Phowa

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
cjdevries

Phowa

Post by cjdevries » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:20 am

Is it ever appropriate to request two lamas to do phowa for a dying person? Or is that just too much? For example, if one phowa wasn't successful, the person could have another chance maybe?
"Without the mud, there is no lotus possible" -Thich Nhat Hanh
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

mandog

Re: Phowa

Post by mandog » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:27 am

cjdevries wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:20 am
Is it ever appropriate to request two lamas to do phowa for a dying person? Or is that just too much? For example, if one phowa wasn't successful, the person could have another chance maybe?
Sure, but not every lama will actually have the capacity to transfer someone else's consciousness to a pureland. It really requires a sort of siddha to do this.

That isn't to say that phowa done by an ordinary person won't benefit the dying person. It will.

Danny

Post by Danny » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:45 am

cjdevries wrote:
Is it ever appropriate to request two lamas
Timing is everything. Phowa has to done at just the right time when the outer and inner signs are observered. Interesting question as to if two lamas can perform at same time. Never considered that. I would guess no.

Regards

Danny

Post by Danny » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:55 am

There are of course group rituals that go for 40ish days if outer signs, rainbows, weather, etc are not observed, these indicate the loka or signs of rebirth realm of the deceased, as to if the transfer has been successful. Sorry but is a broad strokes answer.

Regards.

Danny

Post by Danny » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:13 am

What I'm saying is there's two approaches, the dying individual can do their own phowa at the right time, and there's the shitro liberations for the 40 days in the bardo that can be done in groups for the deceased.

regards.

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:15 am

cjdevries wrote:
it would be good you ask the same question to them also :P, don't be shy!

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:39 pm

If the person is not a practitioner, or they do not have faith in the practice, Buddhism in general or the lama, then chances are it won't work.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

cjdevries

Post by cjdevries » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:58 pm

If anyone is interested, there are death rituals that Maha Siddha Nyinmapa Center performs. http://mahasiddha.org/prayers/index.php.

Death rituals performed by Rinpoche*
90_08 Death rituals performed by 8 monks*
90_15 Death rituals performed by 15 monks*
90_25 Death rituals performed by 25 monks*
*Death Rituals include: Purification of the Seeds for Rebirth in the 6 Realms; accumulation of merit; instructing the consciousness of the departed; transference of consciousness to the Pure Land
"Without the mud, there is no lotus possible" -Thich Nhat Hanh
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”