Ways to Identify Naga Incense

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
krodha

Ways to Identify Naga Incense

Post by krodha »

Interested in tips on identifying what is and is not incense appropriate for nāgā offering.

I went to my local ling to buy some but they did not have any. Decided I would try a local Tibetan shop and they had a wide variety however even with ingredients listed the contents were still ambiguous due to the lists often ending with “etc.” or “and other fine substances.”

Any brands or types that are generally acceptable?

I am mainly using it for offering of remnants in the context of ganapuja.
jet.urgyen

Re: Ways to Identify Naga Incense

Post by jet.urgyen »

krodha wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:04 am Interested in tips on identifying what is and is not incense appropriate for nāgā offering.

I went to my local ling to buy some but they did not have any. Decided I would try a local Tibetan shop and they had a wide variety however even with ingredients listed the contents were still ambiguous due to the lists often ending with “etc.” or “and other fine substances.”

Any brands or types that are generally acceptable?

I am mainly using it for offering of remnants in the context of ganapuja.

imo, the brand or type generally acceptable are those without musk, or animal subproducts in general, and so perhaps is better oneself makes them or command it's fabrication to someone who knows how to do them. I don't trust much commercial incenses, but i use them only when don't have choice.

for offering of remnants in the context of ganapuja the best is to use the remnants of the incenses used for offering to the three roots whatever this are made of.

pd: perhaps a doctor knows better.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Make your own. That way you will be sure to exclude substances that may cause the Naga to anger.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

there are several sellers such as Stamford on Amazon which claim to have no animal products.
Aside from the obvious, such as musk, some may use animal products to bind the powder, as glue for sticks etc.
If you want to be absolutely sure, use plant resin or other raw plant such as juniper. I'd rather gather some leylandii or eucalyptus than use a commercial product.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

Grigoris wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:29 am Make your own. That way you will be sure to exclude substances that may cause the Naga to anger.

:good:
Lost In Transmission
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Potalagate sells a specific Naga incense in stick form. Little pricey, but convenient.

A woman at our center, makes her own Naga sang in pwdered form. So we're sure of the ingredients. But it's a little heavy on the spices and light on the woods and herbs. Fine for outdoors, but too strong for indoor use. So whenever I'm in Asia, I always buy powdered Naga sang/incense. I often add this to what my friend makes for greater variety of ingredients and to "tone it down" a bit. One knows it is specifically Naga incense 'cause it says so on the package (in Tibetan). Just brought back several packages from Bhutan. (In Nepal. Bhutan, etc., one typically sees three general types of powdered incense for sale: Riwo Sangchod, drib sang for dispelling hindrances, and Naga sang.) I also bought some special single-ingredient rhododendron sang from a nomad woman at a "farmer's market" in Punakha. I wanted to bring it back to add to our Naga sang mix, but then we burnt it at the top of the pass going into Phobjika valley (where Gangtey monastery is).

If I could afford a commercial grade herb grinder ($800 or so), I'd make Naga incense to sell. I enjoy collecting the ingredients, combining them, etc. However, that'll burn out a countertop coffee grinder pretty fast. I also like the idea of including local woods and herbs to propitiate the local Nagas, Nyen, and Sadags.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Hansei

Post by Hansei »

Does anyone know a good resource about making your own incense?
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Naga incense or any incense? Powdered or stick?

For the ingredients of Naga incense, see Dudjom Lingpa's introduction to His Naga puja. Also see the offering ingredients section of Naga Amendment of Breaches. These ought to give you a good idea of what kinds of ingredients are typically included.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Hansei

Post by Hansei »

I meant for making any kind of incense. Just by coincidence I've been thinking about that lately, then stumbled into this thread. :smile:
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Hansei wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:43 pm I meant for making any kind of incense. Just by coincidence I've been thinking about that lately, then stumbled into this thread. :smile:
try this https://www.amazon.com/Incense-Crafting ... B00O80NHJY

is the best book i have found. for making sticks just use a pastry bag, those used for decorating cakes with cream.

cheers!
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Karma_Yeshe

Post by Karma_Yeshe »

I'd recommend to use guggul (Commiphora wightii) on charcoal, like one does when doing sang, instead of using incense.
Hansei

Post by Hansei »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:05 am
Hansei wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:43 pm I meant for making any kind of incense. Just by coincidence I've been thinking about that lately, then stumbled into this thread. :smile:
try this https://www.amazon.com/Incense-Crafting ... B00O80NHJY

is the best book i have found. for making sticks just use a pastry bag, those used for decorating cakes with cream.

cheers!
Looks great. Thanks!

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”