"taking someone else's negative karma"

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: "taking someone else's negative karma"

Post by Grigoris »

Pero wrote:You are assuming that being fired is what would've been the karmic consequence of stealing that item. But there is no way to know that, getting fired could've just as easily been a consequence of something the thief did in his previous life (and perhaps stealing an item was the secondary cause). And the outcome of his action in present life might not happen in his present life but in one of his next ones (and it might not be being fired but being stolen from for example).
I think what you'd do by covering for him is actually just preventing the fruit of his action to manifest at that particular time. But the potential for the fruit of this action to manifest would remain and as soon as the right secondary causes would be present the fruit would manifest. IMO it's something like this. :shrug:
Dude, let's just say that one of the possible consequences (all consequences/outcomes of actions are possible, we know that) of his stealing would have been to get fired and by acting you took on and averted this consequence (even temporarily). Is this not, at a relative and simplistic level, an example of "taking on someone else's negative karma"? That's all I'm asking. I am not saying that your answer is wrong, but it's just not 100% relevant.
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Pero

Post by Pero »

Greg so you want me to shut my eyes and say "oh yes that is taking on negative karma" when I think it isn't? Ok...
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Adumbra

Post by Adumbra »

There was a Greek magus named 'Daskalos' who claimed he could do this, but only in certain cases. However, I don't think he ever explained how it was possible
"The first thing you have to understand is that I don't believe in ANYTHING."
-Arahata Osho
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Sherab wrote:
Namdrol wrote:How about "suffering cannot be removed with the hand..."
No source of the citation was provided.
It is a citation produced in a thousand Tibetan texts. My example was found in a text on Madhyamaka called Moonrays penned by Rongton Shebya Kunrig.

I have tried text searches on the bka' 'gyur and bstan 'gyur to no avail. If it exists there, it does not exist in the common translation one sees in a thousand tibetan books.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Pero wrote:Greg so you want me to shut my eyes and say "oh yes that is taking on negative karma" when I think it isn't? Ok...
Of course I don't want you to do that! I just wanted an answer within the confines of the hypothetical situation. Your answer is no. That's 100% fine by me.
:smile:
I just don't think it was necessary to add all the extra hypotheticals (overly complicate the example) to arrive at your answer. That's all!
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Pero

Post by Pero »

gregkavarnos wrote:
Pero wrote:Greg so you want me to shut my eyes and say "oh yes that is taking on negative karma" when I think it isn't? Ok...
Of course I don't want you to do that! I just wanted an answer within the confines of the hypothetical situation. Your answer is no. That's 100% fine by me.
:smile:
I just don't think it was necessary to add all the extra hypotheticals (overly complicate the example) to arrive at your answer. That's all!
Ohhh... Sorry! :bow:
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”