Help finding sutra: those characterized by lust/anger/etc.

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Help finding sutra: those characterized by lust/anger/etc.

Post by 明安 Myoan » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:19 pm

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me find a sutra I recently read here or that was linked here.

It generalized three types of afflicted people. It described that those afflicted by lust are prone to minor transgressions, enjoy entertainment, are easily cold, and various positive and negative qualities. Kind of an unusual list of qualities.

For those afflicted by anger, the sutra said they are prone to great transgressions, remember things said for a long time, can endure great hardship, are brave, and so on with positive/negative qualities. The third group I forget, maybe stupidity :lol:

Anyhow, does this ring a bell for anyone?
Thanks!
With a heart wandering in ignorance down this path and that, to guide me I simply say Namu-Amida-Butsu. -- Ippen

The Fundamental Vow [of Amitabha Buddha] is just for such people as woodcutters and grassgatherers, vegetable pickers, drawers of water and the like, illiterate folk who merely recite the Buddha's name wholeheartedly, confident that as a result of saying "Namu Amida Butsu" they will be born into the western land. -- Master Hōnen

明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Re: Help finding sutra: those characterized by lust/anger/etc.

Post by 明安 Myoan » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:06 pm

I got lucky and found it on the BDK's free PDF site: The Sutra on the Concentration of Sitting Meditation

From the intro:
In the Traditional portion, the manual first advises instructors of meditation to observe the inclinations of practitioners. Practitioners are classified into five different types: those who are primarily inclined to lust, anger, ignorance, or discursive thoughts as separate tendencies, and those who are troubled by a combination of these problems. Then an appropriate remedy is prescribed for each type...
The one I couldn't remember was ignorance :lol:
With a heart wandering in ignorance down this path and that, to guide me I simply say Namu-Amida-Butsu. -- Ippen

The Fundamental Vow [of Amitabha Buddha] is just for such people as woodcutters and grassgatherers, vegetable pickers, drawers of water and the like, illiterate folk who merely recite the Buddha's name wholeheartedly, confident that as a result of saying "Namu Amida Butsu" they will be born into the western land. -- Master Hōnen

narhwal90

Post by narhwal90 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:43 pm

Many thanks for posting this, going to look closely at it. 😀

Sentient Light

Post by Sentient Light » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:31 pm

When I read that section, I felt like it was talking directly about me and calling me out on my shit.
:buddha1: Nam mô A di đà Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Quan Thế Âm Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Đại Thế Chi Bồ Tát :bow:

:buddha1: Nam mô Bổn sư Thích ca mâu ni Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Di lặc Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Địa tạng vương Bồ tát :bow:

Return to “Sūtra Studies”