Avatamsaka Translation Question

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
ThreeVows

Avatamsaka Translation Question

Post by ThreeVows »

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with the Sanskrit names for a few of the classes of beings in the beginning of the Avatamsaka Sutra.

The types listed are:

Enlightening Beings, thunderbolt-bearing spirits, multiple-body spirits, footstep-following spirits, sanctuary spirits, city spirits, earth spirits, mountain spirits, forest spirits, herb spirits, crop spirits, river spirits, ocean spirits, water spirits, fire spirits, wind spirits, space spirits, direction spirits, night spirits, day spirits, titan kings, garuda kings, mahoraga kings, yaksha kings, naga kings, kumbanda kings, gandharva kings, moon deities, sun deities, kings of the 33 heavens, kings of the Suyama heavens, kings of the Tusita heavens, kings of the heavens of enjoyment of emanations, kings of the heavens of free enjoyment of others' emanations, kings of the great brahma heavens, heaven in which light is used for sound, heavens of universal purity, heavens of vast results, and the heavens of great freedom.

Most of them I think are pretty easily understood - the various desire realm/form realm heavens are listed, and then various commonly known classes of beings like yakshas, mahoragas, garudas, etc. Enlightening beings being bodhisattvas, presumably Mahabodhisattvas.

But I'm a bit unclear about the 'multiple-body spirits' and 'footstep following spirits' specifically, as well as generally how the various spirits (city, earth, etc) would be classified.

If anyone knows anything about this I'd appreciate it. If not, oh well, it's probably not that important at the moment anyway :P
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Avatamsaka Translation Question

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Do not know if either the Tibetan or Sanskrit versions of the Avatamsaka have been rendered into English yet.

But if you go to part one of chapter one of Master Hua's commentary, he describes the nature of these varied beings:

http://www.cttbusa.org/fas1/fas_contents.asp
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
ThreeVows

Post by ThreeVows »

Nicholas Weeks wrote:Do not know if either the Tibetan or Sanskrit versions of the Avatamsaka have been rendered into English yet.

But if you go to part one of chapter one of Master Hua's commentary, he describes the nature of these varied beings:

http://www.cttbusa.org/fas1/fas_contents.asp
Excellent, thank you.

Also, I just want to deeply and truly express gratitude and appreciation for your focus on the Sutras - I cannot really put into words how important I think this focus can be. :anjali: :bow: :bow:
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Seeker12 wrote:Also, I just want to deeply and truly express gratitude and appreciation for your focus on the Sutras - I cannot really put into words how important I think this focus can be. :anjali: :bow: :bow:
Kind of you to say so.

Yes, reciting the sutras aloud, alone or in a group, is one way to help radiate the soothing presence of the buddhadharma. Considering the stupid, vile and angry use of words sounding out from much of humanity now, sutra recitation is a much needed practice.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
ThreeVows

Post by ThreeVows »

Nicholas Weeks wrote:Kind of you to say so.

Yes, reciting the sutras aloud, alone or in a group, is one way to help radiate the soothing presence of the buddhadharma. Considering the stupid, vile and angry use of words sounding out from much of humanity now, sutra recitation is a much needed practice.
I recently started reading the Avatamsaka aloud. I figure it may take months or years to finish in its entirety, as I'm not rushing it really, but that's my intention.
ThreeVows

Post by ThreeVows »

Also, this link is basically exactly what I was looking for, thanks again.

Return to “Sūtra Studies”