That tassely thing that hangs down

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Lingpupa

That tassely thing that hangs down

Post by Lingpupa »

... like you have on a damaru. I'm looking for one to go on my kangling.

Where can I get one? You may guess that part of my problem might be that I don't know what it's called.

TIA, as netizens say.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: That tassely thing that hangs down

Post by Grigoris »

Lingpupa wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:54 pm ... like you have on a damaru. I'm looking for one to go on my kangling.

Where can I get one? You may guess that part of my problem might be that I don't know what it's called.

TIA, as netizens say.
https://potalagate.com/search?page=3&q=damaru
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
mechashivaz

Post by mechashivaz »

Grigoris wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:14 pm
Lingpupa wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:54 pm ... like you have on a damaru. I'm looking for one to go on my kangling.

TIA, as netizens say.
https://potalagate.com/search?page=3&q=damaru
:good:
I've used Potala Gate many times, great company and ships fast. Good customer service too.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

If you are in Europe you can also try Garuda Trading, though they tend to be quite pricey. https://garudashop.com/collections/damaru

I have also had good experiences with Tibetan Spirit https://tibetanspirit.com/collections/drums
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Thanks all. If I'd thought to search for "tail" I wouldn't have needed your help!
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Ron, a pal here in dw, sold me an excellent unpainted chö damaru, i adorned it's tail with sleightbells and synthetic furs , and want a melong as a more essential symbol, but this are expensive for me now. It became a very nice damaru really.

Maybe you can adorn it yourself, i looked here and there for information, i could gather it again for a small damaru if you like. It is a bit sad not having info in western lang. ritual implements are real treasures.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Thanks for the thought, Javier. In fact the tail isn't for a damaru - I have tails for both my normal and chöd drums. It's for the kangling. Plenty of people seem to use kanglings without a tail, but it seems like a nice idea to have one.
All best wishes

jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Lingpupa wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:46 pm Thanks for the thought, Javier. In fact the tail isn't for a damaru - I have tails for both my normal and chöd drums. It's for the kangling. Plenty of people seem to use kanglings without a tail, but it seems like a nice idea to have one.
I see, but, is there a tail for kangling in traditional ritual instruments? What would it mean?
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Alex1976

Post by Alex1976 »

Lingpupa wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:54 am Thanks all. If I'd thought to search for "tail" I wouldn't have needed your help!
it is called "chopen" in Tibetan. Try "Byt the Chopen" for example.
https://www.damaruworks.com/accessories/chopen-2/
Alex1976

Post by Alex1976 »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:57 pm I see, but, is there a tail for kangling in traditional ritual instruments? What would it mean?
I saw it a few times. But I think it is not common.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Perhaps more traditional than a chopen on the end of a kangling is a braided rawhide "whip" for whipping demons.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

pemachophel wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:03 pm Perhaps more traditional than a chopen on the end of a kangling is a braided rawhide "whip" for whipping demons.
Like this..
All best wishes

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”