Mo-ho-Chih-kuan forthcoming

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Re: Mo-ho-Chih-kuan forthcoming

Post by narhwal90 »

... going to need reading glasses myself. $90 for the set
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Queequeg wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:00 am Mine arrived too!

Font is probably 10? Footnotes 8?
Gadzooks, horrid sounding!

Perhaps I should take a chance on one of those Laser eye fixit operations.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

Gonna need more than a laser fixit to read these puppies lol :thumbsup:
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

90 for the set.

One volume is appendices, glossary, and supplemental texts. Pretty good value for the breadth of material...
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Amazon said a delay in shipping has manifested. So between the small type, price and having read and not finished too much lately - I cancelled the order.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
GDPR_Anonymized001

Post by GDPR_Anonymized001 »

Queequeg wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:53 am 90 for the set.

One volume is appendices, glossary, and supplemental texts. Pretty good value for the breadth of material...
Thank you, I ordered a copy. Surprised at the price to be honest, 90 dollars for a three volume hard bound set seems quite low. I can't imagine the translator is making much, if any, compensation for this. One day maybe merit will pay the bills, until then I hope he has a great pension.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

It's paperback...

I don't think professors go into the academy to get rich. Life of the mind, as I once heard a guy say. There's a good essay on Swanson's page at Nanzan University sharing his thoughts on completing the translation...

Discoveries Upon Translating the Mo-ho Chih-kuan
http://nirc.nanzan-u.ac.jp/en/files/201 ... 1_2012.pdf

He seems quite content. He got to wrestle with this text as a job for 30 years. Fortunate man.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,

Return to “Sūtra Studies”