Benefits of Medicine Buddha Mantra

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
heart

Re: Benefits of Medicine Buddha Mantra

Post by heart »

Rakz wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:13 pm
heart wrote:
Nighthawk wrote:Why do mantras always promise "unlimited benefits" such as wealth, happiness etc. I've been practicing the nembutsu for quite some time and haven't really noticed any major changes in my life, but then again I only recite to gain birth for Buddhahood. Do people really feel their lives are changing once they take up the practice of reciting a mantra?
It isn't about reciting a mantra, a sadhana is quite a lot more than that, at least in the Tibetan tradition. It does change your life.

/magnus
How has it changed yours?
It opened up a vast space where things where crowded and stuffy. It is a real miracle.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
KiwiNFLFan

Post by KiwiNFLFan »

Do you need empowerment to chant the Medicine Buddha mantra?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

KiwiNFLFan wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:24 am Do you need empowerment to chant the Medicine Buddha mantra?
No. Actually, if I am not mistaken, because the mantra comes from a Sutra you don't officially need a lung (ritual reading) either. Empowerment is for self-visualisation.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
WeiHan

Post by WeiHan »

Medicine Buddha is indeed a popular and widely recognised as suitable practices for sentient beings in this degenerate age. It is so popular that almost every Vajrayana centres and monasteries practiced it on a regular basis just like green tara pujas. In the general Mahayana, it is also well recognised along with Amitabha practice such that one will often see Medicine buddha Statues along side Buddha sakyamuni in many Mahayana monasteries.

There are many stories in Chinese sources about how people are cured of fatal diseases such as cancer, find suitable jobs, have accidents averted etc.. by doing this practice but I do not have time or the capacity to translate and share with you guys but I'll post the link and we just pray...http://www.buddhist-experience.org/welc ... &get_sort=

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”