9 vs 5 prong

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
Seeker12
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 5:54 pm

9 vs 5 prong

Post by Seeker12 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:51 pm

In terms of use in practice, is there a difference between a 9 pronged vajra/bell or a 5 pronged? Or is it basically personal preference?
Better than if there were thousands of meaningless words is one meaningful word that on hearing brings peace.

Better than if there were thousands of meaningless verses is one meaningful verse that on hearing brings peace.

And better than chanting hundreds of meaningless verses is one Dhamma-saying that on hearing brings peace.

pemachophel
Posts: 1600
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:19 pm
Location: Lafayette, CO

Re: 9 vs 5 prong

Post by pemachophel » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:56 pm

Same in use. Five prongs represent the five wisdoms. Nine prongs represent the nine yanas. So nine-pronged is specifically Nyingma. Five-pronged all Vajrayana practitioners, Nyingma and Sarma.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

smcj
Posts: 6947
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 6:13 am

Re: 9 vs 5 prong

Post by smcj » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:20 pm

Thanks. I’d heard that before but from an unreliable source.

I guess by contrast that means I think you’re reliable! :thanks:
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)

User avatar
PeterC
Posts: 1817
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 12:38 pm

Re: 9 vs 5 prong

Post by PeterC » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:58 am

A (reliable) Nyingma lama once told me that if you are getting one, get five prongs, it's the standard; nothing wrong with nine prongs but that in his lineage they tended to be used more by vajra masters in ceremonies. But this was an offhand comment by him and I didn't ask any more detail.

User avatar
Lingpupa
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:13 am

Re: 9 vs 5 prong

Post by Lingpupa » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:35 am

I do know of at least one very Kagyu sadhana where a 9-pronged vajra is one of the specific items on the shrine mandala, and in that case at least clearly has no connection with the 9 yanas. But the point stands: it is kind of specialised, so if you don't know why you need a 9-pronged vajra, you probably don't actually need it at all.
All the best
Alex Wilding
Stupa in the Snow blog at http://chagchen.org/

User avatar
lelopa
Posts: 604
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:03 pm

Re: 9 vs 5 prong

Post by lelopa » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:52 am

Lingpupa wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:35 am
I do know of at least one very Kagyu sadhana where a 9-pronged vajra is one of the specific items on the shrine mandala, and in that case at least clearly has no connection with the 9 yanas. But the point stands: it is kind of specialised, so if you don't know why you need a 9-pronged vajra, you probably don't actually need it at all.
which Sadhana is this?
I've never heard any similar.....
हूं हूं हूं
फट् फट् फट्

User avatar
Lingpupa
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:13 am

Re: 9 vs 5 prong

Post by Lingpupa » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:47 am

lelopa wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:52 am
Lingpupa wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:35 am
I do know of at least one very Kagyu sadhana where a 9-pronged vajra is one of the specific items on the shrine mandala, and in that case at least clearly has no connection with the 9 yanas. But the point stands: it is kind of specialised, so if you don't know why you need a 9-pronged vajra, you probably don't actually need it at all.
which Sadhana is this?
I've never heard any similar.....
I'll check that my memory is not playing tricks on me (it happens) and PM you.
All the best
Alex Wilding
Stupa in the Snow blog at http://chagchen.org/

User avatar
lelopa
Posts: 604
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:03 pm

Re: 9 vs 5 prong

Post by lelopa » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:21 am

Lingpupa wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:47 am
lelopa wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:52 am
Lingpupa wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:35 am
I do know of at least one very Kagyu sadhana where a 9-pronged vajra is one of the specific items on the shrine mandala, and in that case at least clearly has no connection with the 9 yanas. But the point stands: it is kind of specialised, so if you don't know why you need a 9-pronged vajra, you probably don't actually need it at all.
which Sadhana is this?
I've never heard any similar.....
I'll check that my memory is not playing tricks on me (it happens) and PM you.
thank you!
i am really interested.
हूं हूं हूं
फट् फट् फट्

User avatar
Lingpupa
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:13 am

Re: 9 vs 5 prong

Post by Lingpupa » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:39 am

Message sent
All the best
Alex Wilding
Stupa in the Snow blog at http://chagchen.org/

User avatar
lelopa
Posts: 604
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:03 pm

Re: 9 vs 5 prong

Post by lelopa » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:54 am

Lingpupa wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:39 am
Message sent
:thanks:
हूं हूं हूं
फट् फट् फट्

Sennin
Posts: 901
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:19 am

Re: 9 vs 5 prong

Post by Sennin » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:11 pm

Hevajra tantra mentions if you have a 9 pronged vajra under your left ring finger, your kula is Akṣobhya.
Not sure how relevant that is to the op tho...

Post Reply

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: heart, javier.espinoza.t, KathyLauren, Terma and 131 guests