Simplest Most Effective Most Efficient Deity Yoga to Purify Negative Karma

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
2ndchance

Simplest Most Effective Most Efficient Deity Yoga to Purify Negative Karma

Post by 2ndchance »

Hello All,

May I know what is the Simplest Most Effective Most Efficient Deity Yoga to Purify Negative Karma?

There seem to be a lot of visualizations involved in Deity Yoga and I am not sure if my concentration is good enough to concentrate on too many visualizations.

I have been instructed to do Deity Yoga on particular buddhas or bodhisattvas or yidams of my choice.

I was asked to do Vajrasattva but I was also given a choice to do Usnisa Vijaya Buddha Namgyalma.

Both are excellent choices for purifying negative karmas.

Please advise me.

Thank you.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Re: Simplest Most Effective Most Efficient Deity Yoga to Purify Negative Karma

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Vajrasattva is specifically purposed to purity negative karma.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Practice both. See which of the two feels more "familiar" or "fitting" and go with it.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

The one you make into a daily habit.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

:good:
Namu Amida Butsu
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

One of the main functions of Usnisa Vijaya is to purify Evil Paths that appear in the Mind, pertaining to Sub-Human Realms
Kris

Post by Kris »

I'm not qualified to give advice, nonetheless :D
I'd suggest Guruyoga.
For me, devotional; heartfelt prayers are more effective than visualizations and chanting mantras.
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Donny

Post by Donny »

Medicine Buddha also comes to mind since it is said to be a very good purification practice.

:anjali:
Eusebius

Post by Eusebius »

Two of my favorite deity yogas for purification are the short sadhanas of Vajrayogini and Kunrig (MahaVairocana). But pls. note: the complexity of the visuals is not only a function of the Yidam, it's also a function of lineage, the Vajra master, actual sadhana text, tantra level.
KiwiNFLFan

Post by KiwiNFLFan »

Read, recite and copy the Ārya Saṅghāṭa Sūtra. Lama Zopa Rinpoche says:
The very minute you hear it, the five uninterrupted negative karmas - the extremely heavy negative karmas that right after death, immediately without interruption of another life, you get born into hell; you get reborn in the lowest hot hell, which has the heaviest suffering of the lower realms, of which the life span lasts for one intermediate eon – those get completely purified.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Lama Zope wrote an advice to one of his students and gave him a similar choice, saying that it depends on which deity the student feels closer to. So pick which deity you feel more drawn to. Maybe try practicing both for some time. However, it is best to commit to one as it can give more power to the practice.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Here's a thread with a little more info on Ushnisha.

As for picking one, I don't think it's possible to make a mistake. So which buddha looks prettier or more interesting to you? :smile:

Also, just on the topic of purification, Buddha-Crown Superb Victory Dhāraṇī Sutra contains a dharani and lists many benefits in addition to these:
“God-Kings, once sentient beings born through the four modes of birth have heard this dhāraṇī, they will not have more troubles or repeat their old troubles in their present lives. Instead of assuming the form of an embryo again, they will be reborn with miraculously formed bodies in lotus flowers, and all shackles of their afflictions will be broken forever. Their five eyes becoming pure, they will have past-life knowledge and will eventually attain anuttara-samyak-saṁbodhi.”
The Buddha said to the god-kings, “If a person recites this dhāraṇī mantra twenty-one times to a handful of yellow soil and scatters the soil on the remains of someone who is just deceased or has been deceased for a long time, the deceased will be reborn in any of the Pure Lands in the ten directions. If the consciousness of the deceased has already begun his life-journey in hell, as an animal, as a hungry ghost, or in Yama’s dominion, when the mantra soil touches the bones, he will be liberated and reborn in heaven, abandoning the evil life-journey.”
“If a person expecting a short life desires longevity, on the fifteenth day of a waxing moon, he should bathe, wear clean clothes, observe the precepts single-mindedly, and recite this dhāraṇī mantra 1,080 times. This person expecting a short life will thus gain longevity, and all his karma hindrances will be annihilated.
“Furthermore, if a person recites this dhāraṇī mantra only once into the ears of an animal, this animal, having heard this mantra once, will not assume animal form again after this life. Even if the animal is supposed to enter hell, it will be exempted.
“If a person who is suffering immensely from an evil disease hears only the sound of this dhāraṇī mantra, his hindrances caused by sin will be annihilated, and he will be able to leave his suffering behind. Even sentient beings born through the four modes of birth, having heard this mantra, will be freed from illness, suffering, and their modes of birth. Through miraculously formation, they will be reborn in lotus flowers, and they will know their past lives and not forget their birthplaces.
Here's the dharani:
The Buddha-Crown Superb Victory Dhāraṇī
(Uṣṇīṣa Vijaya Dhāraṇī)

namo bhagavate trai-lokya prativiśiṣṭāya buddhāya bhagavate | tad-yathā oṁ viśodhaya viśodhaya | asamasama samantāvabhāsa spharaṇa gati gahana svabhāva viśuddhe | abhiṣiñcatu māṁ | sugata vara vacana | amṛtābhiṣeke mahāmantra pāne | āhara āhara āyuḥ sandhāraṇi | śodhaya śodhaya gagana viśuddhe | uṣṇīṣa vijaya viśuddhe | sahasra-raśmi saṁcodite | sarva tathāgatāvalokana ṣaṭ-pāramitā paripūraṇi | sarva tathāgata hṛdayādhiṣṭhānādhiṣṭhita mahāmudre | vajra-kāya saṁharaṇa viśuddhe | sarvāvaraṇāpāya-durgati pari-viśuddhe | prati-nivartayāyuḥ śuddhe | samayādhiṣṭhite maṇi maṇi mahāmaṇi | tathātā bhūta koṭi pariśuddhe | visphuṭa buddhi śuddhe | jaya jaya vijaya vijaya smara smara | sarva buddhādhiṣṭhita śuddhe | vajre vajra-garbhe vajraṁ bhavatu mama śarīraṁ | sarva sattvānāṁ ca kāya pari-viśuddhe | sarva gati pariśuddhe | sarva tathāgatāśca me samāśvāsayantu | sarva tathāgata samāśvāsādhiṣṭhite | budhya budhya vibudhya vibudhya | bodhaya bodhaya vibodhaya vibodhaya | samanta pariśuddhe | sarva tathāgata hṛdayādhiṣṭhānādhiṣṭhita mahāmudre svāhā ||
I'm not sure if it's connected to Namgyalma, but the Sanskrit name is the same if I'm not mistaken :smile:
Namu Amida Butsu
_R_

Post by _R_ »

Mahamudra is the most effective, as it accomplishes all the paths at once. Mahamudra is not a deity practice tho.
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

I like doing "Stirring the Depths" or "The Inexpressible Absolute Confession" within the context of Vajrasattva practice, the latter essentially being as much a purification practice as an essentially guru yoga practice; and then I rest in the natural state at the end. And of course ganapuja is an essential purificatory practice as well.
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”