New Lotus Sutra translation

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

New Lotus Sutra translation

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

http://read.84000.co/translation/toh113 ... uhnxOYSEVs
The White Lotus of the Good Dharma, popularly known as the Lotus Sūtra, is taught by Buddha Śākyamuni on Vulture Peak to an audience that includes bodhisattvas from countless realms, as well as bodhisattvas who emerge out from the ground from the space below this world. Buddha Prabhūtaratna, who has long since passed into nirvāṇa, appears within a floating stūpa to hear the sūtra, and Śākyamuni enters the stūpa and sits beside him. The Lotus Sūtra is celebrated, particularly in East Asia, for its presentation of crucial elements of the Mahāyāna tradition, such as the doctrine that there is only one yāna, or “vehicle”; the distinction between expedient and definite teachings; and the notion that the Buddha’s life, enlightenment, and parinirvāṇa were simply manifestations of his transcendent buddhahood, while he continues to teach eternally. A recurring theme in the sūtra is its own significance in teaching these points during past and future eons, with many passages in which the Buddha and bodhisattvas such as Samantabhadra describe the great benefits that come from devotion to it, the history of its past devotees, and how it is the Buddha’s ultimate teaching, supreme over all other sūtras.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Re: New Lotus Sutra translation

Post by narhwal90 »

That is possibly the clumsiest and slowest document format I've ever seen- couldn't see a link to download the file- is it available in pdf etc?
DewachenVagabond

Re: New Ltus Sutra translation

Post by DewachenVagabond »

Thanks for posting this. I've got a translation I haven't read yet, but I think I'll read this instead. The translation I have has some strange translation choices-- maybe not technically wrong, just strange and maybe a little clunky. Things like "perviousnesses" for defilements, "absolute-beingness" for eternalism, "animus of cognizance" for alaya consciousness, and "all the multibeings" for "all living beings".

I'm more interested in the Tibetan version anyway.
:bow: :buddha1: :bow: :anjali: :meditate:
Malcolm

Re: New Lotus Sutra translation

Post by Malcolm »

narhwal90 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:14 pm That is possibly the clumsiest and slowest document format I've ever seen- couldn't see a link to download the file- is it available in pdf etc?
http://read.84000.co/data/toh113_84000- ... dharma.pdf

This translation is definitely the gold standard of all English translations to date.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

SonamTashi wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:33 pm
There are many corrections made upon the Tibetan translation in this rendition by PAR. He is one of the world's top translators, and also, couldn't be a nicer person.
DewachenVagabond

Post by DewachenVagabond »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:38 pm
SonamTashi wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:33 pm
There are many corrections made upon the Tibetan translation in this rendition by PAR. He is one of the world's top translators, and also, couldn't be a nicer person.
:twothumbsup:
:bow: :buddha1: :bow: :anjali: :meditate:

Return to “Sūtra Studies”