Palyul lamas support Still corrupt Rigpa organization and Sogyal

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Muddywaters

Palyul lamas support Still corrupt Rigpa organization and Sogyal

Post by Muddywaters »

Palyul lamas are supporting disgraced Sogyal & his STILL corrupt organization Rigpa.

Palyul Khenchen Namdrol taught at Lerab Ling stating that the 8 letter writers denouncing Sogyal's sexual and physical abuse were possessed by demons.

Khenchen Tsewang Gyatso has also started teaching at Rigpa since this scandal and before any real reform within the organization.

No Palyul lamas have made any public statement denouncing Sogyals actions, or Khenchen Namdrol's corruption.

This is a video from within Rigpa of Palyul Khenchen Namdrol's "teaching" at Lerab Ling shaming sexual abuse survivors.
It is shocking to hear.

Please help send this video to any Palyul students.

If Palyul lamas won't denounce sexual abuse, perhaps at least the students and centers won't stand by this?

Here are links to published articles on the situation

https://www.buddhistdoor.net/news/khenc ... al-ripoche

https://whatnow727.wordpress.com/2017/0 ... to-change/

http://matthewremski.com/wordpress/seni ... d-sources/

https://www.rigpa.org/upcoming-events/2 ... o-rinpoche
treehuggingoctopus

Re: Palyul lamas support Still corrupt Rigpa organization and Sogyal

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Sad beyond words.
Is it Sangye Khandro???
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Muddywaters wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:16 am
If Palyul lamas won't denounce sexual abuse, perhaps at least the students and centers won't stand by this?
What do you mean by this? You want them to criticise the teachers or push on them to make a statement? Drikung teachers also didn't make a statement should I push on 'em? I find this quite silly to be honest.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
treehuggingoctopus

Miroku wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:29 am
Muddywaters wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:16 am
What do you mean by this? You want them to criticise the teachers or push on them to make a statement? Drikung teachers also didn't make a statement should I push on 'em? I find this quite silly to be honest.
Well, it is the voice which is the problem and not the silence. Watch the video.

Edmond Jabès
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I cannot say that I disagree with everything he says. I believe that he makes some valid points as well.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:14 am Sad beyond words.
Is it Sangye Khandro???
I have no idea what Sangye Khandro thinks about these issues, but we should be clear that a translator or interpreter (Dharma translator or any other translator) is duty-bound to reproduce the meaning and tone of the original as closely as may be possible under the circumstances, and is duty-bound, as far as possible, to remove their own personal attitudes from the equation. It may be appropriate for a translator or interpreter to decline a request to interpret if it is clear in advance that the things that will be said are things that the interpreter finds objectionable. But, having agreed to do a job and indeed started doing it, I think it would be wrong for an interpreter to stand up in the middle of proceedings and decline to continue. At the very least, this would be an extremely radical and provocative act. An interpreter's attitude is, or should be, as a matter of principle, one of holding back from any personal judgements, be they positive or negative.

The fact that she acted as interpreter here is no reason to make any judgement.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Ramblings: lunidharma.blogspot.com
treehuggingoctopus

Lingpupa wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:18 am
treehuggingoctopus wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:14 am Sad beyond words.
Is it Sangye Khandro???
I have no idea what Sangye Khandro thinks about these issues, but we should be clear that a translator or interpreter (Dharma translator or any other translator) is duty-bound to reproduce the meaning and tone of the original as closely as may be possible under the circumstances, and is duty-bound, as far as possible, to remove their own personal attitudes from the equation. It may be appropriate for a translator or interpreter to decline a request to interpret if it is clear in advance that the things that will be said are things that the interpreter finds objectionable. But, having agreed to do a job and indeed started doing it, I think it would be wrong for an interpreter to stand up in the middle of proceedings and decline to continue. At the very least, this would be an extremely radical and provocative act. An interpreter's attitude is, or should be, as a matter of principle, one of holding back from any personal judgements, be they positive or negative.

The fact that she acted as interpreter here is no reason to make any judgement.
I am not critising her. She looks mortified.

Edmond Jabès
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Isn't this video over a year old? Or am I having a sudden attack of deja vu?
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Grigoris wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:08 am I cannot say that I disagree with everything he says. I believe that he makes some valid points as well.
Much of what was said is the same as is used in a certain cult which shall not be named. We must not criticise the Guru or senior monks or we will damage people's faith in the Dharma etc etc.
Oddly, I find it is easy to disagree with profoundly Dharmic expressions when they are being used to justify such actions. Context matters in the utterance of holy platitudes in what they now term 'victim shaming'.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Natan

Post by Natan »

You don’t know KN and don’t get what he’s saying. The author of this article sounds like a reporter writing about something completely foreign, and sounds like someone who’s never been around vajrayana.

But hey, gives you more reason to invent an all-white lineage, which what all these internet raconteurs hope and dream about, leading an internet army of devoted iPhone holders, after having worked out the loopholes that explain away why NO LAMA supports any of this BS.

Chatral Rinpoche basically told Dudjom Yangsi not to worry too much about the West. This is why. You guru shamers are the enemies of the doctrine.

I’m telling you you are. That has consequences. Demons will tear your mind apart. You’ve been warned.

Look what he said: we must apply the teachings. If you disagree with that your religion is law and your lamas are the police. What a bunch ninnies.
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
Natan

Post by Natan »

Muddywaters wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:16 am Palyul lamas are supporting disgraced Sogyal & his STILL corrupt organization Rigpa.

Palyul Khenchen Namdrol taught at Lerab Ling stating that the 8 letter writers denouncing Sogyal's sexual and physical abuse were possessed by demons.

Khenchen Tsewang Gyatso has also started teaching at Rigpa since this scandal and before any real reform within the organization.

No Palyul lamas have made any public statement denouncing Sogyals actions, or Khenchen Namdrol's corruption.

This is a video from within Rigpa of Palyul Khenchen Namdrol's "teaching" at Lerab Ling shaming sexual abuse survivors.
It is shocking to hear.

Please help send this video to any Palyul students.

Here are links to published articles on the situation

https://www.buddhistdoor.net/news/khenc ... al-ripoche

https://whatnow727.wordpress.com/2017/0 ... to-change/

http://matthewremski.com/wordpress/seni ... d-sources/

https://www.rigpa.org/upcoming-events/2 ... o-rinpoche
These articles are stupid. Completely ignorant of dharma.

People on this site are completely bashing and not only, also misrepresenting KN, his transmissions, the lineage and the Buddha Samantabhadra.

You are the cutoff lineage. You’re worse than nihilists. Even some of them accept karma a little bit.

Well, since you don’t believe in demons or lineages you won’t mind going into my wrathful Activities. Please PM me your full name and I’ll send you a location to send me something with your scent on it. I’ll fix those delusions of yours right up.
treehuggingoctopus

Crazywisdom wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:32 pmBut hey, gives you more reason to invent an all-white lineage, which what all these internet raconteurs hope and dream about, leading an internet army of devoted iPhone holders, after having worked out the loopholes that explain away why NO LAMA supports any of this BS.
I have yet to see one single Buddhist who would want an all-white lineage. In Europe being white is frankly the worst thing that could befall a teacher: being white is seen as the final and unequivocal proof that one is not a teacher who could teach one anything useful, or really transmit any practice.
Last edited by treehuggingoctopus on Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edmond Jabès
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Mantrik wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:09 pmMuch of what was said is the same as is used in a certain cult which shall not be named. We must not criticise the Guru or senior monks or we will damage people's faith in the Dharma etc etc.
Oddly, I find it is easy to disagree with profoundly Dharmic expressions when they are being used to justify such actions. Context matters in the utterance of holy platitudes in what they now term 'victim shaming'.
I understand what you are saying and some of what he is saying would ring alarm bells, I am sure.

It is also true that that a lot of the talk is damaging the reputation of the Sangha and Dharma teachings in general. I am sure you know a number of people that have been turned off from Buddhism because of these issues. That does not mean the issues should not be dealt with, nor that they are excusable, but I think we need to look at how we are dealing with them.

Personally I have abandoned noisy protest as a tool. Generally speaking: I believe it achieves very little.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Natan

Post by Natan »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:59 pm
Crazywisdom wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:32 pmBut hey, gives you more reason to invent an all-white lineage, which what all these internet raconteurs hope and dream about, leading an internet army of devoted iPhone holders, after having worked out the loopholes that explain away why NO LAMA supports any of this BS.
I have yet to see one single Buddhist who would want an all-white lineage. In Europe being white is frankly the worst thing that could befall a teacher: being white is seen as the final and unequivocal proof that one is not a teacher who could teach one anything useful, or really transmit any practice.
Well it’s about to lama free. But hey there’s always the internet guru and his attendant, Amazon.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

There really isn’t much to discuss in these matters. There are some who say, this person has done things that show him to be unqualified as a guru. Others say, I have samaya with the person so he will always be my guru. There really is little ground for dialog between the two. One follows the person in whom one has confidence.

My hope for 2019: more Dharma, less drama.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:59 pm I have yet to see one single Buddhist who would want an all-white lineage. In Europe being white is frankly the worst thing that could befall a teacher: being white is seen as the final and unequivocal proof that one is not a teacher who could teach one anything useful, or really transmit any practice.
Heh, unfortunately you are right. It does disqualify quite a bit in Europe. And I can see it clearly in my own attitude how I look with more distrust on white teachers. But it might be partly because of US zen centers where everybody is roshi, however for some reason the teachings seem more and more disconnected from buddhadharma. However, that is for different discussion.

Now to our little discussion.
Yes, the video is sad in some places. I'd expect more neutral answer and not calling them demons. However, the video is old and has already been discussed a year and a half ago. What bothers me more is the way in which the OP wrote their post. It reminds me of the attempt to make teachers adress sexual misconduct that happened few months ago, where there was a list of teachers and was about making them release a statement. I think that is stupid and totally not needed. These matters should be between a student and teacher and possibly policy if law had been broken. I'd suggest and interview with the teacher from the video on the matter and discuss it if his views are the same and what are his intentions and thoughts behind his statements. Why he thinks so, etc. We have to talk to our teachers not make lists or push them into making statements.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

PeterC wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:12 pm There really isn’t much to discuss in these matters. There are some who say, this person has done things that show him to be unqualified as a guru. Others say, I have samaya with the person so he will always be my guru. There really is little ground for dialog between the two. One follows the person in whom one has confidence.

My hope for 2019: more Dharma, less drama.
Preach! :good:

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Given the age of this video, that this issue has been discussed to death and that the original poster basically "farted and left the room" I am locking this thread until the OP comes back in order to discuss the issue properly (if they ever do).

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”