Pema Chödron steps down

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
TsultimNamdak

Pema Chödron steps down

Post by TsultimNamdak »

Pema Chödron steps down as an acharya.

https://shambhalatimes.org/2020/01/16/l ... a-chodron/
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Re: Pema Chödron steps down

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Good! She can do better.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

TsultimNamdak wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:31 am Pema Chödron steps down as an acharya.

That SMR is returning to Shambhala as an active teacher is also a news flash for me.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:32 am Good! She can do better.
Indeed. Overdue, but courageous all the same.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Dorje Shedrub

Ven. Pema Chodron Steps Down

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

January 16 - 2020 : Ani Pema Chödrön leaves her role as acharya within the Shambhala Community.

"When I read the recent letter from the Sakyong saying that he wished to start teaching again and would do so for all who requested, I was disheartened. I experienced this news as such a disconnect from all that’s occurred in the last year and half. It feels unkind, unskillful and unwise for the Sakyong to just go forward as if nothing had happened without relating compassionately to all of those who have been hurt and without doing some deep inner work on himself."

[More] https://shambhalatimes.org/2020/01/16/l ... a-chodron/
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

smcj wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:59 am
TsultimNamdak wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:31 am Pema Chödron steps down as an acharya.

That SMR is returning to Shambhala as an active teacher is also a news flash for me.
Me too. Not exactly surprising, though. Note the way that he's invited back - it's not that he wants to start teaching again, but he can't refuse the sincere requests of the Shambhala organizers; they are aware of the issues, but can't refuse the sincere requests of students who want to receive teachings; etc etc. General lack of responsibility all around. Well done to PC for walking away from that.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

PeterC wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:30 am

Me too. Not exactly surprising, though. Note the way that he's invited back - it's not that he wants to start teaching again, but he can't refuse the sincere requests of the Shambhala organizers; they are aware of the issues, but can't refuse the sincere requests of students who want to receive teachings; etc etc. General lack of responsibility all around. Well done to PC for walking away from that.
”When I read the recent letter from the Sakyong saying that he wished to start teaching again and would do so for all who requested, I was disheartened.”
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:44 am

”When I read the recent letter from the Sakyong saying that he wished to start teaching again and would do so for all who requested, I was disheartened.”
“ I understand that the Board’s decision to invite the Sakyong was based on the compassionate intention to benefit the 125 people who wish to take the abhisheka in order to continue on their path...

I feel that as a community committed to creating an enlightened society, we deserve something better than business as usual.

Hopefully, it’s not too late to reverse this trend. For instance, the Board could be proactive and invite a few small groups of people with differing views to propose ideas for how we can go forward – ways that include everyone in the community and that provide accountability for all that has happened. If the Board could then make it their priority for 2020 to start to implement some of these plans … that, in my opinion, would be very wise.”

She’s not exactly beating about the bush on this
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

PeterC wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:12 am
Malcolm wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:44 am

“ I understand that the Board’s decision to invite the Sakyong was based on the compassionate intention to benefit the 125 people who wish to take the abhisheka in order to continue on their path...

I feel that as a community committed to creating an enlightened society, we deserve something better than business as usual.

Hopefully, it’s not too late to reverse this trend. For instance, the Board could be proactive and invite a few small groups of people with differing views to propose ideas for how we can go forward – ways that include everyone in the community and that provide accountability for all that has happened. If the Board could then make it their priority for 2020 to start to implement some of these plans … that, in my opinion, would be very wise.”

She’s not exactly beating about the bush on this
Right, Mukpo said he wished to start teaching again, the board decided to invite him. This disturbed Pema Chodron so much she quit, much to her credit.
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:46 pm
Right, Mukpo said he wished to start teaching again, the board decided to invite him. This disturbed Pema Chodron so much she quit, much to her credit.
If you don't mind me asking, why do you view this different than the Sogyal debacle? Seems to me they both behaved the same, yet you seem to give Sogyal more leeway. I wonder where you see the distinction.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Arnoud wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:19 pm
Malcolm wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:46 pm
If you don't mind me asking, why do you view this different than the Sogyal debacle? Seems to me they both behaved the same, yet you seem to give Sogyal more leeway. I wonder where you see the distinction.
I guess I have slightly more respect for Sogyal than Mukpo. Not much, but some.
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:29 pm
I guess I have slightly more respect for Sogyal than Mukpo. Not much, but some.
Appreciate the honesty.
Charlie123

Post by Charlie123 »

Again, I think it is good to remember how important Sogyal Rinpoche was in introducing Western people to genuine masters. Go and look at the list of lamas that have taught at Rigpa centers on Rigpa wiki. It is really incredible.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

mandog wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:49 am Again, I think it is good to remember how important Sogyal Rinpoche was in introducing Western people to genuine masters. Go and look at the list of lamas that have taught at Rigpa centers on Rigpa wiki. It is really incredible.
That being true, he was late too the game, and many other people had brought teachers to the west and didn't do all those other things.

But...
In the west, they used to have a statue at the courts of a woman with her eyes covered and was holding a scale. Some people may say that the statue was to show how to examine evidence. But I think the symbolism was supposed to point to some examination of how a person should be fairly judged.
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:22 pm
mandog wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:49 am Again, I think it is good to remember how important Sogyal Rinpoche was in introducing Western people to genuine masters. Go and look at the list of lamas that have taught at Rigpa centers on Rigpa wiki. It is really incredible.
That being true, he was late too the game, and many other people had brought teachers to the west and didn't do all those other things.

But...
In the west, they used to have a statue at the courts of a woman with her eyes covered and was holding a scale. Some people may say that the statue was to show how to examine evidence. But I think the symbolism was supposed to point to some examination of how a person should be fairly judged.

Since the 16th century, Lady Justice has mostly been depicted wearing a blindfold. The blindfold represents impartiality, the ideal that justice should be applied without regard to wealth, power, or other status.
Lost In Transmission
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

lelopa wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:06 am

But...

Since the 16th century, Lady Justice has mostly been depicted wearing a blindfold. The blindfold represents impartiality, the ideal that justice should be applied without regard to wealth, power, or other status.
Sure, the symbolism of the blindfold is easy understand.
But how about the scale?
Does it symbolise examining the evidence to decided guilty or innocent?
Or does it symbolize a punishment should be equal to the crime?
Or does the scale weighing one's good deeds verses ones bad deeds? (like how many good posts a person has made vs how many bad posts a person has made)
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:10 am
lelopa wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:06 am

But...

Sure, the symbolism of the blindfold is easy understand.
But how about the scale?
Does it symbolise examining the evidence to decided guilty or innocent?
Or does it symbolize a punishment should be equal to the crime?
Or does the scale weighing one's good deeds verses ones bad deeds? (like how many good posts a person has made vs how many bad posts a person has made)
The origin is a minor member of the Greco-Roman pantheon. The scales signify the weighing of evidence.
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

Ani Pema Chödrön Retires as Senior Teacher at Shambhala Buddhist Community

The renowned author and respected Dharma teacher Ani Pema Chödrön has retired from her duties as a senior teacher, or acharya, within the Shambhala International Buddhist community. In a letter to Shambhala’s board of directors, which was released publicly on 16 January in line with her wishes, the American Buddhist nun states that her decision to retire is a direct response to plans by Shambhala’s disgraced head and lineage holder Sakyong Mipham to return to teaching this year. Sakyong Mipham announced his decision to “step back from his teaching and administrative responsibilities within Shambhala” in the wake of a series of sexual abuse and misconduct allegations in 2018.

https://www.buddhistdoor.net/news/ani-p ... -shambhala

:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. https://translate.google.com.br/

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

Former Shambhala Member Expected to Enter Plea Agreement After Sexual Assault Charge

https://www.buddhistdoor.net/news/forme ... ult-charge
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. https://translate.google.com.br/

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Lucas Oliveira wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:39 am Former Shambhala Member Expected to Enter Plea Agreement After Sexual Assault Charge

https://www.buddhistdoor.net/news/forme ... ult-charge
The facts of the case as presented in that article are horrible. Let's see what the defendant stipulates to in the plea deal.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”