Inner Heat

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
wisdom

Inner Heat

Post by wisdom » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:50 am

Is Inner Heat practice primarily Mahamudra, or are there equivalents in Dzogchen? Also, is it primarily taught in Kagyu schools (because of Naropa) or do all the lineages teach it?

Thomas Amundsen

Re: Inner Heat

Post by Thomas Amundsen » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:46 am

wisdom wrote:Is Inner Heat practice primarily Mahamudra, or are there equivalents in Dzogchen? Also, is it primarily taught in Kagyu schools (because of Naropa) or do all the lineages teach it?
The Nyingma lama I practice with talks about it. It's even discussed in Zen in relation to the "hara."

heart

Post by heart » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:43 am

wisdom wrote:Is Inner Heat practice primarily Mahamudra, or are there equivalents in Dzogchen? Also, is it primarily taught in Kagyu schools (because of Naropa) or do all the lineages teach it?
It is taught in all lineages.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Karma Lodro Senge

Post by Karma Lodro Senge » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:20 pm

It is talked about in all lineages of Buddhism, but it is most prominent in TIbetan Buddhism. I have even heard of Theravada monks practicing this Tummo (Tibetan) meditation. And also sat with one Zen monk discussing it as well.
Karma Lodro Senge

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion. — His Holiness Dalai Lama

Chandali

Post by Chandali » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:20 am

from what I known most lineages of Tibetan buddhism practice it (or say so). Certainly gelug and kagyu practice them. Then some other traditions practice it under different names: It can be found in hatha yoga as 'maha bandha', which means the three major bandhas together (uddiana, mula and jalandhara) while holding breath (kumbhaka).

himalayanspirit

Post by himalayanspirit » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:50 pm

I practice internal martial arts (Chinese) and have come to the stage where I can feel the "inner heat" on my Dantien (lower abdomen) region after practicing for a while. Does that count?

:mrgreen: