Beginner Practice Books?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
SilenceMonkey

Beginner Practice Books?

Post by SilenceMonkey » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:19 pm

Can anyone suggest a book, article or youtube video explaining basic aspects of ritual practice? eg. Setting up an altar, how to properly use a mala for mantra, how to make prayers and why, basic ways to develop merit... This sort of thing.

This is for a friend beginning in Tibetan Buddhism but with no direct access to a teacher. She has taken refuge but is at a loss for how to begin with the ritual aspects. And I'm at a loss for what to tell her.

tingdzin

Re: Beginner Practice Books?

Post by tingdzin » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:50 pm

A very thorough introduction to Tibetan Buddhist ritual is Stephen Beyer's The Cult of Tara. It might be a bit daunting for a beginner, but virtually everything about Tibetan rituals is explained in it, and it's not written in academic language.

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:18 am

SilenceMonkey wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:19 pm
Can anyone suggest a book, article or youtube video explaining basic aspects of ritual practice? eg. Setting up an altar, how to properly use a mala for mantra, how to make prayers and why, basic ways to develop merit... This sort of thing.

This is for a friend beginning in Tibetan Buddhism but with no direct access to a teacher. She has taken refuge but is at a loss for how to begin with the ritual aspects. And I'm at a loss for what to tell her.
there is a book called "secret oral teachings on generation of the deity" of Gyatrul Rinpoche, there is some etiquette on mala, mantra and alike.

Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:05 am

SilenceMonkey wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:19 pm
Well, I think for the ritual or formal aspects of Tibetan Buddhism, it is essential to make contact with a center and/or teacher to start out with. There are many teaching centres now that offer instruction via the Internet, and she could always sign up here for no charge and ask questions, there are many resources available via DharmaWheel.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi

Yeshe Dorje

Post by Yeshe Dorje » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:01 am

This booklet has some information on Altar set-up
http://www.atishacentre.org.au/wp-conte ... -Bowls.pdf

Tlalok

Post by Tlalok » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:17 pm

HH Phakchok Rinpoche requested that this introductory book by Khenpo Gyaltsen of Ka-nying Shedrub Ling monastery be translated into English. It covers a lot of the fundamentals of Tibetan Buddhist practices, including Shamatha meditation, mantra recitation, how to hold a mala, shrine set up and more!

It also elucidates a lot of the more esoteric elements of the tradition like tormas, cham dances etc, but not in enough detail to elide the need for a teacher.

https://lhaseylotsawa.org/books/a-lamp- ... liberation

philji

Post by philji » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:29 pm

Tlalok wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:17 pm
HH Phakchok Rinpoche requested that this introductory book by Khenpo Gyaltsen of Ka-nying Shedrub Ling monastery be translated into English. It covers a lot of the fundamentals of Tibetan Buddhist practices, including Shamatha meditation, mantra recitation, how to hold a mala, shrine set up and more!

It also elucidates a lot of the more esoteric elements of the tradition like tormas, cham dances etc, but not in enough detail to elide the need for a teacher.

https://lhaseylotsawa.org/books/a-lamp- ... liberation
This is a great reference book.

明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:32 pm

Lord of Love, by Bokar Rinpoche

:buddha1:
With a heart wandering in ignorance down this path and that, to guide me I simply say Namu-Amida-Butsu. -- Ippen

The Fundamental Vow [of Amitabha Buddha] is just for such people as woodcutters and grassgatherers, vegetable pickers, drawers of water and the like, illiterate folk who merely recite the Buddha's name wholeheartedly, confident that as a result of saying "Namu Amida Butsu" they will be born into the western land. -- Master Hōnen

stevie

Post by stevie » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:45 pm

rigsreco

Post by rigsreco » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:20 pm

Mönlam Tharchin wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:32 pm
Lord of Love, by Bokar Rinpoche

:buddha1:
This is the book I am reading at the moment, as I try to incorporate a daily Chenrezi practice. This is a very rare book, most probably out of print. When I was in Nepal few months back, I looked for it everywhere but in vain. You can find it online but at a very steep price.

justsit

Post by justsit » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:40 am

Looks like Lord of Love is available from Namse Bangdzo for a reasonable price. Reprint maybe?

https://www.namsebangdzo.com/Chenrezig- ... p/5205.htm

Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:37 am

justsit wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:40 am
Looks like Lord of Love is available from Namse Bangdzo for a reasonable price. Reprint maybe?

https://www.namsebangdzo.com/Chenrezig- ... p/5205.htm
This looks like something you should snap up. It looks like the original, and they refer to the Clear Point Press who were the original publishers, so it could be a reprint, or maybe somebody in the store found a box of them in a back room somewhere!

Being somewhat obsessive about my Dharma Books, I prepared a catalog, currently with 489 entries. Lord of Love is in there, but having organized the library recently I had to confirm my suspicion that Lord of Love has gone missing. I don't recall lending it to anyone, so maybe it will turn up one day, but I have been looking for it for at least 10 years, so maybe not!

I did just look on Amazon. A few used copies are on offer at various rather high prices.
All the best
Alex Wilding
Stupa in the Snow blog at http://chagchen.org/

rigsreco

Post by rigsreco » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:05 pm

The book is not in stock at Name Bangdzo bookstore. When I tried adding it to the cart, it says currently out of stock. So, we are back to square one. Wonderful, rare book, currently out of print and available on Amazon and Ebay at a very steep price ($40-$50).

justsit

Post by justsit » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:52 am

OK, let's try again. There are a number of possibles here; not sure how often they update the list, you'll have to check. At least some of the prices aren't totally ridiculous.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Search ... SBN-_-used

Also, here's the Thrift Book copy as listed on eBay US for a little less, $47 plus free shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chenrezig-Lord ... Sw-RVcnfx5

Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:19 am

And here was me, having decided that I was irritated enough by the disapparition of my copy that at that price it would be worth plugging the gap and getting another copy. I was going to do that this morning! Illusions, illusions.

It's a small book, so perhaps I should dig through the various assorted folders on the bottom shelf of the library and see if it's hiding there. Who'll suggest me a mantra to help finding lost dharma books?
:smile:

BUT BUT BUT

I have a pdf file. The filename looks like I got it from scribd. Now I do love a physical book, and oddly they have turned out to be more durable than digital media, but it's the contents that count. So all is not lost. The file says that the real thing has been out of print since June 2010.

Google 367222480-Chenrezig-Lord-of-Love-pdf and you should find it.
All the best
Alex Wilding
Stupa in the Snow blog at http://chagchen.org/

Terma

Post by Terma » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:50 am

I bought mine from the Kindle store on Amazon. I actually prefer my books in this format now days, as I can read them pretty much anywhere on my phone.

Some people prefer actual books of course, but it is another option.

emaho

Post by emaho » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:26 am

Is the kindle version well edited? (I'm asking because I recently fell for a kindle "ebook" that had the text as low resolution scanned images :( )

I prefer ebooks, too. If anyone would like to have my paper book I'd be happy to give it away for the price of the kindle version plus shipping costs. I do live in Germany, however.

*talking about "Chenrezig, Lord of Love"
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen

Terma

Post by Terma » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:50 am

emaho wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:26 am
Is the kindle version well edited? (I'm asking because I recently fell for a kindle "ebook" that had the text as low resolution scanned images :( )

I prefer ebooks, too. If anyone would like to have my paper book I'd be happy to give it away for the price of the kindle version plus shipping costs. I do live in Germany, however.

*talking about "Chenrezig, Lord of Love"
I think it is decently edited and formatted, certainly fine for the $10 it cost. I do know what you mean though, the odd book here and there is sometimes not formatted correctly but for the most part, most of my kindle dharma books are great. The only hard cover dharma books I read now are ones that are not available on Kindle, actually.

As an aside, you can always get a free preview of any Kindle book sent to your mobile or whichever device you use. You will be able to see for yourself if it is suitable for purchase or not.

emaho

Post by emaho » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:00 pm

Thanks, Terma, I should have thought about that! You're right, it looks very well edited, so my paper version is available.
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”