Teacher & Root Guru

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Pero

Re: Teacher & Root Guru

Post by Pero »

dzogchungpa wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:28 pm EPK's Club Nondualité article is worth reading with regards to this issue. E.g.:
When Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche was once asked to give pointing-out instruction to a group of many thousand people, he simply laughed of the absurdity, because nondual mind needs to be authenticated by the teacher and he knew that he couldn’t check thousands of people. When someone is being told, without being checked, “you have now received the pointing-out introduction,” it’s at best wishful thinking and, at worst, a direct lie.

The process of validation can be short or long, but it requires a competent master who knows you and listens to you while you reply specific questions, not from hearsay or book learning, but from present experience and not from a memory of a peak experience in the past. Then there can be certainty and this certainty can be put to the test next time you get angry, attached, proud, jealous or close-minded. If you are able to step out of that toxic emotion in an instant and stay in nondual mind, then it’s for real.
I find that odd since won't this line of thinking lead to the conclusion that pretty much most teachers (past and present) are at best delusional and at worst liars?
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Pero wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:36 pm
dzogchungpa wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:28 pm EPK's Club Nondualité article is worth reading with regards to this issue. E.g.:
When Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche was once asked to give pointing-out instruction to a group of many thousand people, he simply laughed of the absurdity, because nondual mind needs to be authenticated by the teacher and he knew that he couldn’t check thousands of people. When someone is being told, without being checked, “you have now received the pointing-out introduction,” it’s at best wishful thinking and, at worst, a direct lie.

The process of validation can be short or long, but it requires a competent master who knows you and listens to you while you reply specific questions, not from hearsay or book learning, but from present experience and not from a memory of a peak experience in the past. Then there can be certainty and this certainty can be put to the test next time you get angry, attached, proud, jealous or close-minded. If you are able to step out of that toxic emotion in an instant and stay in nondual mind, then it’s for real.
I find that odd since won't this line of thinking lead to the conclusion that pretty much most teachers (past and present) are at best delusional and at worst liars?
I'm not sure why you have come to that conclusion, Pero.

Frankly, the phenomenon of "mass DI" is a relatively recent development. Until recently, DI was given in small groups, or to individuals.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Pero

Post by Pero »

conebeckham wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:58 pm

Frankly, the phenomenon of "mass DI" is a relatively recent development. Until recently, DI was given in small groups, or to individuals.
Mass empowerments have been given all the time.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Pero

Post by Pero »

Didn't even Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche give direct introduction to a thousand people at once?
- Shabkar
heart

Post by heart »

No, I don't think so. Remember that TUR used to give direct introduction to bigger groups of people. I received both one to one and as a part of hundreds of people and I find both valid.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Pero wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:04 pm Didn't even Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche give direct introduction to a thousand people at once?

Actually, this question, essentially, was raised in the comment thread. EPK's, admittedly somewhat enigmatic, response was: "About pointing-out, different teachers have different approaches."
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
heart

Post by heart »

dzogchungpa wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:13 pm
Pero wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:04 pm Didn't even Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche give direct introduction to a thousand people at once?

Actually, this question, essentially, was raised in the comment thread. EPK's, admittedly somewhat enigmatic, response was: "About pointing-out, different teachers have different approaches."
Actually it makes perfect sense.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

heart wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:24 pm
dzogchungpa wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:13 pm

Actually it makes perfect sense.

/magnus

OK. :smile:
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Pero wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:00 pm
conebeckham wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:58 pm

Mass empowerments have been given all the time.
Yes. And I believe some people "get" the DI, or 4th empowerment, Word Empowerment, etc., whatever you want to call it, at such times. Others may not. If one isn't sure, the only recourse is to ask, right? I mean, Nyoshul Khen was famous for giving a special transmission--he gave it to very few people, one of whom was the current Mingyur Rinpoche. Some teachers limit the number of students who take an empowerment at any given time--some traditions demand this in fact.

All I can really say, in the end, is that you should have confidence if you have "gotten" it--confidence not really contrived. If you do not, then asking and entering into conversation is the only means of clarifying and potentially confirming. There is no way this sort of approach can happen en masse, though, so in the end it boils down to one's own personal experience, even if one confirms with one's teacher.

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

conebeckham wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:51 pmAll I can really say, in the end, is that you should have confidence if you have "gotten" it--confidence not really contrived.
Interestingly, there are teachers who will separate "getting it" from "having 100% confidence about it," you know.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
PSM

Post by PSM »

conebeckham wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:51 pm All I can really say, in the end, is that you should have confidence if you have "gotten" it--confidence not really contrived. If you do not, then asking and entering into conversation is the only means of clarifying and potentially confirming. There is no way this sort of approach can happen en masse, though, so in the end it boils down to one's own personal experience, even if one confirms with one's teacher.
Tsoknyi Rinpoche told me that in the end the final confirmation of one's experience of rigpa comes from rigpa itself. Asking conceptual mind is asking the "wrong guy".

I do wonder if there is an issue with mahamudra/dzogchen students not having the ability to work with a teacher who can guide them to a concrete understanding in a more personal way over a substantial period of time. It's probably an issue if you "get it" in a completely unambiguous experience, but I don't know how common that is.
treehuggingoctopus

conebeckham wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:01 pmA quality of Recognition is "confidence." But that "confidence" doesn't mean one cannot confirm with the guru. That is actually an appropriate thing to do, though admittedly not always an easy thing to do.

"The process of validation can be short or long, but it requires a competent master who knows you and listens to you while you reply specific questions, not from hearsay or book learning, but from present experience and not from a memory of a peak experience in the past. Then there can be certainty and this certainty can be put to the test next time you get angry, attached, proud, jealous or close-minded. If you are able to step out of that toxic emotion in an instant and stay in nondual mind, then it’s for real."
That seems to be the dominant approach, and certainly the traditional one. And it feels intuitive and, well, right. But then there are Dzogchen masters who refuse to verify your recognition (or its lack), and will actually go so far as to refuse to talk with you about it.

Worse, they even tell you that no master can verify your recognition.

:shrug:

Edmond Jabès
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:54 pm
conebeckham wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:01 pmA quality of Recognition is "confidence." But that "confidence" doesn't mean one cannot confirm with the guru. That is actually an appropriate thing to do, though admittedly not always an easy thing to do.

"The process of validation can be short or long, but it requires a competent master who knows you and listens to you while you reply specific questions, not from hearsay or book learning, but from present experience and not from a memory of a peak experience in the past. Then there can be certainty and this certainty can be put to the test next time you get angry, attached, proud, jealous or close-minded. If you are able to step out of that toxic emotion in an instant and stay in nondual mind, then it’s for real."
That seems to be the dominant approach, and certainly the traditional one. And it feels intuitive and, well, right. But then there are Dzogchen masters who refuse to verify your recognition (or its lack), and will actually go so far as to refuse to talk with you about it.

Worse, they even tell you that no master can verify your recognition.

:shrug:
Well, it would seem there are as many scenarios as there are guru/disciple relationships, doesn't it? :smile:

treehuggingoctopus

Absolutely. Very confusing, it also is.

Edmond Jabès
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

It is probably "meant" to be confusing since it is not something that is meant to satisfy rationalising/dualistic mind.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
florin

Post by florin »

The thing is that the guru cannot show you your nature even with the help of his own words let alone with the help of descriptions that come out from someone else's mouth.
Ogyen

Post by Ogyen »

florin wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:05 pm The thing is that the guru cannot show you your nature even with the help of his own words let alone with the help of descriptions that come out from someone else's mouth.
Please elaborate, because with what I am understanding or perhaps interpreting, I do not agree at all.

An authentic teacher will speak and whether there are 2 or 200 students who have a karmic connection with him, everyone seems to think they are addressing them personally in their teachings. Their language is so direct and penetrates all the noise so that one is introduced to one's primordial state. It's something I've only verbally verified with other students who all experienced the same, and my personal experience corroborates. Maybe they're mass deluded to the outside viewer, but the synchronicity is hard to simply discard...

If you mean the root teacher can't SHOW you your self, perhaps it's framing the concept erroneously from the outset, like asking someone to see with your eyes to show you something, in which case I agree with your first part of the sentence.

If you mean the root teacher can't show you the direct path to for you to see your own nature unequivocally and with their mere words, I respectfully and strongly disagree. And so would anyone who's received that direct introduction.

And if I've completely misunderstood, please disregard my response as ramblings. :twothumbsup:

:meditate:
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive - nosce te ipsum

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Ogyen wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:30 pmIf you mean the root teacher can't SHOW you your self ...

Show you your WHAT??!!
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Ogyen wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:30 pm
florin wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:05 pm The thing is that the guru cannot show you your nature even with the help of his own words let alone with the help of descriptions that come out from someone else's mouth.
Please elaborate, because with what I am understanding or perhaps interpreting, I do not agree at all.

An authentic teacher will speak and whether there are 2 or 200 students who have a karmic connection with him, everyone seems to think they are addressing them personally in their teachings. Their language is so direct and penetrates all the noise so that one is introduced to one's primordial state. It's something I've only verbally verified with other students who all experienced the same, and my personal experience corroborates. Maybe they're mass deluded to the outside viewer, but the synchronicity is hard to simply discard...

If you mean the root teacher can't SHOW you your self, perhaps it's framing the concept erroneously from the outset, like asking someone to see with your eyes to show you something, in which case I agree with your first part of the sentence.

If you mean the root teacher can't show you the direct path to for you to see your own nature unequivocally and with their mere words, I respectfully and strongly disagree. And so would anyone who's received that direct introduction.

And if I've completely misunderstood, please disregard my response as ramblings. :twothumbsup:

:meditate:
I too am a bit confused by the assertion that a teacher cannot show you your nature with "his own words," etc.
There are numerous instructions, given by various teachers, and these instructions are said to have been effective, if we are to believe the words of anyone who has "recognized" their nature.

But, to be clear, there is "Tendrel" in play here; it is not the words alone which effect the recognition. The student has to be "prepared," so to speak...receptive and attentive, and some compassion and devotion may help grease the wheels too. That's part of the Karmic connection, too, I think.

treehuggingoctopus

Grigoris wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:50 pmIt is probably "meant" to be confusing since it is not something that is meant to satisfy rationalising/dualistic mind.
That is how I account for it on the sunnier days too. Then there is probably the issue of expedient means: different strokes for different students, one would guess.
florin wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:05 pmThe thing is that the guru cannot show you your nature even with the help of his own words let alone with the help of descriptions that come out from someone else's mouth.
Some teachers say that. Others say the exact opposite. Ah, how one could fail to love Vajrayana?

Edmond Jabès

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”