Methods for keeping Samaya clean

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Jangchup Donden

Methods for keeping Samaya clean

Post by Jangchup Donden »

I was looking to get a general list of methods used for keeping Samaya clean. I know there's the usual ones such as the Vajrasattva mantra and participating in tsok practices, but I was wondering if there were any others. Does a daily practice session count? Or guru yoga? All of the above?
Malcolm

Re: Methods for keeping Samaya clean

Post by Malcolm »

Jangchup Donden wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:29 pm I was looking to get a general list of methods used for keeping Samaya clean. I know there's the usual ones such as the Vajrasattva mantra and participating in tsok practices, but I was wondering if there were any others. Does a daily practice session count? Or guru yoga? All of the above?
Reciting Vajrasattva long mantra 21 times a day prevents degeneration.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Is any transmission or empowerment necessary to recite the long Vajrasattva mantra?
Namu Amida Butsu
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Monlam Tharchin wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:33 pm Is any transmission or empowerment necessary to recite the long Vajrasattva mantra?
Yes.
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:09 pmReciting Vajrasattva long mantra 21 times a day prevents degeneration.
Does reciting Vajrasattva short mantra 108 times a day prevent degeneration as well?
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Monlam Tharchin wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:33 pm Is any transmission or empowerment necessary to recite the long Vajrasattva mantra?
Generally, everyone who has received an anuttarayoga empowerment has the transmission.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Lobsang Chojor wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:46 pm
Malcolm wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:09 pmReciting Vajrasattva long mantra 21 times a day prevents degeneration.
Does reciting Vajrasattva short mantra 108 times a day prevent degeneration as well?
Better to do the long one.
Kris

Post by Kris »

Jangchup Donden wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:29 pm I was looking to get a general list of methods used for keeping Samaya clean. I know there's the usual ones such as the Vajrasattva mantra and participating in tsok practices, but I was wondering if there were any others. Does a daily practice session count? Or guru yoga? All of the above?
Confessions are useful.
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

BTW best method to repair samaya is completion stage.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:51 pm
Lobsang Chojor wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:46 pm
Better to do the long one.
Is this generally true when there are shorter and longer versions of a mantra or dharani? :thanks:
Namu Amida Butsu
Jangchup Donden

Post by Jangchup Donden »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:13 am BTW best method to repair samaya is completion stage.
Are you talking about the dissolution stage during deity yoga or the physical practices like the six yogas of Naropa?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Jangchup Donden wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:03 pm
Malcolm wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:13 am BTW best method to repair samaya is completion stage.
Are you talking about the dissolution stage during deity yoga or the physical practices like the six yogas of Naropa?
The former.
_R_

Post by _R_ »

If you have received Mahamudra transmission that is the most profound way, as it is the practice that will accomplish all the other practices at once.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”