Lama X is in the neighbourhood next weekend

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Post Reply
Fortyeightvows
Posts: 2032
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:37 am

Lama X is in the neighbourhood next weekend

Post by Fortyeightvows » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:51 am

Simon E. wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:58 pm
because Lama X is in the neighbourhood next weekend.
This statement is worthy of it's own thread.

We have sort of set up this situation.
Why?
Visa only lets the lama stay for so long, that's part of it- but often then the lama may travel around and teach in a different town each week-some of it is because the people in this or that town will help sponsor him, etc.
But whenever there is a big empowerment with a high lama, there is always the same group of people who will go- they dont go to that or any other temple for regular practice, but they go to whatever temple has lama x doing the empowerment this week.

Even the temple we belong to has a very good lama who is there all year who gives teachings and leads chanting regularly. Not too many people show up- but when lama the big rinpoche comes, the whole shrine room will be full. Where are these people at the regular services? Some live far away and so of course can only come for major events, but everyone else?

Anyways when I read in the other thread about 'Lama X is in the neighbourhood next weekend' it made me think

Miroku
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:18 am

Re: Lama X is in the neighbourhood next weekend

Post by Miroku » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:28 am

Fortyeightvows wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:51 am
Simon E. wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:58 pm
because Lama X is in the neighbourhood next weekend.
This statement is worthy of it's own thread.

We have sort of set up this situation.
Why?
Visa only lets the lama stay for so long, that's part of it- but often then the lama may travel around and teach in a different town each week-some of it is because the people in this or that town will help sponsor him, etc.
But whenever there is a big empowerment with a high lama, there is always the same group of people who will go- they dont go to that or any other temple for regular practice, but they go to whatever temple has lama x doing the empowerment this week.

Even the temple we belong to has a very good lama who is there all year who gives teachings and leads chanting regularly. Not too many people show up- but when lama the big rinpoche comes, the whole shrine room will be full. Where are these people at the regular services? Some live far away and so of course can only come for major events, but everyone else?

Anyways when I read in the other thread about 'Lama X is in the neighbourhood next weekend' it made me think
It is normal. When Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche was in Prague there was a huge amount of people. I do not remember how many but it was one of his biggest retreats. However, in the local groups not many people appeared. Which is also kind of logical. Many people come from surrounding countries. Then there are also different groups in the state so the people disperse there. Etc. But yeah many people just get the teachings or empowerments and then do nothing. That happens often. I know a guy who is always talking how he wants to practice but never attends anything and forgets even the simplest of practices. :D Sometimes the dharma is not such a high priority.
Child, if you are not hypocritical and out of control, that is conduct.
~ Padampa Sangye

You say such clever things to people, but you do not apply them to yourself.
The faults within you are the ones to be exposed.
~ Padampa Sangye

User avatar
Mantrik
Posts: 1728
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Lama X is in the neighbourhood next weekend

Post by Mantrik » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:53 am

Miroku wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:28 am

It is normal. When Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche was in Prague there was a huge amount of people. I do not remember how many but it was one of his biggest retreats. However, in the local groups not many people appeared. Which is also kind of logical. Many people come from surrounding countries. Then there are also different groups in the state so the people disperse there. Etc. But yeah many people just get the teachings or empowerments and then do nothing. That happens often. I know a guy who is always talking how he wants to practice but never attends anything and forgets even the simplest of practices. :D Sometimes the dharma is not such a high priority.
Even with ChNN people wanted to receive transmissions 'in person' and of course for most Vajrayana empowerments that is the only way, so it is essential to attend.

But you don't need a group setting to practice, of course.

Occasionally I like to go to a group, but generally I really don't like group settings at all.
Vajrayana is also capable of creating 'performance anxiety' as people may feel pressured to juggle damaru, bell, mala etc. and to sit in discomfort. A small group setting is a nightmare scenario for this.

So, there are good reasons to attend the large empowerments and good reasons people may avoid small groups.

The other reason, of course, is the 'Transmission Tart' who just wants to collect empowerments for the sake of it, or because they are always dissatisfied with practice, and rarely end up practising any properly. The more famous the Lama the better. I've never seen any research but I'd assume HHDL and Kalachakra top the charts.

I recall Dzogchen Rinpoce saying that in India when he gives a teaching a handful of people turn up, but when he gives an empowerment there are hordes of them, even bringing their kids along for a picnic to enjoy the event. :)
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

Miroku
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:18 am

Re: Lama X is in the neighbourhood next weekend

Post by Miroku » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:04 am

Mantrik wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:53 am

Even with ChNN people wanted to receive transmissions 'in person' and of course for most Vajrayana empowerments that is the only way, so it is essential to attend.

But you don't need a group setting to practice, of course.

Occasionally I like to go to a group, but generally I really don't like group settings at all.
Vajrayana is also capable of creating 'performance anxiety' as people may feel pressured to juggle damaru, bell, mala etc. and to sit in discomfort. A small group setting is a nightmare scenario for this.

So, there are good reasons to attend the large empowerments and good reasons people may avoid small groups.

The other reason, of course, is the 'Transmission Tart' who just wants to collect empowerments for the sake of it, or because they are always dissatisfied with practice, and rarely end up practising any properly. The more famous the Lama the better. I've never seen any research but I'd assume HHDL and Kalachakra top the charts.

I recall Dzogchen Rinpoce saying that in India when he gives a teaching a handful of people turn up, but when he gives an empowerment there are hordes of them, even bringing their kids along for a picnic to enjoy the event. :)
Oh, yeah sorry totally forgot about loners. Despite the fact I am slowly becoming one. :) Yeah many people have their own practice and prefer to do it alone or focus on a lineage that does not have a sangha near by. I for example focus on transmissions I got from my Drikung teachers, but try to attend ganapujas as often as I can.

Oh yeah, Transmission Tart, that is something my teacher always warns about. I really like the confidence of one of my DC friends he told me that yeah empowerments can boost ones practice a bit, but he has everything he needs to realize, so why would he go anywhere. Sad thing is that in that group of people I am the closes to being Transmission Tart. :(

Heh picnic transmission. Sounds like the ideal summer activity. Invite a rinpoche, make sandwiches and dont forget the blanket.
Child, if you are not hypocritical and out of control, that is conduct.
~ Padampa Sangye

You say such clever things to people, but you do not apply them to yourself.
The faults within you are the ones to be exposed.
~ Padampa Sangye

pemachophel
Posts: 1226
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:19 pm
Location: Lafayette, CO

Re: Lama X is in the neighbourhood next weekend

Post by pemachophel » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:01 pm

Question: What's the definition of an expert?

Answer: Someone from far away.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

User avatar
justsit
Posts: 945
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:24 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: Lama X is in the neighbourhood next weekend

Post by justsit » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:23 pm

pemachophel wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:01 pm
Question: What's the definition of an expert?

Answer: Someone from far away.
I always heard it was "someone who knows more and more about less and less until they finally know everything there is to know about nothing. " :tongue:

Varis
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:09 am

Re: Lama X is in the neighbourhood next weekend

Post by Varis » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:42 am

Secular answer: People like big names.
Buddhist answer: Karma.

User avatar
anjali
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:33 pm

Re: Lama X is in the neighbourhood next weekend

Post by anjali » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:55 am

justsit wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:23 pm
I always heard it was "someone who knows more and more about less and less until they finally know everything there is to know about nothing. " :tongue:
Wow. Haven't heard that one in a long time. Actually, that's pretty good from a Buddhist perspective--thoroughly knowing one's empty nature and such. :lol: :toilet:
Image

Dharma Wheel Terms of Service and Reporting Procedures.
Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for kindness. –-Seneca

Bristollad
Posts: 433
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:39 am

Re: Lama X is in the neighbourhood next weekend

Post by Bristollad » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:57 am

I had an uncle who explained what an expert was, this way:

Expert is made of two syllables, x and spurt.
X stands for an unknown
A spurt is a drip under pressure
So an expert is an unknown drip under pressure
:woohoo:
:rolling:

Post Reply

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anders, heart, Lobsang Chojor, Monlam Tharchin, Segatura and 86 guests