Sponsoring Puja/Prayers for a Friend

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Post Reply
Terma
Posts: 272
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:07 am

Sponsoring Puja/Prayers for a Friend

Post by Terma » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:44 pm

I have a friend that I would like to help out by sponsoring a puja or prayers on his behalf. There are various options listed at the site monlam.org , in which these are done a Ka-Nying Shedrup Ling or Nagi Gompa, in Nepal. I am also a student of Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche so this is why I mentioned this particular one.

This person has severe anxiety when travelling, especially to new environments. He is trying to combat this to in order to go on a trip with his family in the next month or two.

Is there a particular Puja that would be recommended for something like this? He is not a Buddhist, but is open minded however.

Thank you.

philji
Posts: 800
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 2:26 pm

Re: Sponsoring Puja/Prayers for a Friend

Post by philji » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:51 pm

This could be helpful.
Padmasambhava Prayer · Düsum Sangye · Buddha of the Three Times · 1,000 recitations · Recited daily · $30 · Donate
Chanted daily, 16:00/17:00hrs.
Padmasambhava Prayer

Terma
Posts: 272
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:07 am

Re: Sponsoring Puja/Prayers for a Friend

Post by Terma » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:08 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. :thumbsup:

The last time I looked at the site there were many other puja's that they offered in addition to the ones on the main page. I will have to have a closer look later on.

Rinchen Samphel
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:47 am

Re: Sponsoring Puja/Prayers for a Friend

Post by Rinchen Samphel » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:13 am

I like the little booklet called "Seven Verses of Supplication to Tara", page 15 specifically.

You can find it here (to download) if you dont already have it.

http://garchen.tw/English/Designed_by_Rinpoche/Booklets

Both Tara and Padmasambhava are great for protection. I dont have advice about sponsoring a puja, as i have never inquired into doing that.

Of course this would be for you to recite, as a part of your practice, for your friend. Which i think would be just as powerful because there is genuine love there.

User avatar
javier.espinoza.t
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:29 am
Location: Chile

Re: Sponsoring Puja/Prayers for a Friend

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:00 pm

Terma wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:44 pm
I have a friend that I would like to help out by sponsoring a puja or prayers on his behalf. There are various options listed at the site monlam.org , in which these are done a Ka-Nying Shedrup Ling or Nagi Gompa, in Nepal. I am also a student of Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche so this is why I mentioned this particular one.

This person has severe anxiety when travelling, especially to new environments. He is trying to combat this to in order to go on a trip with his family in the next month or two.

Is there a particular Puja that would be recommended for something like this? He is not a Buddhist, but is open minded however.

Thank you.
why don't you do it?

Terma
Posts: 272
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:07 am

Re: Sponsoring Puja/Prayers for a Friend

Post by Terma » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:46 pm

javier.espinoza.t wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:00 pm
Terma wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:44 pm
I have a friend that I would like to help out by sponsoring a puja or prayers on his behalf. There are various options listed at the site monlam.org , in which these are done a Ka-Nying Shedrup Ling or Nagi Gompa, in Nepal. I am also a student of Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche so this is why I mentioned this particular one.

This person has severe anxiety when travelling, especially to new environments. He is trying to combat this to in order to go on a trip with his family in the next month or two.

Is there a particular Puja that would be recommended for something like this? He is not a Buddhist, but is open minded however.

Thank you.
why don't you do it?
I have been doing some things on my side as well. I figured that every little bit helps I guess. :twothumbsup:

User avatar
javier.espinoza.t
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:29 am
Location: Chile

Re: Sponsoring Puja/Prayers for a Friend

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:01 pm

Terma wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:46 pm
javier.espinoza.t wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:00 pm
Terma wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:44 pm
I have a friend that I would like to help out by sponsoring a puja or prayers on his behalf. There are various options listed at the site monlam.org , in which these are done a Ka-Nying Shedrup Ling or Nagi Gompa, in Nepal. I am also a student of Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche so this is why I mentioned this particular one.

This person has severe anxiety when travelling, especially to new environments. He is trying to combat this to in order to go on a trip with his family in the next month or two.

Is there a particular Puja that would be recommended for something like this? He is not a Buddhist, but is open minded however.

Thank you.
why don't you do it?
I have been doing some things on my side as well. I figured that every little bit helps I guess. :twothumbsup:
oh, i see. it is good for both :)

philji
Posts: 800
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 2:26 pm

Re: Sponsoring Puja/Prayers for a Friend

Post by philji » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:50 pm

Although it may seem alien to western culture there is great merit and benefit in sponsoring prayers and pujas. Group practice also increases the benefit. We can of course always recite prayers for someone but a sponsored puja has multiple benefits.

WeiHan
Posts: 567
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:50 pm

Re: Sponsoring Puja/Prayers for a Friend

Post by WeiHan » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:30 am

Unexplained ailments, physically or mentally, are quite often the results of past karma or even due to karmic debtors. Any practices, sponsored pujas or self practices often help with perseverance since karma can be purified, karmic debtors may be appeased if the right practices are done.

Fortyeightvows
Posts: 2422
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:37 am

Re: Sponsoring Puja/Prayers for a Friend

Post by Fortyeightvows » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:22 pm

Terma wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:44 pm
Is there a particular Puja that would be recommended for something like this? He is not a Buddhist, but is open minded however.
Kopan Monastery

Terma
Posts: 272
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:07 am

Re: Sponsoring Puja/Prayers for a Friend

Post by Terma » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:42 am

Fortyeightvows wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:22 pm
Terma wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:44 pm
Is there a particular Puja that would be recommended for something like this? He is not a Buddhist, but is open minded however.
Kopan Monastery
Thank you for the suggestion. I have emailed with the nice people at monlam.org, which is connected to Ka-Nying Shedrub Ling Monastery and they even spoke to a senior monk about what the best course of action might be, including both puja suggestions as well as what I can do personally. I look forward to sponsoring more in the future.

Post Reply

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cjdevries, heart, practitioner and 128 guests