Tibetan Yogis

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Mirror

Tibetan Yogis

Post by Mirror »

Hello, do you have any idea which tibetan buddhist lineage has the highest number of yogis? I know some lineages are more or less monastic. I'm just interested in Tibetan yogis as Milarepa.

Thank you every answer!
Thomas Amundsen

Re: Tibetan Yogis

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Do you mean lineage or school? And do you mean lay practitioners, or perhaps something like practitioners who are tsalung adepts?
ThreeVows

Post by ThreeVows »

I suspect you may get a lot of people just basically saying that their lineage is best.

With that said, here's a little bit from Mipham Rinpoche:

Nyingma followers of Secret Mantra emphasize the actual tantra.
They pursue the highest view and delight in conduct that is stable.
Many reach the vidyādhara levels and attain accomplishment,
And many are mantrins, whose power is greater than others.

Kagyü followers, the protectors of beings, emphasize devotion.
Many find that receiving the lineage's blessings is sufficient.
And many gain accomplishment through perseverance in the practice
They are similar to, and mix together with, the Nyingmapas.

The Riwo Gendenpas [Gelugpas] emphasize the ways of the learned.
They are fond of analytical meditation and delight in debate.
And they impress all with their elegant, exemplary conduct.
They are popular, prosperous, and put effort into learning.

The glorious Sakyapas emphasize approach and accomplishment.
Many are blessed through the power of recitation and visualisation,
They value their own ways and their regular practice is excellent.
When compared to any other school, they have something of them all.

Ema! All four dharma traditions of this land of Tibet
Have but one real source, even if they arose individually.
Whichever one you follow, if you practise it properly
It can bring the qualities of learning and accomplishment.

So, like children of the same father and same mother,
Cultivate mutual accord, devotion, and pure perception,
And, while focusing on your own tradition, avoid belittling others.
If you act in this way you will also be of service to the teachings.

http://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-mas ... s-of-tibet
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
yagmort

Post by yagmort »

nowadays it's mostly drukpa and drikung to the best of my knowledge. at least if we speak Mila repa way which is practice of Naropa six yogas and mahamudra.
perhaps shangpa too, but it's better to ask Cone.
there is Tsultrim Tarchin Repa of Barom kagyu who is now out of tibet, so perhaps we can count barom kagyu as well.

Seeker12, no lineage is "best") or better say there is no such thing as "best". one man's trash is anothers treasure.
i wouldn't even take someone's opinion into consideration at all if he'd say his lineage/car/job/hairstyle.. is best )
stay open, spread love
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

yagmort wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:37 pm nowadays it's mostly drukpa and drikung to the best of my knowledge. at least if we speak Mila repa way which is practice of Naropa six yogas and mahamudra.
perhaps shangpa too, but it's better to ask Cone.
there is Tsultrim Tarchin Repa of Barom kagyu who is now out of tibet, so perhaps we can count barom kagyu as well.

Seeker12, no lineage is "best") or better say there is no such thing as "best". one man's trash is anothers treasure.
i wouldn't even take someone's opinion into consideration at all if he'd say his lineage/car/job/hairstyle.. is best )
Oh shush, Drikung is THE BEST! :tongue:
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Basically, I'd say Nyingmapas have a huge amount of yogi masters, then ofc Kagyu lineages as mentioned before. Why are you asking, Mirror?
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Kris

Post by Kris »

Even in this world, and even now, there are said to be many hidden yogis or discreet yogis, called bepay naljor in Tibetan. It means those realized ones who are not generally recognized as great spiritual sages or saints, but have deeply tasted the fruit of enlightenment, and are living it. Perhaps they are anonymously doing their good works here among us right now!

The infinite vast expanse is one’s own inconceivable nature. Who can say who has realized it and who hasn’t? When we travel around the world or experience other dimensions, there are so many beings who have tasted it. We can see it in their behavior, in their countenance, and in stories that are told—not just in the Dzogchen tradition or the Buddhist tradition, but in any tradition, and in our Western world too.

This true nature is so vast and inconceivable that even some birds and animals and beings in other unseen dimensions can be said to have realized it, as in some of the ancient Indian Jataka stories and other teaching tales. It is always said that everything is the self-radiant display of the primordial Buddha Samantabhadra. There are infinite numbers of Buddhas and infinite numbers of beings. Who can say who is excluded from it?
Secret yogis ~ Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
yagmort

Post by yagmort »

Miroku wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:43 pm Oh shush, Drikung is THE BEST! :tongue:
let's go to lamayuru and shout that out loud
stay open, spread love
Mirror

Post by Mirror »

I'm asking because I want to know which lineage has the biggest emphasis on the tradition of yogis.
Kris

Post by Kris »

Mirror wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:22 pm I'm asking because I want to know which lineage has the biggest emphasis on the tradition of yogis.
From my understanding of what it means to be a yogi I'd have to opine Nyingma.
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
ThreeVows

Post by ThreeVows »

Sennin wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:45 pm
Even in this world, and even now, there are said to be many hidden yogis or discreet yogis, called bepay naljor in Tibetan. It means those realized ones who are not generally recognized as great spiritual sages or saints, but have deeply tasted the fruit of enlightenment, and are living it. Perhaps they are anonymously doing their good works here among us right now!

The infinite vast expanse is one’s own inconceivable nature. Who can say who has realized it and who hasn’t? When we travel around the world or experience other dimensions, there are so many beings who have tasted it. We can see it in their behavior, in their countenance, and in stories that are told—not just in the Dzogchen tradition or the Buddhist tradition, but in any tradition, and in our Western world too.

This true nature is so vast and inconceivable that even some birds and animals and beings in other unseen dimensions can be said to have realized it, as in some of the ancient Indian Jataka stories and other teaching tales. It is always said that everything is the self-radiant display of the primordial Buddha Samantabhadra. There are infinite numbers of Buddhas and infinite numbers of beings. Who can say who is excluded from it?
Secret yogis ~ Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
He was a great master.
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Josef

Post by Josef »

Mirror wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:22 pm I'm asking because I want to know which lineage has the biggest emphasis on the tradition of yogis.
Whether or not one is a yogi is dependent upon the individual.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
yagmort

Post by yagmort »

Josef wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:37 am Whether or not one is a yogi is dependent upon the individual.
the guy merely ask which school still has highest number of yogis in their tradition in Milarepa way. perhaps we got our "yogi" definition different. to me a yogi if we speak of vajrayana yogi is the one who practice yogas, ie do work on their subtle body, channels, winds, tigle etc. like i've been told "chagchen is an arrow, naro chö druk is a bow". whether one adopt six yogas as their lifetime practice and actually become a yogi - that's up to him, yes, but if we speak this way then drukpa and drikung are the ones of those few which still maintain 6 yogas practice in their main training, so basically any monk can become a yogi if he wishes to do so. other lineages may not have 6 yogas training in the first place, so if one wants to learn it one must go elsewhere and find a master who can teach them. and, at least in drukpa, not every person who studied/practice yogas authorized to teach them.
Last edited by yagmort on Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
stay open, spread love
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Is there a question behind that? Might help others give you more specific suggestions. Are you asking so as to figure out in which lineage you would most readily receive these practices, or would be most likely to end up living in a cave, or which one has the best bling? (For the latter - it’s clearly the Aro guys.)
Marc

Post by Marc »

yagmort wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:37 pm
there is Tsultrim Tarchin Repa of Barom kagyu who is now out of tibet,
Oh !!! Really ???
Quite a news !

Do you know where he is based now ?
Josef

Post by Josef »

yagmort wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:30 am
Josef wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:37 am Whether or not one is a yogi is dependent upon the individual.
the guy merely ask which school still has highest number of yogis in their tradition in Milarepa way. perhaps we got our "yogi" definition different. to me a yogi if we speak of vajrayana yogi is the one who practice yogas, ie do work on their subtle body, channels, winds, tigle etc. like i've been told "chagchen is an arrow, naro chö druk is a bow". whether one adopt six yogas as their lifetime practice and actually become a yogi - that's up to him, yes, but if we speak this way then drukpa and drikung are the ones of those few which still maintain 6 yogas practice in their main training, so basically any monk can become a yogi if he wishes to do so. other lineages may not have 6 yogas training in the first place, so if one wants to learn it one must go elsewhere and find a master who can teach them. and, at least in drukpa, not every person who studied/practice yogas authorized to teach them.
yogi/naljor doesnt exclusively apply to the six yogas of Naropa.
Even if it were so limited in scope it would still be dependent upon the individual.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
yagmort

Post by yagmort »

Marc wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:21 am
Oh !!! Really ???
Quite a news !

sorry, i m not sure if that means he is based outside tibet now. i just read that his disciple (Chogyal Rinpoche?) invited him to visit some western countries and give some teachings. don't quote me on that though.
stay open, spread love
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

yagmort wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:00 am
Oh !!! Really ???
Quite a news !

sorry, i m not sure if that means he is based outside tibet now. i just read that his disciple (Chogyal Rinpoche?) invited him to visit some western countries and give some teachings. don't quote me on that though.
Would be interested in any information on this
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Josef wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:48 am
yagmort wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:30 am
yogi/naljor doesnt exclusively apply to the six yogas of Naropa.
Even if it were so limited in scope it would still be dependent upon the individual.
Absolutely true.
"Yoga" can be translated as "Union." A Yogi, in the most profound sense, is one who is in union with the natural state, or who has wholeheartedly committed her or himself to that goal. I believe there are many people in the Himalayan cultural area who we don't know about, who are hidden, and who pursue this goal. There are also, I believe, some that may walk among us, hidden from our assumptions and expectations.

Dzogpachenpos who do not practice the Six Yogas paths can also be yogis, for sure....even if they do not practice what we normally consider "physical yogas" (though many do, Dzogchen lineages have many systems of Trulkhor, etc.).

So, if the OP is looking for long-haired renunciant hermits devoted to meditation, I think it's hard to say which lineage has the most. More importantly, the question strikes me as not even really relevant.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Jangchup Donden

Post by Jangchup Donden »

yagmort wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:37 pm
there is Tsultrim Tarchin Repa of Barom kagyu who is now out of tibet,
Oh !!! Really ???
Quite a news !

Bardor Tulku Rinpoche also holds the Barom Kagyu Lineage and teaches practices from it:

https://www.kunzang.org/treasure-lineag ... rom-kagyu/

https://www.kunzang.org/treasure-lineag ... -kagyu-ii/

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”