image of Pema Tötreng Tsal

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
weitsicht

image of Pema Tötreng Tsal

Post by weitsicht » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:16 am

on the one hand this is supposed to be just another (secret) name for Padmasambhava - from this I take it's NOT an emanation of his
on the other hand his image is different -red and youthful.
Can someone please explain how that works together

and provide with an image? :anjali:
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE

Jangchup Donden

Re: image of Pema Tötreng Tsal

Post by Jangchup Donden » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:39 pm

In the Guru Rinpoche Ngöndro of the Barway Dorje lineage we actually have:

* Vajra Tötreng Tsal

* Ratna Tötreng Tsal

* Pema Tötreng Tsal

* Karma Tötreng Tsal

* Buddha Tötreng Tsal

Each in their respective colors/Buddha family. When I get home I can take a close up photo. Basically each is a Chakravartin in the colors of that Buddha family. So if Pema Tötreng Tsal you're talking about is red, that may be why.

Jangchup Donden

Post by Jangchup Donden » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:32 am

Here are all five Totrengsals surrounding Padmavajra and Varahi (in union). Vajra Totrengsal (blue), Ratna Totrengsal (yellow), Pema Totrengsal (red), Karma Totrengsal (green), and Buddha Totrengsal (White).

weitsicht

Post by weitsicht » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:46 pm

Thanks JD for your Reply!

I'm regularly doing riwo sangchö practise and referred to the Pema Tötreng Tsal summoned therein
http://unfetteredmind.org/mountain-offering-ritual/
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE

heart

Post by heart » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:44 pm

weitsicht wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:46 pm
Thanks JD for your Reply!

I'm regularly doing riwo sangchö practise and referred to the Pema Tötreng Tsal summoned therein
http://unfetteredmind.org/mountain-offering-ritual/
That isn't a particular form in riwo sangchö you can do the form you are familiar with.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:05 pm

I agree with Magnus. In this case, it is just Guru Rinpoche's "secret" name. The implication is that, by using this name as opposed to simply Guru Padmasmabhava, Padmakara, or Guru Rinpoche, His response will be quicker and more powerful.

Good luck & best wishes.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

weitsicht

Post by weitsicht » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:24 am

the text describes him as red in color and youthful, hence my asking for an image.

heart

Post by heart » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:26 pm

weitsicht wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:24 am
the text describes him as red in color and youthful, hence my asking for an image.
It is "reddish white", that is his most common appearance.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”