sang without transmission

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
pemachophel

Re: sang without transmission

Post by pemachophel » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:17 pm

Javier,

Your view of the effects of sang are quite limited and erroneous.

Sang is the practice of chod-pa/offering to the Guests of 1) Respect and 2) Qualities, i.e., 1) the Buddhas, Bodhisatvas, Yidams, Dakinis, and 2) Dharma Protectors and Guardians. Therefore, it results in the accumulation of vast quantities of merit (sonam kyi tshog) in order to attain the Rupakayas. It is also the practice of jin-pa/charity to 3) the Guests of Compassion (the six families of sentient beings) and 4) the Guests of Karmic Debt (the eight classes of spirits). Thus, as the practice of the paramita of jin-pa/dana/charity, it accumulates vast amounts of merit that way as well. In the process, it also relieves the suffering of sentient beings and makes them happy. For a Bodhisatva, very important activities. Finally, if practicing a Dzogchen sangchod such as Riwo Sangchod, one understands that the three spheres are inherently empty. Thus one also accumulates wisdom (yeshe kyi tshog) which results in the attainment of the Dharmakaya.

So if you think that sang is only for purifying the environment and appeasing Sa-dags and astrological spirits, you are mistaken.

Here's the entrustment section of Ri-wo Sang-chod. Other than the last couple of stanzas, it's all Dzogchen:

Within the immeasurable mansion – the outer inanimate universe as the purity of the three Kayas –
Dharmakaya, Samboghakaya, and Nirmanakaya, are the forms and skandas of apparent existence,
Melting into amrit and filling space with rainbow light.
Samsara and nirvana are the vital distillation of inexhaustible nectar,

Dedicated from beginninglessness up to now
To all those throughout apparent existence who come as guests.
May they bring to consummation the positive qualities of the paths, levels, and fruitions.
May all obstacles to view, meditation, and action be dispelled

Within the spaciousness of the superb and all-noble mind of Samantrabhadra,
May we gain eternal being in the Youthful Vase Body.
Once the vast ocean of samsara is emptied,
May we awaken as Buddhas in Lower-than-None Lotus Light.

The burnt offerings of the skandas and elements blaze vividly and radiantly.
The burnt offerings of white and red Bodhicitta blaze as the union of bliss and emptiness.
The burnt offerings of emptiness and compassion fill the Dharmadhatu
Within the ground of apparent existence – samsara and nirvana – as the five vajra radiances.

I present the burnt offerings of the spontaneous presence of perfect and complete Buddhahood.
Let all prior karmic debts be cleared.
I admit those of the present so that they will not continue to influence my mind-stream.
May the cycle of contamination not continue into the future.

I admit and lay aside all impairments, conscious or otherwise,
Of the various kinds of Pratimoksha vows, Bodhisatva’s trainings,
And samayas of the Vidyadharas of the Secret Mantrayana.
Let illness, evil spirits, contamination, and impurity be purified.

May the ages of plague, famine, and warfare be pacified.
May the border people who invade the central region be repelled. [clap]
May the obstacles preventing the return of Gurus who propagate the Dharma be repelled. [clap]
May all bad omens that bode ill for the land of Tibet be repelled. [clap]

May the Rahulas, Nagas, and Gyalpos who rob us of life-force and life-breath be repelled. [clap]
May the eight and 16 kinds of great fears be repelled. [clap]
May all that is inauspicious for me and those around me be repelled. [clap]
May the force and strength and power of the Dam-si and Gongpo [spirits] be repelled. [clap 3x

Finally, H.H. Dudjom Rinpoche, Jigdral Yeshe Dorje, the regent of Guru Rinpoche in our time, did Ri-wo Sang-chod every day. I hardly think such a sublime Realized being would have placed such importance in this practice if He didn't think it leads to Enlightenment. Perhaps some day you will have the opportunity to meet Sangyum Kamala, Chatral Rinpoche's Consort and the Daughter of Terton Trulzhuk Lingpa. Dudjom Rinpoche was Her Root Guru. She likewise does sang every day, and it the main teaching She gives all around the world. As they say, "I'll have whatever She's having."
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

heart

Post by heart » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:41 pm

Thank you Lama Pecho for that inspiring post.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:46 pm

:namaste: word.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

Sherab Rigdrol

Post by Sherab Rigdrol » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:23 pm

pemachophel wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:51 pm
"Sang offering is an aborigen thing, a tibetan practice, and afaik it doesn't have roots in buddhadharma."

This is one opinion. However, not all Lamas agree with this. Two years ago, Tulku Sang-ngag gave a very masterful rebuttal to this opinion. "Naga Amendment of Breaches" includes sang and is a sutra clearly and umabiguously incorporating the words of the Buddha.
Lama Pema, when was this and what did he say?

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:13 pm

Sherab,

It was at Gochen Tulku Sang-ngag's center in Santa Fe, Orgyen Khandro Ling. It was maybe three years ago, maybe in the fall. It was during a weekend where Rinpoche just taught Ri-wo Sang-chod. At the beginning of this weekend, Rinpoche spent a couple-several hours (took long because of translation) just arguing against the notion that sang was a purely Tibetan practice. Rinpoche clearly felt very strongly about this. He had carefully written out what He had to say. Clearly it was an essay which, at the time, I assumed was for publication somewhere. I don't think the class was recorded. However, his translator, Luke Hanley, may have been subsequently tasked with translating Rinpoche's written essay. That's where I'd go to find out Rinpoche's exact argument and citations. Sorry to say, I don't remember Rinpoche's full line of reasoning. At the time, I assumed it was a direct rebuttal of ChNNR's opinion about sang. It seemed like that to me.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

Sherab Rigdrol

Post by Sherab Rigdrol » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:40 pm

Thanks Lama Pema. I'll ask Luke if he's translated it. Would love to read it. Also, it's Pema Khandro Ling :)

SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:39 am

For anyone who’s interested...

I spoke with a teacher of mine last night, who is gelukpa and nyingma. He said no need to practice Sang with a text. He also gave me a precious pill to grind up and put in the sang, as an offering of immense spiritual wealth. I was to tell the guest, “This is everything I have. And it’s all for you!” (And to really feel it and believe it because these beings can read your mind 😂)

He said I can speak directly to the guests in English, to tell them I am doing this practice for them so not to worry... that no harm is meant and only friendship. He said making a bond is very important...

When feeding a dog, there’s more involved then throwing food at it and walking away. You pet it, take care of it and become friends. Then you feed the dog and let it know you’re not going to kick it or throw rocks at it.

Anyway, he said a text is not necessary. The most important thing is personal feeling. He also said any prayers that express goodness and bodhicitta and will benefit these beings can be said.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:58 am

Ok, moved off topic discussion, and I feel like the OP question has been answered, thank you Lama Pema Chopel for the contribution.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”