Days where karma is multiplied

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
mechashivaz

Days where karma is multiplied

Post by mechashivaz »

I often see things posted on FB from some Vajrayana groups that says that a given day is a hundred, a thousand, etc times more karmicaly effective and generally associated with an event from Sakyamuni's life or another great master. Can any one offer a reasoning for this, from their teachers or a text? I like the idea, it lights a fire under your ass if you take it to heart, but would like more info. Thanks!
Lobsang Chojor

Re: Days where karma is multiplied

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

According to Lama Zopa Rinpoche it comes from a Vinaya text called Treasure of Quotations and Logic, but I've never looked for a translation of this text so I can't provide more information than that.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
Tongnyid Dorje

Post by Tongnyid Dorje »

I would be interesting if that counts only for our planet, or also other planets. For example, if somewhere in univers, hundreds of light years away, on some planet there was a Buddha and he did also some specific days.... you know. Does it count then also for us? But we are not aware of Buddha in other solar system. But karma works anyway, if we are aware of it or not.

For me, karma is kind of natural low and is hard to say for me, that in some days it is somehow multiplied.

But may be Im just ignorant too much.

:namaste:
Jangchup Donden

Post by Jangchup Donden »

Well at least on this planet, if we look at the Buddha's life, important things happened on full moon days (like his enlightenment, etc.). If we look at the Pali canon, many arhats achieved enlightenment on full moon nights as well. So maybe there's something to it? I imagine channels are effected somewhat by time of day, position of the moon, etc.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”