How to consecrate ritual objects (as a layperson)?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Post Reply
KiwiNFLFan
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:15 am

How to consecrate ritual objects (as a layperson)?

Post by KiwiNFLFan » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:15 am

How does a layperson consecrate ritual objects (eg dorje, bell, butter lamp) if they happen to become desecrated?

The book The Method to Transform a Suffering Life into Happiness mentions that the Mantra of Great Wisdom Bimala Ushnisha can be used to consecrate objects. Would reciting a mala of this mantra suffice?

Also, should we consecrate holy objects (whether with this mantra or another method) before we start to use them?

User avatar
conebeckham
Posts: 5064
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: How to consecrate ritual objects (as a layperson)?

Post by conebeckham » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:12 am

It largely depends on your sadhana. Most full sadhanas will have sections for consecrating bell, vajra, mala, etc.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།


"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

KiwiNFLFan
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:15 am

Re: How to consecrate ritual objects (as a layperson)?

Post by KiwiNFLFan » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:57 am

conebeckham wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:12 am
It largely depends on your sadhana. Most full sadhanas will have sections for consecrating bell, vajra, mala, etc.
I don't have a sadhana. I'm talking about a one-time consecration, either for the first time you use the objects or if they have somehow become defiled/desecrated.

Would the mantra mentioned in the OP suffice?

jmlee369
Posts: 410
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:22 am

Re: How to consecrate ritual objects (as a layperson)?

Post by jmlee369 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:13 am

KiwiNFLFan wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:57 am
conebeckham wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:12 am
It largely depends on your sadhana. Most full sadhanas will have sections for consecrating bell, vajra, mala, etc.
I don't have a sadhana. I'm talking about a one-time consecration, either for the first time you use the objects or if they have somehow become defiled/desecrated.

Would the mantra mentioned in the OP suffice?
Offering objects generally do not require consecration (like offering bowls, butter lamps, etc). Tantric forms of consecration for representations of enlightened body, speech, and mind require a practitioner to have at least completed the approximation retreat for a given deity. There is still much research to be done about the historical development of consecration rituals, and the differences between sutra forms and tantra forms of consecration. Kyabje Zopa Rinpoche's teachings on the Mantra of Great Wisdom Bimala Ushnisha suggests that it is a sutra form of consecration, but with holy objects like stupas and statues, you would still need someone with the expertise to fill the inside, so you may as well have them consecrate it too.

It would be good to have vajra, bell, malas, and other such ritual implements consecrated by your guru, then you would bless them every time you practice a sadhana. You said you don't have a sadhana, but since things like serkyem, vajra, and bell are usually used only after a person has entered a mandala and received initiation, what are you using them for if not tantric practice?

TrimePema
Posts: 366
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:16 am

Re: How to consecrate ritual objects (as a layperson)?

Post by TrimePema » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:03 pm

KiwiNFLFan wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:15 am
How does a layperson consecrate ritual objects (eg dorje, bell, butter lamp) if they happen to become desecrated?

The book The Method to Transform a Suffering Life into Happiness mentions that the Mantra of Great Wisdom Bimala Ushnisha can be used to consecrate objects. Would reciting a mala of this mantra suffice?

Also, should we consecrate holy objects (whether with this mantra or another method) before we start to use them?
Talk with your teacher about it. It's up to them. They might tell you not to consecrate the object because of how you would have to treat it afterwards, or not to use this one or that one...

User avatar
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member
Posts: 1919
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:18 am

Re: How to consecrate ritual objects (as a layperson)?

Post by Könchok Thrinley » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:32 pm

Just a follow up, why should we consecrate those objects? What is the benefit?

As for OP: Jigten Sumgon mentions that a very easy way to consecrate objects as statues etc, is with immessurable love.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.

Fortyeightvows
Posts: 2563
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:37 am

Re: How to consecrate ritual objects (as a layperson)?

Post by Fortyeightvows » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:21 pm

I thinks it’s a lot like Trimepema said, the act of consecration changes the way one relates to the object.

If we went with sacred and profane, the object now exists outside of ordinary time- it has mana at least to the practitioner themselves. The object then serves as another way to help the practitioner enter the sacred space.

There would also be the psychological effect. If we do a ritual with a consecrated object, we may have more confidence. Similar to an amulet that a person might wear before they undertake some difficult task, it can make them feel more confident about it.

Fortyeightvows
Posts: 2563
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:37 am

Re: How to consecrate ritual objects (as a layperson)?

Post by Fortyeightvows » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:36 pm

The other thing, for ritual objects. We can say that once they are consecrated they have more power.
Just like they say if you walk around the stupa it has this and this effect. But walking around a trash can doesn’t have that same effect, right ? So there is something about the object involved that has a lot of bearing on the effects.

User avatar
lelopa
Posts: 570
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:03 pm

Re: How to consecrate ritual objects (as a layperson)?

Post by lelopa » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:57 am

Fortyeightvows wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:36 pm
The other thing, for ritual objects. We can say that once they are consecrated they have more power.
Just like they say if you walk around the stupa it has this and this effect. But walking around a trash can doesn’t have that same effect, right ? So there is something about the object involved that has a lot of bearing on the effects.
when you think the Stupa is a silly tower but the trash-can ist the holy object where Terton Lingpa found the latest
Yidam-sadhana then all changes...

what if the trash-can is consecrated?

it is not buddha's tooth
it is a dog-tooth
हूं हूं हूं
फट् फट् फट्

User avatar
javier.espinoza.t
Posts: 1417
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:29 am
Location: Chile

Re: How to consecrate ritual objects (as a layperson)?

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:08 pm

lelopa wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:57 am
Fortyeightvows wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:36 pm
The other thing, for ritual objects. We can say that once they are consecrated they have more power.
Just like they say if you walk around the stupa it has this and this effect. But walking around a trash can doesn’t have that same effect, right ? So there is something about the object involved that has a lot of bearing on the effects.
when you think the Stupa is a silly tower but the trash-can ist the holy object where Terton Lingpa found the latest
Yidam-sadhana then all changes...

what if the trash-can is consecrated?

it is not buddha's tooth
it is a dog-tooth
imo, th trash-can is also a message itself.

i mean you are right.

Post Reply

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: heart and 92 guests