Difference?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Tirisilex

Difference?

Post by Tirisilex »

What are the differences between the 4 schools of Tibetan Buddhism? That being Gelugpa, Kagyu, Nyingmapa, Sakya? From what I can gather is Gelugpa like to study, Kagyu like to practice most, Sakya Study get familiar with practices then practice and I don't know anything about Nyingmapa except they like to practice Dzogchen.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Re: Difference?

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

A lot of what you’re asking about are the histories of how and when the teachings came from India to Tibet. The different lineages have different stories. The also have different approaches and emphasis. You’re asking for a lot of information.

If you rely on the internet you’re going to get spotty and unreliable information. So I’d like to suggest you read “indestructible Truth” by Dr. Reginald Ray. Although it’s the “intro to TB 101” textbook for Naropa University, it written in a pleasant and readable style. It has a chapter dedicated to each of the 4 lineages.It is the book I wish I had when I was starting out.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”