Kṣitigarbha Bodhisattva Pūrvapraṇidhāna Sūtra

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
pael

Kṣitigarbha Bodhisattva Pūrvapraṇidhāna Sūtra

Post by pael »

Is Kṣitigarbha Bodhisattva Pūrvapraṇidhāna Sūtra in Tibetan Canon?
May all beings be free from suffering and causes of suffering
goldenlight

Re: Kṣitigarbha Bodhisattva Pūrvapraṇidhāna Sūtra

Post by goldenlight »

pael wrote:Is Kṣitigarbha Bodhisattva Pūrvapraṇidhāna Sūtra in Tibetan Canon?
It is an important Sutra in the Chinese Mahayana Tradition,The Sanskrit original is lost. :namaste: :buddha1:
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

I have a suspicion that it is not part of the Tibetan canon, since the Ksitigarbha references that I have seen from Tibetan teachers tend to cite the Mahayana Mahasamnipata Ksitigarbha Dasacakra Sutra, known as 大乘大集地藏十輪經 in Chinese (often shortened to 地藏十輪經).
Motova

Post by Motova »

pael wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:41 pm Is Kṣitigarbha Bodhisattva Pūrvapraṇidhāna Sūtra in Tibetan Canon?
Bump.
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
Sentient Light

Post by Sentient Light »

Motova wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:54 pm
pael wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:41 pm Is Kṣitigarbha Bodhisattva Pūrvapraṇidhāna Sūtra in Tibetan Canon?
Bump.
No.

But it should be noted that the first evidence of Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva belief in the archaeological record appears in the 4th century CE, some three hundred years prior to the 7th century Chinese translation.
:buddha1: Nam mô A di đà Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Quan Thế Âm Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Đại Thế Chi Bồ Tát :bow:

:buddha1: Nam mô Bổn sư Thích ca mâu ni Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Di lặc Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Địa tạng vương Bồ tát :bow:
crazy-man

Post by crazy-man »

Kangyur
sūtra / mdo sde
daśacakra-kṣitigarbha-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra
http://databases.aibs.columbia.edu/inde ... ll=kangyur
tantra / rgyud
ārya-kṣitigarbha-aṣṭottaraśataka-nāma-dhāraṇī-mantra-sahita
http://databases.aibs.columbia.edu/inde ... ll=kangyur
Some scholars suspected that instead of being translated, this text may have originated in China since no Sanskrit manuscripts of this text have been found.(Buswell 1990, p. 178) Part of the reason for suspicion is that the text advocates filial piety, which was stereotypically associated with Chinese culture. Since then, other scholars such as Gregory Schopen have pointed out that Indian Buddhism also had traditions of filial piety. (Schopen 1984) Currently there is no clear evidence indicating either an Indian or Chinese origin for the text.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%E1%B9%A ... S%C5%ABtra
9-petalled lotus

Post by 9-petalled lotus »

I have not heard of Tibetan monks or followers of Tibetan Buddhism talk about Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva,the Bodhisatva that I focus alot on now.Do they believe in Him?I know they worship Medicine Guru,Tathagata of the Lapis Lazuli Light,but not Ksitigarbha Maha Bodhisattva.
Some Chinese Mahayan Buddhists tell people not to worship this Bodhisattva at home,or the house would be frequented by spirits.What spirits?Good or bad spirits?Not all spirits are bad,right?
I am a Purelander who also listen to YouTube recitation of the Sutra of Ksitigarbha(in Mandarin),and recite His name.I used to have bad dreams,like strange abstract symbols that scared the wits out of me.Also have a few "awake-but-unable-to-open-my-eyes-or-move"experiences in the morning.Since I started reciting NAMO AMITABHA and NAMO KSITIGARBHA BODHSATTVA,I have never had bad dreams or that terrifying experience in the morning.
Trust your experience.I do.
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

9-petalled lotus wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:35 am I have not heard of Tibetan monks or followers of Tibetan Buddhism talk about Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva,the Bodhisatva that I focus alot on now.Do they believe in Him?
Tibetan Buddhists do have some Ksitigarbha practices, these tend to be for protection from disasters, although there are lots of deities and bodhisattvas we can rely on for this so it depends on the individual.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

9-petalled lotus wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:35 am I have not heard of Tibetan monks or followers of Tibetan Buddhism talk about Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva,the Bodhisatva that I focus alot on now.Do they believe in Him?I know they worship Medicine Guru,Tathagata of the Lapis Lazuli Light,but not Ksitigarbha Maha Bodhisattva.
Some Chinese Mahayan Buddhists tell people not to worship this Bodhisattva at home,or the house would be frequented by spirits.What spirits?Good or bad spirits?Not all spirits are bad,right?
I am a Purelander who also listen to YouTube recitation of the Sutra of Ksitigarbha(in Mandarin),and recite His name.I used to have bad dreams,like strange abstract symbols that scared the wits out of me.Also have a few "awake-but-unable-to-open-my-eyes-or-move"experiences in the morning.Since I started reciting NAMO AMITABHA and NAMO KSITIGARBHA BODHSATTVA,I have never had bad dreams or that terrifying experience in the morning.
Trust your experience.I do.
Actually Lama Zopa has advised that a one-storey Ksitigarbha statue be built as part of a monastery project in Italy, because it will be beneficial for the monastics keeping correct ethical conduct.
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
DewachenVagabond

Post by DewachenVagabond »

Jamgon Kongtrul refers to a Tibetan version of the Kṣitigarbha Sūtra in The Torch of Certainty (page 34, with the Tibetan title on page 50 n. 14). The title is given as: 'Phags-pa sa'i snying-po'i mtshan brgya-rtsa-brgyad gzung-shags dang bcas-pa
:bow: :buddha1: :bow: :anjali: :meditate:

Return to “Sūtra Studies”