Tibetan Doctors, please read

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Pero

Re: Tibetan Doctors, please read

Post by Pero »

Reibeam wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Lhug-Pa wrote:Would Chulen that is taken for the purpose of needing less sleep and having more energy for a retreat, have to be taken according to the instructions that Padma Norbu posted in the original post?

Or could these said Chudlen be taken the same way as say Bimala or Semde?

Chulen pills have a method of being blessed as in Mandarava practice, so use that.

Are chudlen pills to be chewed or swallowed? are Bimala to only be chewed or does it matter?
Perhaps there are different viewpoints but Norbu Rinpoche said he chews them just as he does medicine.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Pero wrote: Perhaps there are different viewpoints but Norbu Rinpoche said he chews them just as he does medicine.
Chulen can be chewed. In general, most pills should be powdered in a mortar in order to potentiate them.
Alfredo

Post by Alfredo »

Can anybody be a Tibetan Doctor, or is there some kind of exam?

Really, this is fifteen shades of surreal. What if somebody posts messages asking something like "I urinated blood today, does that mean anything?" Are you going to diagnose that over the internet too?

Personally, I practice Traditional Tennessee Medicine. (It comes in bottles.)
(no longer participating on this board)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Alfredo wrote:Can anybody be a Tibetan Doctor, or is there some kind of exam?
There is a rigorous course of training that lasts about five years, and exams that are hair-raisingly difficult, plus an internship in Tibet.
What if somebody posts messages asking something like "I urinated blood today, does that mean anything?"
If someone posted "I urinated blood" I would tell them to go to an emergency room. And yes, it does mean something, it means that they are probably passing a kidney stone. It could mean other things as well. It depends.

And no, I do not offer diagnoses based on posts in forums.
TocharianB

Post by TocharianB »

Alfredo wrote:Can anybody be a Tibetan Doctor, or is there some kind of exam?

Really, this is fifteen shades of surreal. What if somebody posts messages asking something like "I urinated blood today, does that mean anything?" Are you going to diagnose that over the internet too?

Personally, I practice Traditional Tennessee Medicine. (It comes in bottles.)
I think you're trying to be funny, but this comes across as very disrespectful. The questions asked in this thread are equivalent to someone asking a person trained in the Western medical tradition whether it's necessary to take a certain antibiotic before eating or after or whether sudafed and ibuprofen are contraindicated.
Reibeam
Location: On the Western continent In the mountains close to space

Post by Reibeam »

Reibeam wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Lhug-Pa wrote:Would Chulen that is taken for the purpose of needing less sleep and having more energy for a retreat, have to be taken according to the instructions that Padma Norbu posted in the original post?

Or could these said Chudlen be taken the same way as say Bimala or Semde?

Chulen pills have a method of being blessed as in Mandarava practice, so use that.

Are chudlen pills to be chewed or swallowed? are Bimala to only be chewed or does it matter?
A few other related questions:

I'm trying to the learn the long Mandarava practice.....can that be practiced without taking the chudlen pills? I have transmission for the chudlen that is used with the amitayus practice, but I don't think I have the correct transmission to take it with the Mandarava practice as I am guessing they are different.

Also, I do not have a lung or personal instruction for the tsalung or kumbhaka that is used in the Mandarava practice. Is that needed to do the chudlen or is it an additional part that I can apply after receiving instruction which will hopefully be taught in the United States in the near future.

I am just wondering what is the best way to go about learning this practice in a precise way? Rinpoche seems to say to start with the long practice first before doing the simple one so I want to make sure I am approaching it in the right way.

Thanks again for all your help answering my perpetual stream of questions.

R
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Reibeam wrote:
I'm trying to the learn the long Mandarava practice.....can that be practiced without taking the chudlen pills?
Yes.
I have transmission for the chudlen that is used with the amitayus practice, but I don't think I have the correct transmission to take it with the Mandarava practice as I am guessing they are different.
You have permission.
Also, I do not have a lung or personal instruction for the tsalung or kumbhaka that is used in the Mandarava practice. Is that needed to do the chudlen or is it an additional part that I can apply after receiving instruction which will hopefully be taught in the United States in the near future.
It is an additional part for which you need transmission.
I am just wondering what is the best way to go about learning this practice in a precise way? Rinpoche seems to say to start with the long practice first before doing the simple one so I want to make sure I am approaching it in the right way.
In general, you do the essential practice, and slowly try to learn long practice.
Reibeam
Location: On the Western continent In the mountains close to space

Post by Reibeam »

Malcolm wrote:
Reibeam wrote:
I'm trying to the learn the long Mandarava practice.....can that be practiced without taking the chudlen pills?
Yes.
I have transmission for the chudlen that is used with the amitayus practice, but I don't think I have the correct transmission to take it with the Mandarava practice as I am guessing they are different.
You have permission.

It is an additional part for which you need transmission.
In general, you do the essential practice, and slowly try to learn long practice.

Thanks Malcolm,

Last question and i will leave this topic alone.

I have some chudlen from Shang Shung which is for these practices, but If I get some chudlen from Siddhi Energetics (I am interested in this company in general as a source) can that be used with these practices?

I saw an old thread where you said you could use almost anything, but Is there any difference in function between them on a physical level? There seem to be many formulations with different uses.

Many thanks,

R
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Reibeam wrote: I have some chudlen from Shang Shung which is for these practices, but If I get some chudlen from Siddhi Energetics (I am interested in this company in general as a source) can that be used with these practices?

I saw an old thread where you said you could use almost anything, but Is there any difference in function between them on a physical level? There seem to be many formulations with different uses.

As for your first question, yes, they can. As to your second, yes, also this is true, there are chulens for specific ailments. But in a general way it is not necessary to go down that road.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”