Saka Dawa 2019

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Re: Saka Dawa 2019

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Thank you Pema! :anjali: I must say that is quite a long list. :D
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

I searched 84000.co in vain:
could someone kindly provide me with a link to the Prajñā­pāramitā­sūtra (pdf in preference)
Have a good Saga Dawa time and thanks.
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

weitsicht wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:42 am I searched 84000.co in vain:
could someone kindly provide me with a link to the Prajñā­pāramitā­sūtra (pdf in preference)
Have a good Saga Dawa time and thanks.
There are many PP sutras, of varying lengths. Here is one PDF from 84000 (click on Published texts only):

http://read.84000.co/section/O1JC114941JC14665.html
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Nicholas Weeks wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:25 pm The full moon will be 17 June, so until and on that date is the time to do, think & speak good. Merit is multiplied many times over....

Does Saka Dawa begin on the 7th Day of the 4th Lunar Month (Anniversary of Birth of the Buddha) and end at the peak of the Full Moon on the 15th Day? (Anniversary of the Parinirvana of the Buddha, which was very early this morning)

Or does it go until the peak of the New Moon of the 30th Day of the 4th Lunar Month? (which this year happens to be a Total Solar Eclipse)

Perhaps Saka Dawa ends at the peak of sunset in India following the peak of the Full Moon? (Which would have been approximately two hours ago)

And also about the merit multiplying effect:

If Saka Dawa does end at the peak of the Full Moon on the Lunar 15th, does the multiplying effect end there too? Or does the multiplying effect perhaps gradually wane until the peak of the New Moon on the 30th Lunar Day of the 4th Lunar Month?
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Sādhaka,

No expert am I, but if Dawa means month, a lunar month from New Moon thru Full, back to New, I would guess merit multiplying occurs on every one of those days. The maximum would be on the day of the Full Moon.

Now how exactly the length of the Full Moon day is measured and how or if merit increases as the Full is approached and merit wanes back to New, I do not know.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Thank you Nicholas. That makes sense.

Then it seems that Saka Dawa begins on the 1st Lunar Day of the 4th Lunar month (incidentally the Anniversary of Sangye Lingpa).

I don’t want to invent something that doesn’t exist; it just seems logical that the multiplying effect of the Month of Saka Dawa gradually increases from the beginning of the 4th Lunar Month and maximizes at the peak of the Full Moon (times 100 million it is said), then gradually decreases until the following New Moon.

Of course the New Moon itself is always a merit multiplying time, but not necessarily by 100 million times. However as I said the next New Moon happens to be a Total Solar Eclipse, which is itself much more powerful than an ordinary New Moon.

The moon has only waned less than half of 1%, as of now, so it seems that there is still plenty of multiplying opportunity for the Month of Saka Dawa.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Summer Solstice occurred about an hour ago on this 21 June day. Not sure if it is also a special merit multiplier day because of falling in Saka Dawa time or it would be a meritorious day even if it did not happen during Saka Dawa.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

I’m pretty sure that Solstices & Equinoxes are always merit multipliers. I believe by at least 100,000....

Now is Losar, Tibetan New Year, also a merit multiplier day? And if so, does anyone know how many times merits are multiplied on Losar?
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

All I had to do was open up a Tibetan calendar to see that from the New Moon on Losar to the Full Moon on Chotrul Duchen, Anniversaries of the Buddha Śākyamuni and Tonpa Shenrab Miwoche, would all be Merit-multiplying days.

https://fpmt.org/edu-news/ideas-and-adv ... chen-2019/

All fifteen days are merit multiplying days, when the merit of virtuous actions performed on these days is multiplied by 100 million, as cited by Lama Zopa Rinpoche from the vinaya text Treasure of Quotations and Logic.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”