Elemental Colors

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Post Reply
dakini_boi
Posts: 683
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:02 am

Elemental Colors

Post by dakini_boi » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:38 am

I've noticed that some sources correlate blue with water and white with space - while others reverse these. I can deal with inconsistencies between different schools or lineages, but I'm wondering - does anyone know the origin of this disparity? Like, which lineages or practices use this or that system, which came first, etc?

User avatar
heart
Posts: 3970
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Elemental Colors

Post by heart » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:19 am

dakini_boi wrote:I've noticed that some sources correlate blue with water and white with space - while others reverse these. I can deal with inconsistencies between different schools or lineages, but I'm wondering - does anyone know the origin of this disparity? Like, which lineages or practices use this or that system, which came first, etc?
Even within the Nyingma tradition, from terma to terma it can be different. It used to bother me to.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Heruka
Posts: 1069
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:34 am
Contact:

Re: Elemental Colors

Post by Heruka » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:28 am

tantric teachings present in ways that appear at odds and different, but really no, each variation is for different experience, if it is transmitted this way, you practice that way, try not to compare and contrast.

that is my simple understanding.

nothing more than that.

dakini_boi
Posts: 683
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:02 am

Re: Elemental Colors

Post by dakini_boi » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:53 pm

Thank you. Yes, I understand that different systems exist side by side, and that's fine. My question wasn't about comparing systems, or about the rationale behind the difference - my question was about which systems, termas, lineages, etc, use which elemental color schemes - so I can understand the broader context better.

User avatar
heart
Posts: 3970
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Elemental Colors

Post by heart » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:58 pm

dakini_boi wrote:Thank you. Yes, I understand that different systems exist side by side, and that's fine. My question wasn't about comparing systems, or about the rationale behind the difference - my question was about which systems, termas, lineages, etc, use which elemental color schemes - so I can understand the broader context better.
There is no scheme it changes from teaching to teaching and so there is no broader context to grasp. To the best of my knowledge there is no rationale between the differences in various cycles.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

dakini_boi
Posts: 683
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:02 am

Re: Elemental Colors

Post by dakini_boi » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:12 pm

heart wrote:
dakini_boi wrote:Thank you. Yes, I understand that different systems exist side by side, and that's fine. My question wasn't about comparing systems, or about the rationale behind the difference - my question was about which systems, termas, lineages, etc, use which elemental color schemes - so I can understand the broader context better.
There is no scheme it changes from teaching to teaching and so there is no broader context to grasp. To the best of my knowledge there is no rationale between the differences in various cycles.

/magnus
Do you know which termas use which? And if there's any consistency among terma of particular tertons?

User avatar
heart
Posts: 3970
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Elemental Colors

Post by heart » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:47 pm

dakini_boi wrote:
heart wrote:
dakini_boi wrote:Thank you. Yes, I understand that different systems exist side by side, and that's fine. My question wasn't about comparing systems, or about the rationale behind the difference - my question was about which systems, termas, lineages, etc, use which elemental color schemes - so I can understand the broader context better.
There is no scheme it changes from teaching to teaching and so there is no broader context to grasp. To the best of my knowledge there is no rationale between the differences in various cycles.

/magnus
Do you know which termas use which? And if there's any consistency among terma of particular tertons?
No, I haven't noticed any consistency even among the termas of the same Terton but my knowledge is a bit limited, I mainly do Chokling Tersar.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jkarlins, makewhisper and 70 guests