A request to explain Vajrayana to a common Mahayanika

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Malcolm

Re: A request to explain Vajrayana to a common Mahayanika

Post by Malcolm » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:25 pm

Coëmgenu wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:54 am
Being the abhiṣikta of the daśadiktatathāgatāni (10-directional buddhas) is equivalent to having the realization of Śākyamunibuddha, that is why I am skeptical. I am not actually asking anything. In retrospect I should have never posted. My apologies.
It is possible for someone to attain full buddhahood from abhiṣeka, for example, King Indrabhuti I, etc., but it is exceedingly rare. For the most part, people receive the empowerment which creates a specific dependent origination of the cause (the five aggregates, etc.) with the result (the five buddha families, etc.), allowing one to view the five aggregates as the five buddhas, etc., thus allowing one to practice the result as the path.

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:14 pm

javier.espinoza.t wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:41 pm
Norwegian wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:27 am
Wayfarer wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:42 am

Which is probably a good argument for keeping them off Internet forums that any tom, dick or hari can sign up to on the strength of a valid email.
There are things from Vajrayana that can be discussed publicly, and there are things that cannot be discussed publicly. If you want to go down this particular lane (that of keeping off certain premises and tenets from regular folks) then I'm afraid the same thing must be done with common Mahayana, considering the Bodhisattva vows, i.e., not discussing emptiness with those who are not ready to hear such things... How can you know what person on this forum is ready to hear about emptiness or not?
Those who want to investigate what emptiness means, because of karma, will find out and understand what they can.

A person not interested in researching what emptiness means will never understand anything, nor be interested in this very conversation.

It is not so easy to say " this is emptines, it is this way...",
Hopefully all one can have is a sort of hint about it.

Danger i can foresee about explaining such thing in a discourse is that someone with blind fate would take it in a very distorted way...distorted like literal, in his own way, the way they like, as they want it to be, etc. That can be a ruin.
blind faith*, deviated faith.

sorry for writing wrong. :thanks:

LastLegend

Post by LastLegend » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:05 pm

There is difficulty with all methods because all methods use discriminating mind which creates duality in order to dissolve the discriminating mind. It’s easy said than done, but don’t be discouraged.
Clear!
Make personal specific vows to [for example, absorb karma of sentient beings], so that they can reach enlightenment quickly. With deep faith and trust, effects will be experienced immediately. If we can’t fulfill our vows, no problem Buddhas will help us do us; thus generate merit and strength to speed us up and lead us straight to unborn wisdom. This is not a matter of truth or not but faith and willingness. That’s what I was taught. Be aware take karma of sentient beings can be overwhelming. Only do what we are capable of.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”