Left Buddhism

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Rinchen Samphel

Left Buddhism

Post by Rinchen Samphel »

In september i was going threw a rough time, stopped practicing and dropped my refuge. I was going threw a massive internal struggle. I, of course because i have studied and practiced Buddhism for 11 years, am starting to feel drawn back to it and am wondering if what i was going threw was purification. Am i a samaya breaker now? Can i come back and start practicing again?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Left Buddhism

Post by Grigoris »

Rinchen Samphel wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:24 pm In september i was going threw a rough time, stopped practicing and dropped my refuge. I was going threw a massive internal struggle. I, of course because i have studied and practiced Buddhism for 11 years, am starting to feel drawn back to it and am wondering if what i was going threw was purification. Am i a samaya breaker now? Can i come back and start practicing again?
Can you go back to your old teacher? I mean: are they still around?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Rinchen Samphel

Grigoris wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:35 pm Can you go back to your old teacher? I mean: are they still around?
They sure are, its Garchen Rinpoche. And when i think about him i feel a sense of "its alright, get back on track, keep going." And a feeling of forgiveness. Love that man.
Rinchen Samphel

So do i just continue where i left off? Do i need to do some purification practice? Am i doomed to a lower rebirth?
Jangchup Donden

Post by Jangchup Donden »

Rinchen Samphel wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:39 pm So do i just continue where i left off? Do i need to do some purification practice? Am i doomed to a lower rebirth?
Continuing to not practice is much worse than coming back to it. If it was me, I'd come back and when opportunities for purification came about I'd take them (e.g., participating in a tsok). If you make a habit of standing back up after you fall down you'll progress a lot faster (and be generating a good habit because we all make mistakes), than if you stay laying on the ground.

Also talk to your teacher next time you can see him and ask what you should do to resolve this.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Go for it dude! Retake your vows, do your practice. Maybe try finding out why you have stopped afte 11 years, what lacked etc. And try to improve that. And definetly do Vajrasattva or participate in Tsok.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Josef

Post by Josef »

Rinchen Samphel wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:41 pm
Grigoris wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:35 pm Can you go back to your old teacher? I mean: are they still around?
They sure are, its Garchen Rinpoche. And when i think about him i feel a sense of "its alright, get back on track, keep going." And a feeling of forgiveness. Love that man.
Unless you completely abandoned bodhicitta (which clearly hasnt happened) you will be fine.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Josef

Post by Josef »

Rinchen Samphel wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:39 pm So do i just continue where i left off? Do i need to do some purification practice? Am i doomed to a lower rebirth?
Yes, continue where you left off, you are in no way doomed.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Josef wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:52 pm
Unless you completely abandoned bodhicitta (which clearly hasnt happened) you will be fine.
:bow: :good:
Namu Amida Butsu
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Josef wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:52 pm

And even if you did, there is a Gelugpa Geshe who, and I assume that he is drawing from a authentic source, said that you can repair even an completely broken Bodhisattva vow still (to a degree anyway); just that you no longer have the possibility to attain First Bhumi in this lifetime.

That’s probably only from a Sutrayana perspective though. In Yanas beyond Sutrayana, it likely doesn’t matter as long as you purify the downfall. The Geluk tradition is fine (although I’ve read that the only Gelugpas not connected to Pabongkha are found in Amdo (and maybe some others in Mongolia & Russia?), if I’m not mistaken) if you find a teacher who will go to the essence of the Gelug tradition. Otherwise, most Gelukpas seem to like to focus an bit much on Sutrayana intellectualism. To each their own though. Perhaps this approach is well suited to the majority of Gelugpas who have that karmic connection.

Anyhow, even if you had abandoned Bodhicitta (and in IMO you’d actually have to consciously think or say with an deliberate intent that you wish a sentient being or beings to not attain Buddhahood, in order to actually abandon it), if you’re willing to retake the vow/repair it, it most likely means that you’re not an icchantika (or “organic portal” as they are sometimes referred to as nowadays) and therefore still have a chance to get back on the Path.
Last edited by Sādhaka on Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Jump in man, the water is great!
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

I also practice Vajrayana, but I had the great fortune once to meet the late Korean Zen teacher Daehaeng Kun Sunim,
and asked her about this same kind of thing. Actually, it is not uncommon.
She said, Dharma is like boiling water to make soup.
When we are dedicated to practice, that's like the boiling water churning around.
When we don't practice, that's like the bubbles in the water. It's not the water, it's where the water isn't, but
Both of them are part of the boiling.
You throw it all into your dharma soup.
Once you take refuge, unless you absolutely renounce it, everything is still practice. It's all path.
Also, vajrayana is indestructible. If you have a formal (serious) samaya with a teacher, you can work it out.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Emphasise Vajrasattva if you have it and email your point of contact at Garchen and let them advise you.
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

Are there magical forces at work when you recite the Vajrasattva mantra ?????????????????????

Can one decide for themselves... if they want reciting this mantra to be their practice ???????????????

Or can you just start doing it (with all your heart & soul) ??????????

Some awesome things seem to be happening & i don't know if it's related.... or just my crazy self imagining...............

:bow: :bow: :bow:
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Of course there are magical forces when you recite Vajrasattva (or any other authentic mantra)! Mantrayana is magic, pure and simple.

That's why many Teachers say, "Just do it." The practice itself will make it happen. This is also why some Teachers and yogis say mantra to animals, or some Lamas try to get complete strangers to simply say a mantra once, like OM MANI PEME HUNG. This is why we even simply write, carve, or post mantras where others will see them (Liberation by seeing). The yogurt's in the milk and eventually the results will manifest.

Of course, the more knowledge, understanding, mindfulness, devotion, and Bodhisatvic motivation you bring to the recitation, the quicker will be the results. But be very sure, the effects of saying a single mantra are never, ever lost and will eventually come to fruition.

E-ma-ho!
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”