understanding psychologically the source of these emotions and how they interplay with your psychological make up. Exploring that in the safety of dialogue with a trusted, and wise, Sangha member could be one way of doing it. Therapeutic writing another – James W. Pennebaker has written useful books on this method.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Dharmaswede wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:09 am I think an important element of this process, at least for most Westerners, is understanding psychologically the source of these emotions and how they interplay with your psychological make up. Exploring that in the safety of dialogue with a trusted, and wise, Sangha member could be one way of doing it. Therapeutic writing another – James W. Pennebaker has written useful books on this method.
Honestly, not a big fan of psychology, but to add to your post I'd recommend The Pychology of Buddhist Tantra by Rob Preece. I didn't like most of it, but I'd say the chapter on the relationship with a guru is a spot on for westerners or at least helped me in many ways.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Dharmaswede wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:09 am I think an important element of this process, at least for most Westerners, is understanding psychologically the source of these emotions and how they interplay with your psychological make up. Exploring that in the safety of dialogue with a trusted, and wise, Sangha member could be one way of doing it. Therapeutic writing another – James W. Pennebaker has written useful books on this method.
in general is good to know why things happen, but doing analysis depends on which teaching you are applying.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”