Commentaries on Candrakirti's Madhyamakavatara

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Manjushri

Commentaries on Candrakirti's Madhyamakavatara

Post by Manjushri » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:53 am

Good evening. As of recently, I've become interested in Tibetan Buddhism, a branch of Buddhism of which my curiosity and knowledge grasped very superficially.

After getting into Nagarjuna, the curiosity developed regarding more Madhyamaka related texts, which in turn lead me to Candrakirti. At the moment I'm waiting for the Madhyamakavatara commentary by the Ninth Karmapa Wangchuk Dorje to arrive on my mailbox. I learned that there is also a reputed commentary by Ju Mipham available and I was wondering if it's worth acquiring and studying it as well, or if there are other commentaries on the text that may be fruitful to consider and what the main differences or features are.

Nicholas Weeks

Re: Commentaries on Candrakirti's Madhyamakavatara

Post by Nicholas Weeks » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:34 am

Yes, anything by Ju Mipham is worth studying. There is also a commentary by Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse Rinpoche.
May all seek, find or follow the Path of Buddhas.

Manjushri

Post by Manjushri » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:39 pm

Hi Nicholas, thanks for your reply! What would you say are the main features or characteristics that make Ju Mipham's work also worth giving a look, in your opinion? I'm not familiar with his literary output and only know him by name. Thanks in advance.

Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:06 pm

Manjushri wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:39 pm
Hi Nicholas, thanks for your reply! What would you say are the main features or characteristics that make Ju Mipham's work also worth giving a look, in your opinion? I'm not familiar with his literary output and only know him by name. Thanks in advance.
My opinion is worthless contrasted with this traditional admiration for one inspired by Manjushri Mahasattva!

https://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?tit ... m_Rinpoche
May all seek, find or follow the Path of Buddhas.

Manjushri

Post by Manjushri » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:19 am

It is certainly curious that Mipham felt a strong connection and affinity with Manjushri. As someone who looks up to him as an example, I feel like Mipham's teaching could probably resonate and inspire me. So my friend Nicholas, I am grateful for the link you provided and the information I obtained from it. I will now undoubtedly look into Mipham's sparkling legacy.

rai

Post by rai » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:52 pm

commentary by Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche,

http://siddharthasintent.org/resources/ ... iddle-way/

it's free, just need to request it

Terma

Post by Terma » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:26 pm

https://www.siddharthasintent.org/resou ... 2005-2008/

A multi-year teaching by Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche is available to stream for free on Soundcloud as well.

For what it's worth, I found Mipham's commentary a bit challenging. I actually started reading Mipham's commentary alongside "Feast for the Fortunate", which is a wonderful commentary. Then reading and listening to Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche helped to clarify many of the points from these 2 commentaries. I was doing this more or less "sloka by sloka" or verse by verse and it was quite helpful.

Another project to vast for me to finish though it seems...that one is on the backburner for now. lol.

Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:18 am

Check out http://www.ibastudiesonline.com/Home/Co ... 6ae70ec031

Lecture series on the topic by Khenpo Ngawang Jorden who is the Head of Studies.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi

Manjushri

Post by Manjushri » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:36 am

rai wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:52 pm
commentary by Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche,

http://siddharthasintent.org/resources/ ... iddle-way/

it's free, just need to request it
Hi Rai. Am I correct in assuming that this is actually a physical publication being provided? As I don't possess an ebook reader nor am I used to reading epubs or pdfs on a computer screen, this would be a most welcome possibility. In any case I thank you for pointing this out to me.
Terma wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:26 pm
https://www.siddharthasintent.org/resou ... 2005-2008/

A multi-year teaching by Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche is available to stream for free on Soundcloud as well.

For what it's worth, I found Mipham's commentary a bit challenging. I actually started reading Mipham's commentary alongside "Feast for the Fortunate", which is a wonderful commentary. Then reading and listening to Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche helped to clarify many of the points from these 2 commentaries. I was doing this more or less "sloka by sloka" or verse by verse and it was quite helpful.

Another project to vast for me to finish though it seems...that one is on the backburner for now. lol.
Hey Terma, this seems like a good idea. I guess I might end up following your advice and study both Mipham's and Dorje's comentaries simultaneously and take advantage of DKR's as well, to make sure I get the real meaning of Candrakirti, as I'm not familiar with Tibetan Buddhist literature and I may come across some challenges like you. Thanks for the suggestion.

Terma

Post by Terma » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:53 am

Manjushri wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:36 am
Hey Terma, this seems like a good idea. I guess I might end up following your advice and study both Mipham's and Dorje's comentaries simultaneously and take advantage of DKR's as well, to make sure I get the real meaning of Candrakirti, as I'm not familiar with Tibetan Buddhist literature and I may come across some challenges like you. Thanks for the suggestion.
Hello Manjushri,

First of all, the commentary by DJKR is a very readable transcript of a similar multi-year teaching. It is sent as a PDF file. Some years ago I actually got it printed so that I had a physical copy, but it is about as thick as a phone book! That being said, I am okay with PDFs and ebooks.

The audio is great, although I can't remember if the root verses are ready in English so it would be helpful to at least have the text in hand for reference. While I do love the scholarly work of these sublime beings, I find DJKR's teachings so helpful as it is something taught for our generation and with a little more tangible and useful explanation.

All in all, whichever way you decide to study, MMK is a wonderful text that I always seem to come back to from time to time.

Good luck!

Manjushri

Post by Manjushri » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:18 am

Thanks for the clarification, Terma. I was confused about the reason why they ask us our street address when requesting it. At the same time, during my studies in the UK, I had been offered for free on the streets both Korans and Hindu scriptures on book format, hence why I wouldn't be surprised to see Buddhist publishers do the same.

In any case, I'll check the audio for sure and will probably print out the PDF too, as I regularly write notes on complex passages and underline particularly important sentences.

Cheers, once again!

Terma

Post by Terma » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:27 pm

I think the reason that DJKR asks that we request the texts, is because anytime we request teachings we accumulate merit. In fact, some teachers will only teach or give initiations when they are requested to do so.

So I think it is a bit of skillful means.

Good luck in your studies if this very vast text.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”