Encyclopedia of Bodhisattvas, Dharmapalas, Yidams, etc?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Kalagni

Encyclopedia of Bodhisattvas, Dharmapalas, Yidams, etc?

Post by Kalagni » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:30 am

I'm sorry if this question has been asked/answered before, but I checked the forum and didn't see it.

I was wondering if anyone has any resources, print or online, that is essentially an encyclopedia of the different Bodhisattva, Dharmapalas, Yidams, Saints, etc etc? No book I have mentions more than a handful at a time. I'd just like a resource to turn to when I encounter one I'm unfamiliar with, or just curious about attributes, practices, mythology, etc. I say encyclopedia to refer to depth of information, cause I'd like more than just a list of names, but anything to the right direction would be great, thanks.

~Kalagni
When we first begin all things simply are.
As we grow all things are external.
As we learn all things are internal.
As we understand all things are not.

Malcolm

Re: Encyclopedia of Bodhisattvas, Dharmapalas, Yidams, etc?

Post by Malcolm » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:36 am

Kalagni wrote:I'm sorry if this question has been asked/answered before, but I checked the forum and didn't see it.

I was wondering if anyone has any resources, print or online, that is essentially an encyclopedia of the different Bodhisattva, Dharmapalas, Yidams, Saints, etc etc? No book I have mentions more than a handful at a time. I'd just like a resource to turn to when I encounter one I'm unfamiliar with, or just curious about attributes, practices, mythology, etc. I say encyclopedia to refer to depth of information, cause I'd like more than just a list of names, but anything to the right direction would be great, thanks.

~Kalagni
Oracles and Demons of Tibet, for dharmapalas.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Starglade

Post by Starglade » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:39 am

Kalagni wrote:
The only book I know of that even attempts a portion of this (considering the depth of the cross-culturalism Buddhism's history contains) I've seen fondly referred to as "the little blue book."

http://www.dharmashop.com/products/Nepal-Blue-Book.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kalagni

Post by Kalagni » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:54 pm

Thank you both. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I have both of those texts (well technically Oracles and Demons is in the mail, but I bought it) and while I hadn't heard it called the blue book, when I saw the nickname I was pretty sure, and right.

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:26 pm

There was a book published by an FWBO writer, Vessantara, maybe, that dealt with this--I recall reading it years ago, and it was pretty good, explaining many of the most common deities, etc. though there were a few minor misunderstandings.

It didn't have everything, though....there are so many different traditions of even one deity, for example, with slight differences in iconography, etc., that it's really impossible to give much info about each one. In any case, it's all just "knowledge," and the real usefulness comes with knowing one's own practices to the fullest extent.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Silent Bob

Post by Silent Bob » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:18 pm

You'll find an enormous amount of reliable information at HimalayanArt.org:
http://www.himalayanart.org/pages/browse_subjects.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The curator of the collection, Jeff Watt, is a longtime practitioner in the Sakya tradition.
"All the sublime teachings, so profound--to throw away one and then grab yet another will not bear even a single fruit. Persevere, therefore, in simply one."
--Dudjom Rinpoche, "Nectar for the Hearts of Fortunate Disciples. Song No. 8"

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:22 pm

Ya, Silent Bob nailed it. Great recommendation!
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Kalagni

Post by Kalagni » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:47 pm

Thank you very much Silent Bob, that's an excellent and relevant source. Much appreciated. _/\_

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”