Lama X is in the neighbourhood next weekend

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Fortyeightvows

Lama X is in the neighbourhood next weekend

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Simon E. wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:58 pm because Lama X is in the neighbourhood next weekend.
This statement is worthy of it's own thread.

We have sort of set up this situation.
Why?
Visa only lets the lama stay for so long, that's part of it- but often then the lama may travel around and teach in a different town each week-some of it is because the people in this or that town will help sponsor him, etc.
But whenever there is a big empowerment with a high lama, there is always the same group of people who will go- they dont go to that or any other temple for regular practice, but they go to whatever temple has lama x doing the empowerment this week.

Even the temple we belong to has a very good lama who is there all year who gives teachings and leads chanting regularly. Not too many people show up- but when lama the big rinpoche comes, the whole shrine room will be full. Where are these people at the regular services? Some live far away and so of course can only come for major events, but everyone else?

Anyways when I read in the other thread about 'Lama X is in the neighbourhood next weekend' it made me think
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Re: Lama X is in the neighbourhood next weekend

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:51 am
Simon E. wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:58 pm because Lama X is in the neighbourhood next weekend.
This statement is worthy of it's own thread.

We have sort of set up this situation.
Why?
Visa only lets the lama stay for so long, that's part of it- but often then the lama may travel around and teach in a different town each week-some of it is because the people in this or that town will help sponsor him, etc.
But whenever there is a big empowerment with a high lama, there is always the same group of people who will go- they dont go to that or any other temple for regular practice, but they go to whatever temple has lama x doing the empowerment this week.

Even the temple we belong to has a very good lama who is there all year who gives teachings and leads chanting regularly. Not too many people show up- but when lama the big rinpoche comes, the whole shrine room will be full. Where are these people at the regular services? Some live far away and so of course can only come for major events, but everyone else?

Anyways when I read in the other thread about 'Lama X is in the neighbourhood next weekend' it made me think
It is normal. When Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche was in Prague there was a huge amount of people. I do not remember how many but it was one of his biggest retreats. However, in the local groups not many people appeared. Which is also kind of logical. Many people come from surrounding countries. Then there are also different groups in the state so the people disperse there. Etc. But yeah many people just get the teachings or empowerments and then do nothing. That happens often. I know a guy who is always talking how he wants to practice but never attends anything and forgets even the simplest of practices. :D Sometimes the dharma is not such a high priority.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Miroku wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:28 am
It is normal. When Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche was in Prague there was a huge amount of people. I do not remember how many but it was one of his biggest retreats. However, in the local groups not many people appeared. Which is also kind of logical. Many people come from surrounding countries. Then there are also different groups in the state so the people disperse there. Etc. But yeah many people just get the teachings or empowerments and then do nothing. That happens often. I know a guy who is always talking how he wants to practice but never attends anything and forgets even the simplest of practices. :D Sometimes the dharma is not such a high priority.
Even with ChNN people wanted to receive transmissions 'in person' and of course for most Vajrayana empowerments that is the only way, so it is essential to attend.

But you don't need a group setting to practice, of course.

Occasionally I like to go to a group, but generally I really don't like group settings at all.
Vajrayana is also capable of creating 'performance anxiety' as people may feel pressured to juggle damaru, bell, mala etc. and to sit in discomfort. A small group setting is a nightmare scenario for this.

So, there are good reasons to attend the large empowerments and good reasons people may avoid small groups.

The other reason, of course, is the 'Transmission Tart' who just wants to collect empowerments for the sake of it, or because they are always dissatisfied with practice, and rarely end up practising any properly. The more famous the Lama the better. I've never seen any research but I'd assume HHDL and Kalachakra top the charts.

I recall Dzogchen Rinpoce saying that in India when he gives a teaching a handful of people turn up, but when he gives an empowerment there are hordes of them, even bringing their kids along for a picnic to enjoy the event. :)
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Mantrik wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:53 am
Even with ChNN people wanted to receive transmissions 'in person' and of course for most Vajrayana empowerments that is the only way, so it is essential to attend.

But you don't need a group setting to practice, of course.

Occasionally I like to go to a group, but generally I really don't like group settings at all.
Vajrayana is also capable of creating 'performance anxiety' as people may feel pressured to juggle damaru, bell, mala etc. and to sit in discomfort. A small group setting is a nightmare scenario for this.

So, there are good reasons to attend the large empowerments and good reasons people may avoid small groups.

The other reason, of course, is the 'Transmission Tart' who just wants to collect empowerments for the sake of it, or because they are always dissatisfied with practice, and rarely end up practising any properly. The more famous the Lama the better. I've never seen any research but I'd assume HHDL and Kalachakra top the charts.

I recall Dzogchen Rinpoce saying that in India when he gives a teaching a handful of people turn up, but when he gives an empowerment there are hordes of them, even bringing their kids along for a picnic to enjoy the event. :)
Oh, yeah sorry totally forgot about loners. Despite the fact I am slowly becoming one. :) Yeah many people have their own practice and prefer to do it alone or focus on a lineage that does not have a sangha near by. I for example focus on transmissions I got from my Drikung teachers, but try to attend ganapujas as often as I can.

Oh yeah, Transmission Tart, that is something my teacher always warns about. I really like the confidence of one of my DC friends he told me that yeah empowerments can boost ones practice a bit, but he has everything he needs to realize, so why would he go anywhere. Sad thing is that in that group of people I am the closes to being Transmission Tart. :(

Heh picnic transmission. Sounds like the ideal summer activity. Invite a rinpoche, make sandwiches and dont forget the blanket.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Question: What's the definition of an expert?

Answer: Someone from far away.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
justsit

Post by justsit »

pemachophel wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:01 pm Question: What's the definition of an expert?

Answer: Someone from far away.
I always heard it was "someone who knows more and more about less and less until they finally know everything there is to know about nothing. " :tongue:
Varis

Post by Varis »

Secular answer: People like big names.
Buddhist answer: Karma.
"I have never encountered a person who committed bad deeds." ― Ven. Jìngkōng
anjali
Former staff member

Post by anjali »

justsit wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:23 pm I always heard it was "someone who knows more and more about less and less until they finally know everything there is to know about nothing. " :tongue:
Wow. Haven't heard that one in a long time. Actually, that's pretty good from a Buddhist perspective--thoroughly knowing one's empty nature and such. :lol: :toilet:
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

I had an uncle who explained what an expert was, this way:

Expert is made of two syllables, x and spurt.
X stands for an unknown
A spurt is a drip under pressure
So an expert is an unknown drip under pressure
:woohoo:
:rolling:
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”