Q: on Christopher Wilkinson translations

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
javier.espinoza.t

Q: on Christopher Wilkinson translations

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:40 am

Hi, have you reviews on Christopher Wilkinson translations of the Dzogchen 17/18 Tantras? i saw that he translated a lot, but since this is an enormous amount of work i doubted of the quality of translations.

Please, i'm not trying to critizise, just want to know which style (interpretative, mostly literal, etc) and accuracy of translation he uses and the results that pratitioners could perceive.
"Don't profess a view you haven't realized!
Since the view is devoid of viewing, mind essence is an expanse of great emptiness.
Since the meditation is without meditating, leave your individual experience free from fixation.
Since the conduct is without acting, it is unfabricated naturalness.
Since the fruition is without abandoning or achieving, it is the dharmakaya of great bliss.
These four sentences are words from my heart:
Contradict them and you fail to discover the nature of Ati Yoga."

Guru Padmasambhava.
From "Advice from the Lotus-Born".

amanitamusc

Re: Q: on Christopher Wilkinson translations

Post by amanitamusc » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:22 am

javier.espinoza.t wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:40 am
Hi, have you reviews on Christopher Wilkinson translations of the Dzogchen 17/18 Tantras? i saw that he translated a lot, but since this is an enormous amount of work i doubted of the quality of translations.

Please, i'm not trying to critizise, just want to know which style (interpretative, mostly literal, etc) and accuracy of translation he uses and the results that pratitioners could perceive.
I don't see anyone recommend his translations on this forum.Maybe someone will give yea shout.

Fa Dao

Post by Fa Dao » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:07 pm

Actually I have a few of his books. I like them, especially since they are the only translations out there for many dzogchen tantras. I cant tell you how accurate they are as I don't speak/read/write Tibetan. However that being said he appears to be knowledgeable and has a sincere desire to get as many translations out there as he can for English speakers. Wouldn't hurt to check one out and if you like it...cool..if not, well, its only one book.
"But if you know how to observe yourself, you will discover your real nature, the primordial state, the state of Guruyoga, and then all will become clear because you will have discovered everything"-Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche

Josef

Post by Josef » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:10 pm

They seem rushed and are poorly edited.
Kye ma!
The river of continuity is marked by impermanence.
Ceaseless flowing of appearance.
Beautiful and repulsive.
The dance of life and death is a display of the vast expanse.
With gratitude the watcher and the watched pass through the barrier of duality.

heart

Post by heart » Fri May 03, 2019 8:15 pm

javier.espinoza.t wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:40 am

Pretty unreadable in my opinion. I have the DraTalgyur and one other. Better read Malcolm's translations and have some patience.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel » Fri May 03, 2019 11:23 pm

Also not my cup of tea. However, I was a translator (Chinese to English) and copy-editor for 30 years. So I have very definite opinions about professional translation of technical non-fiction.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Sat May 04, 2019 10:44 pm

i see. Thank you all :)

Translations are so difficult to manage!
"Don't profess a view you haven't realized!
Since the view is devoid of viewing, mind essence is an expanse of great emptiness.
Since the meditation is without meditating, leave your individual experience free from fixation.
Since the conduct is without acting, it is unfabricated naturalness.
Since the fruition is without abandoning or achieving, it is the dharmakaya of great bliss.
These four sentences are words from my heart:
Contradict them and you fail to discover the nature of Ati Yoga."

Guru Padmasambhava.
From "Advice from the Lotus-Born".

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”