The Three Bodies of the Buddha Sutra

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
kirtu
Former staff member

The Three Bodies of the Buddha Sutra

Post by kirtu »

The 84000 project has just released their translation of the Āryatrikāyanāmamahāyānasūtra, the Noble Mahayana Sutra of the Three Bodies, The Sutra of the Three Bodies, ’phags pa sku gsum zhes bya ba theg pa chen po’i mdo, འཕགས་པ་སྐུ་གསུམ་ཞེས་བྱ་བ་ཐེག་པ་ཆེན་པོའི་མདོ།.

The translation is here.

The ACIP Tibetan version is here, section མདོ་སྡེ volume , H 285.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
TrimePema

Re: The Three Bodies of the Buddha Sutra

Post by TrimePema »

:thanks: :thanks: :thanks:
:namaste:
practitioner

Post by practitioner »

Very nice translation, I love reading very short sutras such as these when I have a break during a hectic day.
One should do nothing other than benefit sentient beings either directly or indirectly - Shantideva
plwk

Post by plwk »

:twothumbsup:
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

A very good sutra. Interesting that there is only one on the kayas in the Kangyur
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
sherabzangpo

Post by sherabzangpo »

I translated this sutra in November 2012. I believe my translation is a better in some ways (I think there may be some mistakes in the 84000 version), but I have yet to do a thorough comparison. Here is the link:

http://sugatagarbhatranslations.com/201 ... yas-sutra/
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

sherabzangpo wrote:I translated this sutra in November 2012. I believe my translation is a better in some ways (I think there may be some mistakes in the 84000 version), but I have yet to do a thorough comparison. Here is the link:

The fact you take ālaya as the ālayavijñāna is an (understandable) error in your translation (not to mention rendering ālaya as "storehouse"). There is no evidence from the Tibetan text that such a literal reading is warranted.

Finally, in both translations, neither of you have rendered "gnas su dag" perfectly. Hence it would be better to render it as "the purified ālaya is...", "the purified afflicted mind is...".

My point is that there is no such a thing as a finished translation, and all translations are subject to scrutiny and correction, as well as differences of opinion. I have found it to be unprofitable to make bold statements about other translators work unless they are completely incompetent, and neither of you are incompetent.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Malcolm wrote:
sherabzangpo wrote:I translated this sutra in November 2012. I believe my translation is a better in some ways (I think there may be some mistakes in the 84000 version), but I have yet to do a thorough comparison. Here is the link:

The fact you take ālaya as the ālayavijñāna is an (understandable) error in your translation (not to mention rendering ālaya as "storehouse"). There is no evidence from the Tibetan text that such a literal reading is warranted.

Finally, in both translations, neither of you have rendered "gnas su dag" perfectly. Hence it would be better to render it as "the purified ālaya is...", "the purified afflicted mind is...".

My point is that there is no such a thing as a finished translation, and all translations are subject to scrutiny and correction, as well as differences of opinion. I have found it to be unprofitable to make bold statements about other translators work unless they are completely incompetent, and neither of you are incompetent.
It is a short one Malcolm - give us your version please.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Will wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

It is a short one Malcolm - give us your version please.
There is little point, both are fine as far as they go.

Return to “Sūtra Studies”