Vajrayana. It’s Simple.

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Simon E.

Vajrayana. It’s Simple.

Post by Simon E. » Sat May 18, 2019 3:04 pm

Find a teacher. Cross check their pedigree to ensure that they are lineage holders.
Follow their instructions.
Leave your beliefs and opinions outside the door.

There ya go. It’s not easy. But it is simple.
I know nothing. This is not false modesty.

smcj

Re: Vajrayana. It’s Simple.

Post by smcj » Sat May 18, 2019 3:07 pm

£$&^@ wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 3:04 pm
Find a teacher. Cross check their pedigree to ensure that they are lineage holders.

:good:
1. No traditional Buddhist sect, Tibetan or otherwise, considers deities to be fictional. (DW post/Seeker242)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against Lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post/by ?)
4. Shentong] is the completely pure system that,
Through mainly teaching the luminous aspect of the mind, holds that the fruitions--kayas and wisdoms--exist on their own accord. (Karmapa XIII)

justsit

Post by justsit » Sat May 18, 2019 3:19 pm

ETA The first video "Interview with Ponlop Rinpoche" is the one I'm referencing. Can't figure how to isolate it from the playlist, sorry.

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Sat May 18, 2019 4:37 pm

£$&^@ wrote:

Define "simple."

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Sat May 18, 2019 4:53 pm

I remembered while watching this that the first time I saw Ponlop R. he was 17 years old. He was giving teachings at the Earth Sciences Department at Oxford University. Shenpen Hookham translated for him because his English back then was pretty basic.
But essentially he was already fully formed, and his message of simplicity was already his theme.

Mönlam Tharchin
Former staff member

Post by Mönlam Tharchin » Sat May 18, 2019 5:44 pm

While looking for a teacher, or while waiting for conditions to make that search possible, there are still riches in the Vajrayana tradition that can benefit everyone:

* Shantideva's Guide to the Bodhisattva Way of Life
* teachings on rousing bodhicitta in everyday life
* lamrim, a clear presentation of the preliminary teachings
* the lojong slogans, memorable one-liners for everyday life
* Chenrezig, Amitabha, Green Tara, Medicine Buddha, Namgyalma who have practices and mantras that anyone can do
* the Four Opponent Powers for overcoming negativities and faults
* Eight Verses of Training the Mind

I don't consider myself a Vajrayana Buddhist, not having a teacher or the ability to find one. But I hope the resources above are helpful to those still in the search. Even if you don't find a teacher, time spent cultivating bodhicitta or connecting to compassionate buddhas is never wasted :smile:
With a heart wandering in ignorance down this path and that, to guide me I simply say Namu-amida-butsu. -- Ippen

If in your heart you hold the thought, "I shall continue to utter the nembutsu," the Buddha will turn his attention to you, and thus you are one among those who are thought about and cherished. -- Master Hōnen

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Sat May 18, 2019 6:13 pm

justsit wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 3:19 pm

ETA The first video "Interview with Ponlop Rinpoche" is the one I'm referencing. Can't figure how to isolate it from the playlist, sorry.

As Rinpoche says it’s important not to look too far away. If you have a guide and instruction you have everything you need.

Lhasa

Post by Lhasa » Sat May 18, 2019 7:43 pm

Does Ponlop Rinpoche ever live-stream teachings?

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Sat May 18, 2019 8:30 pm

£$&^@ wrote:

It sounds simple :rolling: .
it is the most difficul thing i ever have found in my life, ... ever!
"Don't profess a view you haven't realized!
Since the view is devoid of viewing, mind essence is an expanse of great emptiness.
Since the meditation is without meditating, leave your individual experience free from fixation.
Since the conduct is without acting, it is unfabricated naturalness.
Since the fruition is without abandoning or achieving, it is the dharmakaya of great bliss.
These four sentences are words from my heart:
Contradict them and you fail to discover the nature of Ati Yoga."

Guru Padmasambhava.
From "Advice from the Lotus-Born".

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Sat May 18, 2019 8:35 pm

I said simple. Not easy. :smile:
It’s the very simplicity that drives us to over complicate everything and heap piles of conceptualisation over direct experience.

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Sat May 18, 2019 10:04 pm

£$&^@ wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:35 pm
It’s the very simplicity that drives us to over complicate everything and heap piles of conceptualisation over direct experience.
aah, the classic ace under the sleeve argument. to put it simple, we don't know when a person have had a primordial exp. nor if the person knew that had a primordial experience.

is not that simple. no need to mention the fulfillment of commitments, dealing w/ ethernalistic/nihlistic pov, etc ...

why you think is simple? it is so easy to get lost...
"Don't profess a view you haven't realized!
Since the view is devoid of viewing, mind essence is an expanse of great emptiness.
Since the meditation is without meditating, leave your individual experience free from fixation.
Since the conduct is without acting, it is unfabricated naturalness.
Since the fruition is without abandoning or achieving, it is the dharmakaya of great bliss.
These four sentences are words from my heart:
Contradict them and you fail to discover the nature of Ati Yoga."

Guru Padmasambhava.
From "Advice from the Lotus-Born".

Miroku
Global Moderator

Post by Miroku » Sat May 18, 2019 11:03 pm

javier.espinoza.t wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:04 pm
£$&^@ wrote:
aah, the classic ace under the sleeve argument. to put it simple, we don't know when a person have had a primordial exp. nor if the person knew that had a primordial experience.

is not that simple. no need to mention the fulfillment of commitments, dealing w/ ethernalistic/nihlistic pov, etc ...

Because it is simple. What you point out is what makes it hard. Simple things can be hard to do. For example it is simple to walk up on a high mountain, you just walk until you are there. But pain in legs, thin air, avalanches can make it hard.
A boat delivers you to the other riverbank.
A needle stitches up your clothes.
A horse takes you where you want to go.
Bodhicitta will bring you to Buddhahood.
~ Khunu Lama Rinpoche

Even non-buddhists have many virtuous accomplishments
~ Jigten Sumgon

justsit

Post by justsit » Sun May 19, 2019 12:11 am

Lhasa wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 7:43 pm
Does Ponlop Rinpoche ever live-stream teachings?
Yes, occasionally. Check out the Nalandabodhi website.https://nalandabodhi.org/, sign up for the mailing list.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Sun May 19, 2019 8:04 am

javier.espinoza.t wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:04 pm
£$&^@ wrote:

You are mistaking ‘simple’ and easy. Things can be simple and hard, or complex but easy.
Vajrayana is in essence simple but hard. Of course we can get lost. That’s why a teacher is more important than a reading list..

Wayfarer
Global Moderator

Post by Wayfarer » Sun May 19, 2019 11:13 am

I understood there's more to it than finding a teacher - it relies on finding a guru, doesn't it? I mean, university lecturers in Buddhism are teachers, and there are others that teach the subject of Buddhism. But finding a Vajrayana teacher is a matter of finding a heart connection with a spiritual mentor and guide, isn't it? I thought that kind of connection with a teacher was basic to Vajrayana, isn't it? And also, from an outsiders view, everything I have heard about Vajrayana is that the ritual forms, recitations, symbols and practices are often very complex. There's no way I think 'ngondro' practices could be considered 'easy'. So I must confess, I find the basic motivation behind this OP a bit hard to fathom. :shrug:
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi

Miroku
Global Moderator

Post by Miroku » Sun May 19, 2019 11:39 am

Wayfarer wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:13 am
I understood there's more to it than finding a teacher - it relies on finding a guru, doesn't it? I mean, university lecturers in Buddhism are teachers, and there are others that teach the subject of Buddhism. But finding a Vajrayana teacher is a matter of finding a heart connection with a spiritual mentor and guide, isn't it? I thought that kind of connection with a teacher was basic to Vajrayana, isn't it? And also, from an outsiders view, everything I have heard about Vajrayana is that the ritual forms, recitations, symbols and practices are often very complex. There's no way I think 'ngondro' practices could be considered 'easy'. So I must confess, I find the basic motivation behind this OP a bit hard to fathom. :shrug:
Yes, that all is true, but quite often it is just "enough" to find a teacher that is reliable. Quite honestly nowadays it is not so hard to find a qualified guide. I mean, there is HH. Sakya Trinzin, HH. Dalailama, HE. Garchen Rinpoche, etc. etc. etc. Many of them giving teachings online and traveling the world. One does not have to find "THE" guru from the very beginning. Finding a qualified vajrayana teacher and taking teachings from them even if there are no sparks is already a sign of past connection of some sorts. Spending time to find "THE" guru instead of starting asap with different qualified teacher and doing practices could even be considered a waste of precious human life. Milarepa first went to a dzogchen teacher before finding Marpa. Jigten Sumgon was already a great practitioner before finding Phagmodrugpa. Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche has already received many teachings and done some retreats before finding Changchub Dorje who showed him his real nature. So it is still very simple.

Plus the point of OP is that when we take a look at it from distance it is not really that complicated. And it is not. Find a teacher and practice. That is all it takes. The trick is that there are many problems along the way that make this fairly simple matter hard.
A boat delivers you to the other riverbank.
A needle stitches up your clothes.
A horse takes you where you want to go.
Bodhicitta will bring you to Buddhahood.
~ Khunu Lama Rinpoche

Even non-buddhists have many virtuous accomplishments
~ Jigten Sumgon

TrimePema

Post by TrimePema » Sun May 19, 2019 12:05 pm

Mönlam Tharchin wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 5:44 pm
While looking for a teacher, or while waiting for conditions to make that search possible, there are still riches in the Vajrayana tradition that can benefit everyone:

* Shantideva's Guide to the Bodhisattva Way of Life
* teachings on rousing bodhicitta in everyday life
* lamrim, a clear presentation of the preliminary teachings
* the lojong slogans, memorable one-liners for everyday life
* Chenrezig, Amitabha, Green Tara, Medicine Buddha, Namgyalma who have practices and mantras that anyone can do
* the Four Opponent Powers for overcoming negativities and faults
* Eight Verses of Training the Mind

I don't consider myself a Vajrayana Buddhist, not having a teacher or the ability to find one. But I hope the resources above are helpful to those still in the search. Even if you don't find a teacher, time spent cultivating bodhicitta or connecting to compassionate buddhas is never wasted :smile:
Good news! One does not need to simply "wait for conditions"... One can accumulate the causes and conditions! If it's not happening, one needs more merit. If one needs more merit, the best way is mandala offerings with bodhichitta and also making aspirations to find one's teacher.
:) :) :)

The four thoughts and four immeasurables should be sufficient for the development of bodhichitta. Since Om mani padme hum is the essence of Dharma, I heard it is all one needs. Likewise, since sambhogakaya Chenrezig is inseparable from the nirmanakaya Guru Rinpoche, the Vajra Guru mantra functions as a path as well. Since dharmakaya Amitabha is inseparable as well, om ami dewa hri is also a path. :anjali: :anjali: :anjali:

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Sun May 19, 2019 3:11 pm

Wayfarer wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:13 am
A) Did you watch the video of Ponlop Rinpoche? If so how does the OP differ from what he says?
B) Because the OP is posted in the Tibetan Buddhist sub forum I thought It would be clear that I was talking about a Vajrayana teacher. :smile:
C) I did not say that following the Vajrayana is “easy”. In fact it takes everything you have. I said it was simple. And in its essence it is. All the sadhanas, ngondro, creation and completion etc are sprats for mackerels.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Sun May 19, 2019 3:44 pm

£$&^@ wrote:

Here is the OP, Note ‘It’s NOT easy.’ Note ’check that their pedigree to ensure that they are lineage holders’ .Only lineage holders can function as Vajrayana gurus. This is actually pretty basic uncontroversial stuff.

Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu » Sun May 19, 2019 5:08 pm

Yes, it is exactly that simple. And yes, not easy in so many ways.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”