A Lesson.

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Simon E.

A Lesson.

Post by Simon E. » Wed May 22, 2019 9:40 am

I have told this story before, but sometimes I need to read it again. :smile:
At one time there was a shop in central London near the British Museum that was run by the Tibet Society..it closed some time ago as shops in that kind of locality are now way out of the financial range of such organisations. Any how I popped one day to buy incense and there was a new young man serving..he was about 28 or 30. We got talking and I was struck by a certain air about him. I asked if he had a teacher..” My interest is purely about the welfare of the Tibetans, I know nothing about Buddhism” he replied.

Some months later I attended public teachings in central London, given by a well known and well respected Lama.
There sitting close to the Lama and clearly attending on him was the same young man.
Intrigued, I asked a friend who was a student of that Lama about the young man and told him of my previous encounter. “ Oh that’s xxxxxxxx “ he said. “ Rinpoche considers him one of his most accomplished students, but xxxxxxxx won’t talk about it”.

There is a time to sow and a time to reap..
I know nothing. This is not false modesty.

kajibabu

Re: A Lesson.

Post by kajibabu » Wed May 22, 2019 10:11 am

Thanks Simon for sharing this story. I love this.
Babu, from Nepal

fckw

Post by fckw » Wed May 22, 2019 3:01 pm

Nice story, but what is the lesson announced in the title?

yagmort

Post by yagmort » Wed May 22, 2019 3:15 pm

that is nice to know a Tibetan lama considers a westerner one of his most accomplished students. quite inspiring. thank you for sharing

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Wed May 22, 2019 3:50 pm

fckw wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 3:01 pm
Nice story, but what is the lesson announced in the title?
That some people who are considered accomplished by highly regarded teachers do not feel that they have to play a particular role to prove something.
And that some people see the danger to their practise in ego display.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Wed May 22, 2019 8:40 pm

I've been thinking lately about just how easy it is to involve the eight world Dharma in your practice. It's ridiculously hard not to, the minute you declare yourself one thing or another, the minute you become involved in comparison or credentialing it begins. I know a few "hidden Yogis" who I think probably are significantly realized, the more I examine my own motivations, the more I understand why people keep their practice hidden and stay out of the limelight.
There's no hoarding what has vanished,
No piling up for the future;
Those who have been born are standing
Like a seed upon a needle.

-Guhatthaka-suttaniddeso

Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen » Wed May 22, 2019 8:58 pm

:good: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Thu May 23, 2019 1:05 am

"Disco Stu doesn't advertise."
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan » Thu May 23, 2019 5:15 am

"Of the two witnesses, hold the principal one."
With a heart wandering in ignorance down this path and that, to guide me I simply say Namu-amida-butsu. -- Ippen

The virtuous man should recite nembutsu just as he is, as should the bad man. We regard faithful people, who repeat Nembutsu with a mind as pure as the day they were born, as those who do not require external support in nembutsu. However, if the bad rectify their misdeeds, become good and recite nembutsu, they will truly be in harmony with the heart of Buddha Amitabha. -- Master Hōnen

muni

Post by muni » Thu May 23, 2019 7:33 am

Its a nice story and possible different lessons can be seen in it.
It could tell as well because all are nature, therefore all have the capacity to wake up and he was therefore not different or other than you.
Thank you for sharing. :anjali:
May I be a guard for those without one,
A guide for all who journey on the road,
May I become a boat, a raft or bridge,
For all who wish to cross the water.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Thu May 23, 2019 8:52 am

muni wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:33 am
Its a nice story and possible different lessons can be seen in it.
It could tell as well because all are nature, therefore all have the capacity to wake up and he was therefore not different or other than you.
Thank you for sharing. :anjali:
Yes...that’s almost exactly what it DOESN’T mean.

You’re welcome.

Miroku
Global Moderator

Post by Miroku » Thu May 23, 2019 8:59 am

Queequeg wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:05 am
"Disco Stu doesn't advertise."
Now I want you to become a teacher just to hear it being said from a throne. :twothumbsup:
A boat delivers you to the other riverbank.
A needle stitches up your clothes.
A horse takes you where you want to go.
Bodhicitta will bring you to Buddhahood.
~ Khunu Lama Rinpoche

Even non-buddhists have many virtuous accomplishments
~ Jigten Sumgon

weitsicht

Post by weitsicht » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:08 pm

£$&^@ wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 9:40 am
My interest is purely about the welfare of the Tibetans, I know nothing about Buddhism” he replied.
I have big respect for those who maintain or even cultivate humility, who for example have no need to display their affiliation the least by winding their mala around the wrist.

But Simon, taking this story with a grain of salt: didn't he (she?) lie? Even more, would he/she not even be an obstacle to someone being truly interested in the Buddhadharma but not getting questions answered?

What the story holds in for me is, that you, Simon, got confirmed by your gut feeling having something about his aura although unconfirmed at the outset. Auspicious for you, and maybe a karmic connect?
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:38 pm

At different times we need different medicine. He was acting according to his teachers instructions and that was what he needed to do at that time, guard his eyes, be recollected, be ‘hidden’. It was not the time for him to try to influence others.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:01 pm

A postscript..and lesson for me about impermanence, since posting the OP I went past the site where the shop used to be ( it’s near the British Museum) and the whole block was demolished and rebuilt as posh shops with luxury apartments above them.

tobes

Post by tobes » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:12 am

weitsicht wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:08 pm
£$&^@ wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 9:40 am
My interest is purely about the welfare of the Tibetans, I know nothing about Buddhism” he replied.
I have big respect for those who maintain or even cultivate humility, who for example have no need to display their affiliation the least by winding their mala around the wrist.

But Simon, taking this story with a grain of salt: didn't he (she?) lie? Even more, would he/she not even be an obstacle to someone being truly interested in the Buddhadharma but not getting questions answered?
I love the story too, but also thought this.

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:39 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:40 pm
I've been thinking lately about just how easy it is to involve the eight world Dharma in your practice. It's ridiculously hard not to, the minute you declare yourself one thing or another, the minute you become involved in comparison or credentialing it begins. I know a few "hidden Yogis" who I think probably are significantly realized, the more I examine my own motivations, the more I understand why people keep their practice hidden and stay out of the limelight.
:good:
and IMO the phrase I bolded is the key.
Declaring yourself at all is "I-making" and must tend to negate the part of the practice which is about breaking down attachment to a permanent Self.
Declaring yourself to yourself alone may be still be helpful, in asserting that you are now this kind of person (student, follower of the dharma, or whatever) instead of that kind (party animal or whatever) and focusing your aspirations
Declaring yourself in public puts all sorts of inappropriate expectations on your behaviour - both from others and from yourself.

:namaste:
Kim

weitsicht

Post by weitsicht » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:24 am

This guy in the incense shop probably chose an answer that helped him to abstain a sticky projection which so easily strengthens ego-sense.
Not expressing much about the personal practise is also a trait I see in my teacher, and it's probably good in the way that I have to figure out myself what's good for me or what I need. Copying others' opinion or behaviour is comfortable and often happens unconsciously.

@Simon: the run-down building becoming a posh building to serve the consumers' hunger for other things... Impermanence, A La La Ho.
I think often lately about what CTR coined "green energy". Money has special energy formations and now that we are in the fifth year of zero-coupon National Bank Rates, these become crazy.
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:35 am

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:39 am
Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:40 pm
:good:
and IMO the phrase I bolded is the key. I8o
Declaring yourself at all is "I-making" and must tend to negate the part of the practice which is about breaking down attachment to a permanent Self.
Declaring yourself to yourself alone may be still be helpful, in asserting that you are now this kind of person (student, follower of the dharma, or whatever) instead of that kind (party animal or whatever) and focusing your aspirations
Declaring yourself in public puts all sorts of inappropriate expectations on your behaviour - both from others and from yourself.

All that, plus the fact that as I tried to make clear he was actually instructed by his Guru during that period of his ‘apprentiship’ not to talk about Dharma, and if necessary, to deny any knowledge. I know of others who received similar temporary injunctions from their Gurus..who presumably knew what their students needed at that time. The Vajrayana is geared to the individual, it doesn’t come off the peg. Which is one of the main reasons for its apparent ‘secrecy’and why it can’t be learned from books and videos, and why name dropping other people’s teachers is greeted with a wry smile.
Last edited by DNS on Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:48 am

I made a mess of the quoting facility..the last para is my reply.. :?

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”