Lotus Sūtra study guide website

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
Zhen Li

Lotus Sūtra study guide website

Post by Zhen Li » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:23 pm

Namaste all.

The following website is an ongoing collation of chapter by chapter study guides that are being used in a reading group with members of my local sangha. If anyone is interested in studying the Lotus Sūtra, they may be of help.

https://sites.google.com/site/learningthelotussutra/

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Re: Lotus Sūtra study guide website

Post by Queequeg » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:59 pm

Very nice. Thank you. :smile:
“Once you have given up the ghost, everything follows with dead certainty, even in the midst of chaos.”
-Henry Miller

"Language is the liquid that we're all dissolved in.
Great for solving problems, after it creates a problem."
-Modest Mouse

narhwal90

Post by narhwal90 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:18 pm

Likewise! Its great to have it from additional perspectives. Reading today's chapters now :)

Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:44 pm

Glad it was of help.

It is mostly unedited as of now, so for the first few chapters I was using the page numbers in the Kubo and Yuyama translation, but as different editions have different page numbers, I switched to the Taishō page numbers instead. I'll have to update these eventually.

Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:08 am

Zhen Li wrote:Namaste all.

The following website is an ongoing collation of chapter by chapter study guides that are being used in a reading group with members of my local sangha. If anyone is interested in studying the Lotus Sūtra, they may be of help.

https://sites.google.com/site/learningthelotussutra/
This study guide cites very specific verse lines, the translation I use (mostly because it is the most convenient) does not list these verse lines, it merely has chapters marked.

Do you know a translation available online in English that has these verse lines included? Or just a translation that has them in general?
神足示現者,
世尊隨其所應,而示現入禪定正受,陵虛至東方,作四威儀,
行、住、坐、臥,入火三昧,出種種火光,青、黃、赤、白、
紅、頗梨色,水火俱現, 或身下出火,身上出水,身上出火,
身下出水,周圓四方亦復如是。

Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:03 am

They are Taisho page numbers for the Kumarajiva translation. The BDK Lotus Sutra has these in the column.

Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:35 pm

The pages are all up now, in case anyone was following along.

The formatting is not perfect and the page numbers could do with some revision, but otherwise, I hope it can be of some benefit.

Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:42 am

Thank you for sharing this, Zhen Li :anjali:
  • 南無阿弥陀佛
  • 南無妙法蓮華經
  • 南無観世音菩薩

narhwal90

Post by narhwal90 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:49 pm

Likewise :) The additional content and commentary is very welcome, and I appreciate very much that the pages are browser friendly- makes them a lot more usable. Many thanks!

Bergrisi

Post by Bergrisi » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:47 pm

I find this Lotus Sutra quite interesting.

When i was in my thirties i used to work a lot. I had set up my own company, made some investments, and to pay for all this i had 2 jobs.
There was a time period where i had to finish a few projects i was working on and at the end of this period i had become so tired that at one point i stopped working because i couldn't remember what i was doing anymore.

For some reason, the only thing that was left in my mind was this Lotus Sutra.
That is weird because i am a Christian living in Iceland, where there are almost no Buddhists, and at the time i had no interest in any religion.

I went trough this Sutra a few times in my mind for maybe 3-4 minutes, and it was like i had somehow found a little extra energy reserves that i didn't know about, and it was enough for me to finish what i was doing.

I did this for a few months but then stopped thinking about it.
It seems to me that this can actually work, and you dont have to follow any religion or believe system for it to work.