Tibetan Yogis & Their Multiple Yoginis Wives

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
2ndchance

Tibetan Yogis & Their Multiple Yoginis Wives

Post by 2ndchance » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:03 pm

Greetings All.

May I ask for any one in here to share information with me regarding Tibetan Yogis who have multiple Yoginis Wives in the past?

I read somewhere on Dharma Wheel that some Tibetan Yogis have multiple Yoginins Wives in the past but I can't find the threads again.

I need to study the thinking of such Tibetan Yogis who have multiple Yogini Wives.

If there are any books or sutras which teaching about such Tibetan Yogis, please share them with me.

Thank you.

Tata1

Re: Tibetan Yogis & Their Multiple Yoginis Wives

Post by Tata1 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:03 pm

Dont want to be that guy bt why would you NEED to study this?

Miroku
Global Moderator

Post by Miroku » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:10 pm

You wont find it in any sutras. It might be in tantras but those are best to be read after empowerment and not just so you can find about sexual life of Tibetans. Answer you are looking for might be found in some anthropologic work on the topic of marriage in the Himalayan region or sth like that.
A boat delivers you to the other riverbank.
A needle stitches up your clothes.
A horse takes you where you want to go.
Bodhicitta will bring you to Buddhahood.
~ Khunu Lama Rinpoche

Even non-buddhists have many virtuous accomplishments
~ Jigten Sumgon

DechenDave

Post by DechenDave » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:24 pm

2ndchance wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:03 pm
Greetings All.

May I ask for any one in here to share information with me regarding Tibetan Yogis who have multiple Yoginis Wives in the past?

I read somewhere on Dharma Wheel that some Tibetan Yogis have multiple Yoginins Wives in the past but I can't find the threads again.

I need to study the thinking of such Tibetan Yogis who have multiple Yogini Wives.

If there are any books or sutras which teaching about such Tibetan Yogis, please share them with me.

Thank you.
Do you mean like a harem of close, long-term consorts, or multiple over their lifetime? I’ve never personally seen “Sister-wives Vajrayana Edition” but maybe it happens.
I dont personally care as long as its consensual and people dont start #metoo-ing lamas because they feel jilted or regret.

fckw

Post by fckw » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:39 pm

Padmasambhava had 5 consorts. Plus, once he mated with all women in a village after having killed all men.

mechashivaz

Post by mechashivaz » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:52 am

It's likely a cultural thing. In old Tibet and India polygamy and polyandry were common practice. Not sure how common it is currently.

yagmort

Post by yagmort » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:18 am

Togden Shakya Shri have had several consorts as mentioned in his biography by Kathog Situ Rinpoche. He also had numerous children. In this regard there are mentions of other masters who have taken consorts at some point in their practice, like Jamyang Khyentse Wangpo, Khamtrul Rinpoche, etc. In Adzom Drugpa short biography over at treasury-of-lives it is said that a Sera Khandro Wangmo agreed to be his partner for a sexual practice when her own partner assured her it would be of benefit. I am sure there are much more. Not every consort became a proper wife though, but that happens.

AmidaB

Post by AmidaB » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:00 pm

Apart from the feats and appetite of some male tantrika, I'd really like to know where are the stories about women practicioners purposefully collecting their male consort-harem. :D
I don't know exactly the deeper or real meaning of these actions (because without the oral transmission and explanation reading these texts is useless at best ), but have read that it is connected with the different energy qualities of a specific consort.

Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:31 pm

AmidaB wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:00 pm
Apart from the feats and appetite of some male tantrika, I'd really like to know where are the stories about women practicioners purposefully collecting their male consort-harem. :D
Sera Khandro, mentioned above, might interest you then, especially as her life is a little closer to our time than, say, Macig Labdron, who would be another case in point. Take a look and see what you think.
All the best
Alex Wilding
Stupa in the Snow blog at http://chagchen.org/

yagmort

Post by yagmort » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:39 pm

Yeshe Tsogyal has had some other consorts as well, notably Atsara Sale

Seeker12

Post by Seeker12 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:31 pm

2ndchance wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:03 pm
Greetings All.

Thank you.
Marpa had more than one consort. I'm quite certain that Dudjom Lingpa did as well, as discussed in his autobiography. And of course Drukpa Kunley, though he may have been Bhutanese, if that matters.
Therein is nothing to remove
And thereto not the slightest thing to add.
The perfect truth viewed perfectly
And perfectly beheld is liberation.

Uttaratantra Shastra

Cinnabar

Post by Cinnabar » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:22 pm

There's a difference between wives/husbands and consorts.

If we're talking multiple wives/husbands, then we're talking about such activities related to families and household as individual security, inheritance, passing on family lines, sharing resources, childcare, eldercare, social norms and expectations.

If we're talking about multiple consorts, then we're talking about engaging in advanced practices with multiple individuals-- which is separate from the above concerns.

The two aren't mutually exclusive. So one's husband/wife may be a consort. And one may have a consort that isn't a domestic partner.

Seems important to be clear as family life itself is a path of practice separate from consort practice e.g. karmamudra.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”