Buddha Nageshwara Raja

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
pemachophel

Buddha Nageshwara Raja

Post by pemachophel » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:12 pm

Has anyone received a practice for Buddha/Tathagata Nageshwara Raja (sangs rgyas klu dbang gi rgyal po)? If there's any information that can be shared, I'd appreciate it.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

vitralak

Re: Buddha Nageshwara Raja

Post by vitralak » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:42 pm

The Naga's King Buddha is one of the 35 Buddhas of Confession, so just by reciting his name, he already purifies thousands of eons of negative karma. There is more information about Him and the other Buddhas of Confession in Brian Beresford's book that contains comments from several Indian and Tibetan Masters about the Sutra of the Three Heaps and the Vajrasattva Practice called: "The Confession of Downfalls" of the Library of Tibetan Works and Archives.

It is said that having an image of this Buddha at home avoids the danger of diseases caused by the Nagas, being attacked by thieves, lightning strikes, etc.

Finally, you can find more information about this Buddha through Lama Zopa Rinpoche:

https://www.lamayeshe.com/advice/naga-king-retreat

Finally, here I leave a quotations from Lama Zopa Rinpoche talking about the benefits of this Buddha from his book about a Vajrasattva retreat:

“The benefits of the Naga King's mantra

I would also like to give the oral transmission of another mantra, that of the Naga King, one of the Thirty-five Buddhas. Reciting the name of the Naga King, De zhin sheg pa lu wang gi gyäl po, [Skt: Naga raja] has many benefits. If you recite it twenty-one times, it has the power to purify even the heavy negative karma that definitely bring their results in this life. Also, you don’t receive harm from nagas and landlords [shi-dag] through diseases such as leprosy, arthritis or cancer. I haven’t heard Tibetan doctors link AIDS to nagas, but they normally explain that cancer is related to harm from nagas. Cancer is called nyen in Tibetan, which indicates that some other being becomes a condition for that sickness. I think that coma is also definitely connected to harm from spirits. I’m not sure exactly which type of being is involved, but in the past, the divinations of high lamas have usually indicated that Medicine Buddha practice should be done for someone in a coma.
Image[/img][/img]
Reciting the name of the Naga King also purifies the negative karma of having broken or degenerated vows of morality. Also, you are protected from receiving harm from lightning, sickness or thieves. It also increases your wealth. If you recite this buddha’s name 100,000 times, you can be healed of leprosy; the negative karma that results in your contracting leprosy will be completely purified.”

Ah, this image belongs to a private thangka of Llodro Rinpoche. I hope I could help you with something.
Attachments
REYNAGAS.png
REYNAGAS.png (668.36 KiB) Viewed 346 times

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:25 pm

Thanks.

I asked the question about this Buddha because I had read Lama Zopa's advice but then couldn't find the sadhana He mentioned on the FPMT website. Searching the TBRC, there are several sadhanas for this Buddha but, unfortunately, I can't read the u-med script.

thanks also for the heads up about the benefits of keeping an image of this Buddha.

jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:31 pm

pemachophel wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:12 pm
Has anyone received a practice for Buddha/Tathagata Nageshwara Raja (sangs rgyas klu dbang gi rgyal po)? If there's any information that can be shared, I'd appreciate it.
There's some limited info availableon the Himalayan Art site about a few practices and deity configurations. This woodcut print (the middle in a set of three featuring four companion bodhisattvas) features a short mantra also. I can also get you the brief outline of the sadhana and deity generation section from the Rinjung Lhantab later this week.

vitralak

Post by vitralak » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:02 am

Hi Pema Chopel, I am sorry to say that until not long ago there was a major mistake in the sadhana of the FPMT, which I do not want to reveal for those who have not received the initiation of this Buddha. I do not know if they will have corrected it, but it is something that they should review. Anyway, the sadhanas of the FPMT are very good, but the translation of this particular sadhana of which we speak is very old.

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:37 am

jmlee,

Thanks, but I've already seen the material at Himalayan Art. That was the first site Google took me to.

ratna

Post by ratna » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:00 am

I haven't received the practice, but its empowerment and sadhana are contained in the sgrub thabs kun btus, vol. 5: https://www.tbrc.org/#!rid=W23681

R
Don't touch me while I'm tantric.

crazy-man

Post by crazy-man » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:42 pm

Nagaraja Buddha
http://www.fodian.net/world/nagaraja_bu ... uddha.html
https://pbase.com/potala/image/58971476
Kangyur
Your query returned 7 texts.
prajñāpāramitā / shes phyin
nandopananda-nāgarāja-damana-sūtra