Heart Sutra Mantra cultivate Positive Emotions Bodhicitta

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
2ndchance

Heart Sutra Mantra cultivate Positive Emotions Bodhicitta

Post by 2ndchance » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:38 pm

A Lama just advised me to chant the heart sutra mantra to cultivate positive emotions of Bodhicitta in my heart.

May I know if the heart sutra is called the "heart" sutra because it is meant exactly to cultivate the heart?

I have been suffering from very negative emotions in my hearts for 10 years now which have cause me health problems like insomnia, lack of concentration, fatigue, and even energy attacks from negative beings targeting my heart.

Miroku
Former staff member

Re: Heart Sutra Mantra cultivate Positive Emotions Bodhicitta

Post by Miroku » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:55 pm

2ndchance wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:38 pm
A Lama just advised me to chant the heart sutra mantra to cultivate positive emotions of Bodhicitta in my heart.

May I know if the heart sutra is called the "heart" sutra because it is meant exactly to cultivate the heart?

I have been suffering from very negative emotions in my hearts for 10 years now which have cause me health problems like insomnia, lack of concentration, fatigue, and even energy attacks from negative beings targeting my heart.
No, I'd say it is called 'Heart' sutra because it is very essential and actually contains the highest teachings. That being said it will definetly help you for sure if your teacher recommended it for you. Maybe a little study of the sutra and recitation of it could be also good idea, but I am not your teacher.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:46 pm

In this case, the Sanskrit word "hridaya" in the title means "essence." There are several longer and much longer versions of the Prajna Paramita, this being the most essential one. Therefore, the heart or essence of the Prajna Paramita.

I recommend that you try to get lung/oral transmission for this sutra and its appended dog-pa/reversal. If you both read the sutra and then do the dog-pa three times, it will definitely help any negative energies. The dog-pa is quite short.

My advice would be to mark out 100 days on your calendar and then make a firm decision (vow?) to read this sutra every day without missing a day for those 100 days. If you do happen to miss a day, no problem, but then the next day you read the sutra becomes day 1 again. After you complete this 100-day practice, you can re-evaluate and see if you can notice any positive changes in your situation. However, besides simply reading the sutra, as the dog-pa says, you should also try to contemplate its meaning.

IME, this is a very powerful practice which I myself do every day/365 and have been for a number of years.

Good luck and best wishes.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

Lhasa

Post by Lhasa » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:02 pm

Do you have a link to the version with the dog-pa?
pemachophel wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:46 pm
In this case, the Sanskrit word "hridaya" in the title means "essence." There are several longer and much longer versions of the Prajna Paramita, this being the most essential one. Therefore, the heart or essence of the Prajna Paramita.

I recommend that you try to get lung/oral transmission for this sutra and its appended dog-pa/reversal. If you both read the sutra and then do the dog-pa three times, it will definitely help any negative energies. The dog-pa is quite short.

My advice would be to mark out 100 days on your calendar and then make a firm decision (vow?) to read this sutra every day without missing a day for those 100 days. If you do happen to miss a day, no problem, but then the next day you read the sutra becomes day 1 again. After you complete this 100-day practice, you can re-evaluate and see if you can notice any positive changes in your situation. However, besides simply reading the sutra, as the dog-pa says, you should also try to contemplate its meaning.

IME, this is a very powerful practice which I myself do every day/365 and have been for a number of years.

Miroku
Former staff member

Post by Miroku » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:22 pm

Here it is both tibetan and english. http://lamagursam.org/tbf-prayer-book.pdf
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Miroku
Former staff member

Post by Miroku » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:29 pm

pemachophel wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:46 pm

Just curious, did you get this instruction from a teacher, or how did it come to be the whole 100 day deal? Do you have some story to share about the benefit?

Lhasa

Post by Lhasa » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:31 pm

Miroku wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:22 pm
Here it is both tibetan and english. http://lamagursam.org/tbf-prayer-book.pdf
:thanks:

tobes

Post by tobes » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:53 pm

2ndchance wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:38 pm

I would also like to encourage you to do this. Whilst it is true that the name refers more to a notion of the 'condensed essence' of the perfection of wisdom sutras, I think it is also true that it does indeed cultivate and open the heart. The heart is prajnaparamita, but one must make effort to realise this. The mantra is profound and I have confidence that it will help you overcome the aforementioned problems, especially if you are diligent, have patience and also utilise other means. Best of luck! :namaste:

Lhasa

Post by Lhasa » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:50 pm

Here are some video teachings on the Heart Sutra.

https://dharmasun.org/talks/

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:32 pm

Miroku,

I've received the lung for the sutra and the associated dog-pa from several Teachers over the years.

The 100-day thing is something I've been teaching for years as a way to get people to actually do whatever the practice is I am transmitting. I use this when there are not otherwise instructions on accumulating numbers or time. Usually I suggest this approach for shortish practices, frequently sutric but not necessarily only sutric. I started using this method when I was a qigong teacher back in the 70s. So it may have been something I picked up from a Chinese qigong teacher. Can't remember.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

haha

Post by haha » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:29 pm

2ndchance

Generally, the title of any buddhist text gives the meaning of its content completely. It is Prajñāpāramitāhṛdaya Sutra. If one regards the other Prajñāpāramitā Sutras as the whole body, then this sutra is the Heart.

In one way, we can say that it is the cultivation of the heart.

I have heard several times the explanation of its mantra by HH Dalai Lama. If you search, you may find it.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”