Vajrasattva

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
cjdevries

Vajrasattva

Post by cjdevries » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:17 pm

Reciting Vajrasattva mantra is a very effective way to purify, but I wanted to ask about prostrating to Vajrasattva. Is that also a efficacious way to purify?
"Without the mud, there is no lotus possible" -Thich Nhat Hanh
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Jangchup Donden

Re: Vajrasattva

Post by Jangchup Donden » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:00 pm

cjdevries wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:17 pm
Reciting Vajrasattva mantra is a very effective way to purify, but I wanted to ask about prostrating to Vajrasattva. Is that also a efficacious way to purify?
Why not both? :)

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:08 pm

When I did a three-month retreat many years ago, I did several hundred short prostrations every day with the 100-syllable mantra. I found it extremely helpful, extremely purifying. Not only did it reduce me to a puddle of sweat every day (it was summer in the Catskills), it typically reduced me to a puddle of tears.

If you ask if you should do this, I'd say "absolutely!"
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

cjdevries

Post by cjdevries » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:35 pm

Thank you sincerely Jangchup and pema for the responses. I think I will continue to do both, however I can't recite very much mantra due to illness which is the main reason I asked the question. I'm looking to do something as an alternative to mantra recitation. I already do 108x prostrations every day, but not specifically to Vajrasattva. I am going to try it.
"Without the mud, there is no lotus possible" -Thich Nhat Hanh
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:07 am

Diamond recitation is a useful alternative to vocal recitation.
With a heart wandering in ignorance down this path and that, to guide me I simply say Namu-Amida-Butsu. -- Ippen

Reciting the nembutsu and believing in birth in the Pure Land naturally give rise to the Three Minds and the Four Modes of Practice. -- Master Hōnen

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:26 am

cjdevries wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:17 pm
people do postration to buddha, vajrasattva is a buddha.

postrations purify pride and arrogance.

kausalya

Post by kausalya » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:54 am

My guru does 1 long mantra for every 2 prostrations.

If you are frustrated by lack of progress, there are creative ways to add visualizations for the full purifying effect to ripen sooner.

I'm in retreat on Vajrasattva now, and I would say, don't get carried away thinking it's not enough. The job of the Buddhas is to surprise you.
"For as long as space remains,
For as long as sentient beings remain,
Until then may I too remain
To dispel the miseries of the world."
(Shantideva)

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”