Empowerment for Blessings

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
madhusudan

Empowerment for Blessings

Post by madhusudan » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:29 am

I attended a Dudjom Tersar torma empowerment for Padmasambhava some time ago which was described as being "for blessings". There was no practice or sadhana taught.

Can someone clarify what this means?

I ask because I am interested in doing a Lake Born Vajra practice, but don't want to break samaya if I am not supposed to.

I'm asking here because I am living abroad and have been unable to reach the Dharma center.

Thanks.

PeterC

Re: Empowerment for Blessings

Post by PeterC » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:34 am

The only definitive answer you can receive is from the lama who gave the empowerment.

In general an empowerment is an empowerment is an empowerment. If you received it, you have samaya with the vajra master.

It’s up to the vajra master to set practice commitments for those receiving the empowerment, and indeed to set prerequisites if they so desire. Failure to fulfil these commitments is a breach of samaya as you are breaking a promise to the vajra master.

A lot of empowerments are described as ‘blessings’ and given with no associated practice commitments. As I understand it, the only functional difference is the practice commitment. These are still perfectly valid empowerments, and if you receive the appropriate lungs and instructions you can do the practice. Absence of a practice commitment also doesn’t excuse you from samaya commitments either.

If you want to do Tsokye Dorje you would need the specific empowerment for that - not just any Dudjom Padmasambhava empowerment - the lung of the sadhana, and the explanation. It’s a great practice and I would encourage you to seek those out - if you have the empowerment there are many lamas that can give them to you.

madhusudan

Re: Empowerment for Blessings

Post by madhusudan » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:38 am

Thank you, Peter, for your response. That was informative. I will make an effort to get in touch with the lama to ask him.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”