Retreats in tb

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Varis

Re: Retreats in tb

Post by Varis » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:48 am

yagmort wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:18 am
because "doubt remains..."
Yes, doubt remains about both scenarios. As he points out, the second interpretation fits with the teachings of Saraha.

The fact of the matter is that if it were insufficient for us to practice in our daily lives then there would be no point in practicing. In which case we should be like common Mahayanika laypeople in East Asia, gathering merit and hoping to be reborn in a better life. Sorry but I can't agree with this, it's antithetical to Vajrayana IMO.

yagmort

Post by yagmort » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:33 am

Varis wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:48 am
...Sorry but I can't agree with this, it's antithetical to Vajrayana IMO...
no problem bro, as i said previously, we should agree on our disagreement.)
i don't agree that even if it is insufficient for us to practice in our daily lives then there would be no point in practicing. as i said imho it's not daily practice which doesn't suffice, it's amount of practice. if you can practice a decent amount of time per day and not fall victim to black diffusion and 8 wordly concerns then it's ok. if you can not for now, then there is still the point because practice is practice: it is not wasted and if you don't give up you still progress slowly, so one day you may breakthrough and realise necessity to change your life so you can practice more.

n8pee

Post by n8pee » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:07 am

i don't agree that even if it is insufficient for us to practice in our daily lives then there would be no point in practicing. as i said imho it's not daily practice which doesn't suffice, it's amount of practice.
Bro... you're wasting time continuing this thread instead of practicing. I think we can both agree that would be a better use of your time.

smcj

Post by smcj » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:58 pm

There’s no telling what someone’s karma is from previous lives. Somebody may have had their previous life end with a store of unripened focused practice and need very little to push them past the goal line. Maybe just DI would do it.

Somebody else may have been reborn on the downside of the field with lots of negative karma in to work off. They would need to do lots of practice just to keep their situation from getting worse.

Appearances do not tell the tale.
1. No traditional Buddhist sect, Tibetan or otherwise, considers deities to be fictional. (DW post/Seeker242)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against Lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
4. Shentong] is the completely pure system that, through mainly teaching the luminous aspect of the mind, holds that the fruitions--kayas and wisdoms--exist on their own accord. (Karmapa XIII)

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”