Question on role of samaya in multiple empowerments

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
tsultrimtarchin

Question on role of samaya in multiple empowerments

Post by tsultrimtarchin » Thu May 14, 2020 3:25 pm

Hello everybody!

Thank you so much to anyone who can help me with this question. This is a powerful doubt monster that has really been distracting me today.

Some history - Last year I took refuge with a lama and later did an Amithaba empowerment. There were very few requirements, but one was to try to recite the mantra, if nothing else, every day. I was in a pretty rough state during the time, and was mostly driven to do the practice through fear. As I came out of that state, I dropped the practice, as I associated it so strongly with my emotional state at that time.

Over the past few months, I have had the good fortune to connect with Green Tara practice, receive empowerment, and now do the Green Tara Sadhana practice I was taught everyday - with joyful enthusiasm! I received this from a different lama. Along with this, I practice vajra recitation as I was taught and objectless shamatha/nature of mind practice.

Today this doubt monster reared it's head while I was practicing my Green Tara sadhana - that I should be also fulfilling my requirement to do Amithaba. By taking refuge in Green Tara and practicing her Sadhana, as understand it, I am taking refuge in all the Buddhas and walking the path. But am I doing something wrong by not doing Amithaba as well? By approaching Green Tara with joyful enthusiasm, generating boddhicita, and attempting to understand her and my practice from the absolute view, I hope this is enough. My practice of Amithaba was a little tainted by my mind state at the time and I'm a little afraid to bring it into my daily practice again. Any suggestions or thoughts here are welcome!

Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Question on role of samaya in multiple empowerments

Post by Ayu » Thu May 14, 2020 4:31 pm

I had a similar question to my Tibetan teacher. He said, all Buddha's are the same. There is no competition amongst them. And he recommended to practice only one diety a day. (But that's difficult for me.)

Maybe you should also try to ask the teacher who gave the initiation. Or ask any senior fellow student from that teacher.

But the good news is that there is no need for bad conscience if you practice at all.
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Thu May 14, 2020 4:35 pm

tsultrimtarchin wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 3:25 pm
Hello everybody!

Thank you so much to anyone who can help me with this question. This is a powerful doubt monster that has really been distracting me today.

Some history - Last year I took refuge with a lama and later did an Amithaba empowerment. There were very few requirements, but one was to try to recite the mantra, if nothing else, every day. I was in a pretty rough state during the time, and was mostly driven to do the practice through fear. As I came out of that state, I dropped the practice, as I associated it so strongly with my emotional state at that time.

Over the past few months, I have had the good fortune to connect with Green Tara practice, receive empowerment, and now do the Green Tara Sadhana practice I was taught everyday - with joyful enthusiasm! I received this from a different lama. Along with this, I practice vajra recitation as I was taught and objectless shamatha/nature of mind practice.

Today this doubt monster reared it's head while I was practicing my Green Tara sadhana - that I should be also fulfilling my requirement to do Amithaba. By taking refuge in Green Tara and practicing her Sadhana, as understand it, I am taking refuge in all the Buddhas and walking the path. But am I doing something wrong by not doing Amithaba as well? By approaching Green Tara with joyful enthusiasm, generating boddhicita, and attempting to understand her and my practice from the absolute view, I hope this is enough. My practice of Amithaba was a little tainted by my mind state at the time and I'm a little afraid to bring it into my daily practice again. Any suggestions or thoughts here are welcome!
When reciting one mantra, one is reciting all mantras. One should have this confidence.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Thu May 14, 2020 5:49 pm

tsultrimtarchin wrote:
Hello everybody!

Tara originates from the tears of Avalokitesvara/Chenreszig, who is Amitabha's spiritual son and heir.

So there is a direct connection between the practices.

Amitabha is not the jealous type anyway. :smile:

Tara practice is awesome! I love the Praise to the 21 Tara.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

heart

Post by heart » Thu May 14, 2020 5:49 pm

tsultrimtarchin wrote:
Hello everybody!

Tara belongs to the family of Amithaba, so they are the same.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Thu May 14, 2020 7:01 pm

all deities might have different appeareance, but are of the same nature. some pople practice appeareance, and some people practice nature. you have a choice.

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Fri May 15, 2020 3:38 am

Agree with the comments above that in general upholding the practice of one deity upholds all. However it is still good to keep specific practice commitments to the best of your ability, not least because it removes this sort of doubt. Is there an extremely simple form of the Amithaba practice that you can do? Visualize, recite the mantra a couple of times, dedicate merit? If there's a way to uphold the practice using a couple of minutes a day, could you do that?

tsultrimtarchin

Post by tsultrimtarchin » Mon May 18, 2020 7:35 pm

Thanks so much for all feedback and advice here everyone, I really appreciate it. I felt through my practice and study that by practicing Tara I was practicing all deities (the same nature, as many of you noted!), but my conceptual doubt monster overpowered me. Thank you so much for helping me eliminate that doubt monster and continue joyfully with my practice.

I agree Grigoris, Tara practice is so wonderful. Something about the practice connected with me on a very primordial level. Actually, even the first time I saw an image of Tara, before I knew anything about her or the practice, I felt a strong connection with her.

Much metta to each and every one of you!

Varis

Post by Varis » Wed May 20, 2020 1:32 pm

A master (Atisha?) once said that Tibetans problem was that they were practicing too many Yidams at once, where as Indians stuck to one Yidam their whole lives.

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel » Wed May 20, 2020 3:46 pm

"Agree with the comments above that in general upholding the practice of one deity upholds all. However it is still good to keep specific practice commitments to the best of your ability, not least because it removes this sort of doubt. Is there an extremely simple form of the Amithaba practice that you can do? Visualize, recite the mantra a couple of times, dedicate merit? If there's a way to uphold the practice using a couple of minutes a day, could you do that?"

:good:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

tobes

Post by tobes » Thu May 21, 2020 4:15 am

pemachophel wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:46 pm
"Agree with the comments above that in general upholding the practice of one deity upholds all. However it is still good to keep specific practice commitments to the best of your ability, not least because it removes this sort of doubt. Is there an extremely simple form of the Amithaba practice that you can do? Visualize, recite the mantra a couple of times, dedicate merit? If there's a way to uphold the practice using a couple of minutes a day, could you do that?"

:good:
Given that 'Amithaba is in her (i.e.Tara's) hair knot' you could easy incorporate Amithaba into your Tara practice.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”