Lama Lobsang Palden

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Patricia Palden

Re: Lama Lobsang Palden

Post by Patricia Palden »

Pero wrote:
gnegirl wrote:
Pero wrote: Well, for one thing there is no mention of his teachers by name. The only one named is the Dalai Lama. And frankly, so many people seem to use his name to promote themselves that I almost automatically disregard it when I see it these days. Then, one of the articles says that he was recognized as the previous abbot of the Tashi Kyil monastery and then groomed for the place. There is no mention of him on Tashi Kyil monastery website that I could find. What is written on Yantra Yoga seems a bit odd to me too. Doesn't seem to look quite like the Yantra Yoga I know.
Of course these things are nothing concrete, but enough to make me a bit suspicious.
His Holiness the Dalai Lama is our guru. My husband, Lama Lobsang Palden, has so much respect, love and devotion for His Holiness, I cannot even find the words to describe it. My children and I also have deep and abiding love, devotion and respect for His Holiness. Lama Lobsang has had several teachings, initiations, and private audiences with His Holiness. To say that he is "using his name to promote himself" is detestable. Think before you write: words can hurt. We are real people, not just images on the internet.
Last edited by Patricia Palden on Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heruka

Post by Heruka »

Pero wrote:
Heruka wrote:
Pero wrote:Ironically, paying for meditation instructions doesn't make me suspicious at all. :rolling:
You know, people used to offer gold for initiations. And now we give money.
i think the point is, if you pay for it and get dissapointed that nothing magical happens, you might turn your back on it.
I guess so, but doesn't it go the same for initiations? And on the other hand, I often hear that in the west people value thing more if they pay for them.
i dont know P, if i had my way it would all be free!

thank you and tashi delek palden la for the information, like i said, it looks like all the bells and whistles are there!

all the best.
Pero

Post by Pero »

Patricia Palden wrote:He has had several teachings, initiations, and private audiences with His Holiness. To say that Lama is "using his name to promote himself" is detestable. Think before you write: words can hurt.
You are overly emotional. I never said that he is using his name to promote himself. I said that many people seem to use his name to promote themselves so I almost automatically disregard it. There is no mention of "teachings, initiations and private audiences" that I could see, only that he met and received blessings from the Dalai Lama.

Also, you (or rather your husband) are a public figure and in a position of importance. You can't expect to put yourself out there and then not be "judged".
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Pero

Post by Pero »

Heruka wrote:i dont know P, if i had my way it would all be free!
:smile:
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

Well I say charge...even more. IN case one has not noticed the peoples invited to private dinners sessions and such in a monastic venue, are most often conspiciously...the benefactors.

If you don't know this or don't know it is happening and has always happened...you are to my opinion either not looking or are not in that environement.
Done in a monastic fashion it may be quite subtle but it is the same....Yes a fee paid, called donation you get extra things...always by my take, I know of no exceptions.

I can virtually guarantee you this person mentioned if someone came to him with pure heart and pure intention the teachings of each and every sort would be given freely. As if one may have occasion to break through the false barrier of benefactor one may obtain such private things from virtually all in Tibetan buddhism, monastic and lay.

So charge...it is up front and honest. Other subtle. I vie for up front and honest. Others may like subtle they may fool themselves it is not that way..it is.
It may be broken through but it is present.
Some things are given freely in both situations, more things are given connected to the thing of money.

No offense to the original poster...to ask this question is viable and necessary.
Last edited by ronnewmexico on Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
Patricia Palden

Pero wrote:
Also, you (or rather your husband) are a public figure and in a position of importance. You can't expect to put yourself out there and then not be "judged".

We are not public figures. We're not celebrities or politicians. We don't have a TV or radio show or a newspaper column. We are a family. Having a website to promote your business does not make you a public figure.
Pero

Post by Pero »

Patricia Palden wrote:
Pero wrote: Also, you (or rather your husband) are a public figure and in a position of importance. You can't expect to put yourself out there and then not be "judged".
We are not public figures. We're not celebrities or politicians. We don't have a TV or radio show or a newspaper column. We are a family. Having a website to promote your business does not make you a public figure.
Actually it does. Anyone can go and say "hey do those people do a good job or not?" and then proceed to have a discussion about it for example. Being a family is irrelevant.
- Shabkar
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Patricia Palden wrote:Six private classes at $125 comes out to less than $21 for a private 1-hour class with a Tibetan tulku—this is reasonable and affordable by any standards. We believe it is as valid to charge for meditation classes as it is to charge for yoga classes. While Buddhist monks do not charge for their services, please be aware that Lama is not a monk.
I think it is great. I wish more lama's would offer those services at that price. Heck, a retreat costs infinitely more and you don't get the personal time.
Patricia Palden

Pero wrote:
Patricia Palden wrote:
Pero wrote: Also, you (or rather your husband) are a public figure and in a position of importance. You can't expect to put yourself out there and then not be "judged".
Actually it does. Anyone can go and say "hey do those people do a good job or not?" and then proceed to have a discussion about it for example. Being a family is irrelevant.
I'm sorry, but I must respectfully disagree with your opinion. What kind of discussion can you have about someone you have never met? Only one based on conjecture. Yelp reviews are one thing: consumers who have had personal experiences with a business post about their experiences. What's different about this, is that no one who is posting here has had any personal experience with Lama Lobsang Palden, yet still they are making speculations, accusations, and judgements about his (and my) character. I invite you to meet him, practice with him, and then post your review.
Pero

Post by Pero »

Patricia Palden wrote: I'm sorry, but I must respectfully disagree with your opinion. What kind of discussion can you have about someone you have never met?
I don't believe I need to meet someone to ask questions about his qualifications (or go and have personal experience of a bussiness to ask if it's legit for that matter). In fact, meeting someone will tell me practically nothing about his qualifications. All I could get out of it is if he looks like a nice person and if he appears to be full of it or not. But being nice and seeming knowledgeable is insufficient.

No one has made any accusations so relax.
- Shabkar
Cindy Starry

Post by Cindy Starry »

Hi all,

I wish to add my experiences in how my spiritual practices has been blessed by Lama . I have known him for over 7 years in his teachings of yoga and meditations.

The exchange value of $125.00 is in total balance of what I received in teachings and continue to receive. I would invite knowledge of another by actual meeting him and communicating on your experience, to be shared in the community with others.

in Great Gratitude,

Cindy
Heruka

Post by Heruka »

ronnewmexico wrote: Well I say charge...even more.

Hi ron,

what if one does not have the capacity to pay?
Heruka

Post by Heruka »

Cindy Starry wrote:Hi all,

I wish to add my experiences in how my spiritual practices has been blessed by Lama . I have known him for over 7 years in his teachings of yoga and meditations.

The exchange value of $125.00 is in total balance of what I received in teachings and continue to receive. I would invite knowledge of another by actual meeting him and communicating on your experience, to be shared in the community with others.

in Great Gratitude,

Cindy

Thanks Cindy.

i think that these types of online questions will always arise, after all there have been "characters" involved in the guru business forever, so people have the natural caution which is healthy thing when students are looking for teachers. Its a natural process, like putting two sharp rocks in a bag and through all the rubbing, they eventually become smooth..

happy you have found the right lama!

:namaste:
Last edited by Heruka on Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gnegirl

Post by gnegirl »

Heruka wrote:

Hi ron,

If one is sincere in the desire to benefit all beings and practise dharma, and expresses this to whomever one is trying to get teachings from, doors may open that appear at first glance, to be closed.
"Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." --Surangama Sutra

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
Heruka

Post by Heruka »

gnegirl wrote:
Heruka wrote:

Hi ron,

If one is sincere in the desire to benefit all beings and practise dharma, and expresses this to whomever one is trying to get teachings from, doors may open that appear at first glance, to be closed.

I would like the money taken out of the equation all together, but thats just my personal expression, nothing more. For instance, look at the Karmapa money scandal that got dragged through the muck. Oh well.

i doubt my wishes will somehow stop the dharma "pay to play".
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

They gotta eat.
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
Heruka

Post by Heruka »

Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote:They gotta eat.
an alms bowl helped for thousand years. No one went without.
mint

Post by mint »

Cindy Starry wrote:Hi all,

in Great Gratitude,

Cindy
Hi Cindy,

Thanks for your comments. There seems to be alot of people signing up to this forum to specifically respond to this thread.

I initially expressed interest in the Lama because I am searching for a guru and impulsively selected Lama Lobsang Palden to be that person though I've never met him, studied with him, or anything. I'm from North Carolina, but I'll be in Chicago for the holidays - so it all seemed rather neat and clean. When I first heard about the charges, I was taken aback because I have never heard of other people paying to learn from a master, but I am new to so much of this. I didn't start this thread so that others could potentially undermine the primary source of income for the Palden household, and I hope this thread doesn't resort to that or even to its opposite. Since trading e-mails with Patricia, I've changed my mind about meeting with Lama Lobsang Palden not because of anything said in this thread but because I've reassesed my dire need for just any guru no matter the credentials. Plus, the $125 seems a bit much when I'm unsure when I could make the 6 necessary trips to visit with the Lama for instruction.
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

Heruka wrote:
Little harsh if there is a fam and you gotta pay taxes. Unlike institutionalized western religion there's no system set up to take care of this kind of situation. Lama charging for services is perfectly fair and reasonable.
Last edited by Karma Dondrup Tashi on Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
gnegirl

Post by gnegirl »

Heruka wrote:
They are not monks.
"Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." --Surangama Sutra

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”