Why?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
javier.espinoza.t

Re: Why?

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:09 pm

PeterC wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:54 am
We don't know the counterfactual: what would have happened if they *hadn't* done those practices?

In any case, the Dharma survived and was propagated.
yes, but the cost is so high... oh horrible, most horrible.

quad

Post by quad » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:20 am

Maybe none of these things actually work?

Ever seen someone try to cure their cancer with Medicine Buddha mantras? The sutra says it should work. So why doesn't it?

I started a thread awhile ago asking this very question, wondering why Medicine Buddha practice would not heal me of my disease (nor any of other many people I've seen practice it). I received no satisfactory answer.

PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:28 am

Sunrise wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:15 pm
Viach wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:12 am
Why did numerous stupas, prayer wheels, mantras and prayers, the protectors of the Dharma, etc. not help Tibet to avoid occupation by China?
There are so many factors that condition a thing into being. Only Buddha can see all the intricate workings of karma. Instead of the occupation destroying the Dharma and breaking the spirit of the Tibetan people, the Dharma has spread all over the world and there are so many examples of people keeping compassion in the worst situations. That's some kind of miracle, don't you think?
Also, who can say those things didn’t help? Tibet could easily have been hit much worse. Total erasure. It all has to do with perspective.
Profile Picture: "The Fo Ming (Buddha Bright) Monk"
People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.

smcj

Post by smcj » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:03 am

quad wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:20 am

Ever seen someone try to cure their cancer with Medicine Buddha mantras? The sutra says it should work. So why doesn't it?

I started a thread awhile ago asking this very question, wondering why Medicine Buddha practice would not heal me of my disease (nor any of other many people I've seen practice it). I received no satisfactory answer.
I would not forego western medicine, and I’m a fairly hardcore “true believer”. Non medical things have a better success rate—depending on who’s doing the prayer.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)

heart

Post by heart » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:54 pm

quad wrote:

It works, but not the way you think. You have to practice with the motivation to cure everyone else's sickness. When people around you that are sick start getting better then it is working. It is the whole idea in Mahayana, if you practice just for yourself it will never work.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

heart

Post by heart » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:55 pm

Viach wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:12 am
Why did numerous stupas, prayer wheels, mantras and prayers, the protectors of the Dharma, etc. not help Tibet to avoid occupation by China?
Because impermanence is unstoppable. Even the the Buddha died.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:16 pm

quad wrote:

Because the true cure that comes from doing the Medicine Buddha practice, is at the ultimate level (Buddhahood). Once you realise that, then you will be able to cure the illness and suffering (relative and ultimate) of all beings (including yourself).

If you want results at the relative level, then it might be better for you to assist others to gain their health, while also doing the Medicine Buddha sadhana (for example: volunteering at a health service). Also you may want to look at the Medicine Buddha Sutra in order to see what material supports need to be prepared for the practice, if you are serious about healing yourself at the relative level.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

haha

Post by haha » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:41 pm

quad wrote:

Medicine Buddha mantras may work by the aspiration of that Buddha. Or one may realize the truth of Medicine Buddha and can heal all diseases, etc. I liked this (above) expression:
@ Grigoris
Because the true cure that comes from doing the Medicine Buddha practice, is at the ultimate level (Buddhahood). Once you realise that, then you will be able to cure the illness and suffering (relative and ultimate) of all beings (including yourself).
There are several testimonies you may find who had heal their cancer by certain form of chi gong practices (i.e. manipulation of chi). Such practices would work on different cases, too. It is good to know how they had visualized and how many hours they had done practice; how many months or years. No need devotion but need dedication. But, I could not provide the reference of those texts. I can guess of few forms of the chi gong practices but it is hard to remember where I have read.

There are some videos (about particular form of chi gong) where it has shown some cases of instant healing by Chinese doctors. And it is better not to be unrealistic, either. (i.e. need to keep foot on the ground).

Healing Bladder Cancer Entire Footage

Healing Rectal Cancer Entire Footage

SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:53 am

Some say that after over a thousand years of guarding the teachings, times have changed and they needed to become open to the rest of the world. Some of the people who say this say it was Tibetans' punishment for keeping them so secret. Others say it just needed to happen, and it took a chinese invasion to do it.

tingdzin

Post by tingdzin » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:03 am

A lot of Monday-morning quarterbacking going on here.

By the way, Tibet at the peak of it's empire had most of the characteristics of other contemporaneous empires. Even after the empire fell, Tibetan was used as the lingua franca of Inner Asia for quite a while. The view that they were just plundering raiders comes from a stereotypical and unfounded view of Inner Asian people as "barbarians", and goes hand-in-hand with the view that anything worthwhile in Tibetan Buddhism came from India.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”